10 Cheeky Days

Archived trip reports

Re: 10 Cheeky Days

Postby KN9700 » 09 Oct 2019, 15:29

My wife and I had 12 wonderful days on our favourite holiday destination in September.
Now we are looking forward to the experiences of our two favourite bloggers - D&E and Silverfox - being on Symi at the same time.
As we use to we had wonderful food during our stay. In this forum it has been discussed how the food was at the new Mythos. We can warmly recommend the place. Stavros has not forgotten how to cook during his stay on Rhodes last summer. We had a tasteful moussaka and a wonderful pork dish with creamy potatoes, all very delicious.
We wish you, our superbloggers, a nice travel to the rock and a wonderful stay that you´ll hopefully write a lot about.
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 10 Oct 2019, 07:13

Hope our bloggers arrived safely on Symi yesterday and those chairs at the Rainbow have dried out after the rain on Tuesday - we don't want any wet bottoms ;) I do really miss the Symi webcam for my morning view of Symi harbour and the live weather updates :X
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 10 Oct 2019, 11:17

KN9700 wrote: In this forum it has been discussed how the food was at the new Mythos. We can warmly recommend the place. Stavros has not forgotten how to cook during his stay on Rhodes last summer. We had a tasteful moussaka and a wonderful pork dish with creamy potatoes, all very delicious.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your meal at the new Mythos. I was slightly disappointed with my visit but it was quite early in the season and he hadn't been open for very long. From what you say he must have sorted any small problems and it's good to know he's back to producing his excellent dishes. Perhaps D&E will pay him a visit so we can read their expert opinion too.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby D and E » 10 Oct 2019, 13:43

We will be reporting on Stavros but not at Mythos :shock:

We have just been with him & Manolis at Oddysia for a beer and they are working together now and next season. Good well be a match made in culinary heaven.

We will report back on our experience there over the next few day’s.

In the meantime it’s back to these lovely mezes in Elpida’s 8-)
D and E
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Allan » 10 Oct 2019, 16:03

D and E wrote:We have just been with him & Manolis at Oddysia for a beer and they are working together now and next season. Good well be a match made in culinary heaven.

Well, that IS good news! I was surprised by Stavros' obvious close links with his neighbour and landlord. It didn't seem a good fit to me. Stavros working with Oddysia sounds "right" somehow and I wish them both well.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 10 Oct 2019, 18:02

Apologies for the lack of posting... The laptop is not working.... I'm trying to sort and update as soon as I can
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Jan » 10 Oct 2019, 19:16

Excellent news re Stavros. He looked miserable in September and we heard rumours that he was looking for a more congenial partner, so pleased (a) that he's found one and (b) that as Harani residents he'll be on our doorstep.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby silverfox » 11 Oct 2019, 06:35

Wednesday 9th

The Journey

Well the preparations haven’t gone that well as I was out on the beer on Monday night for a work colleague leaving meet up and despite my early night intention I ended up staying the course with a late night curry. The result was a migraine Tuesday morning so ended up in bed most of the day and missing a day at work!

Last minute packing of the gadgets but I'm trying to cut down what I'm taking, and a quick haircut before an early night.

There is a change this trip as our son Martin is on holiday in Menorca so we drive ourselves to Manchester airport and use the meet and greet at Terminal 2.

We set off just after 2am and decided to go through Castleton, Winnats Pass and on the new link road. Empty roads got us to the airport where we somehow missed the turn into the airport which added an extra 10 mins to the journey. We were into the very efficient Meet and Greet, our timing is perfect as we are through the check in desk in no time and through security, both getting random searched and Liz got wanded!.

We were emailed last last night warning of a 45 minute delay and so I went of piste and ordered a pint in the airport bar, Liz ordering a coffee. There did seem to be a lot of kids around, thought it was still term time? Luckily we didn’t have the long walk as the gate was announced and was one downstairs where you get on the buses but it was only a few hundred yards to the Boeing 767. We boarded fairly quickly and seated one row from the back with a tiny baby in the seat in front. It was a good flight where I made friends with Jack – the drink, not the quiet little baby in front. Liz went for fizzy!

jack.jpg

drink.jpg

Choas ensued at the baggage carousel where after the first raft of cases they stopped for 10 minutes and a cheer went up as they finally restarted.

On to the bus which started to fill up with Germans and we finally set off towards Falaraki which slightly worried us, we began to wonder whether we were on the right bus. Olympic are great at these things and you are never quite sure what is happening. Just before Fakaraki we turned back towards Rhodes Town and we were at last dropped off at Mouragio Taverna where we are greeted by familiar faces that we have never met before. The famous master bloggers D&E, the very people who inspired me to do these blogs.

I don’t ask for an autograph, that can wait for later in the week.

salad.jpg

chips.jpg

We have our usual Greek Salad and our first taste of the chips made with the wonderful potatoes here, washed down with a couple a Mythos. D&E had already headed down to the ferry but we found them in the open deck after we had collected our tickets from the booth.

boat.jpg

A pleasant crossing where we shared a few drinks and has a good chat – noticing that the sun was setting we left Rhodes and it was so dark by the time we arrived at Symi.

A quick drive up to Taxiarchis were we are given room 18 which is just below where we stayed in June where an even quicker refresh before walking back up the hill.

A quick hello with Neil, Toby and Yianni before our traditional first night fare in Georgios with the superb Shrimp Pasties, Green beans and the wonderful Beef in Metaxa.

beef.jpg

There are a few familiar faces around slightly worse for wear that have been on the round the island boat trip and after a few Ouzo night caps in Yiannis Rainbow Bar we are slightly worse for wear too! This is not helped by Yianni bringing the last drink on the house!

ncap.jpg

We head for bed after a long tiring day.

Well worth it though to be back on Symi!
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Trip Reports