10 Cheeky Days

Archived trip reports

10 Cheeky Days

Postby silverfox » 04 Oct 2019, 15:24

10 Cheeky Days in Month 10

Starting the blog early as usual and we are so happy that we have managed to get an extra 10 cheeky days at the end of the Symi season. We fly out on Wednesday 9th October from Manchester 7am and so lucky our flights are with Tui and not Thomas Cook and feel so sorry for others who have lost their precious time on the rock, and also feel sorry for all the staff and small businesses losing out and the loss of business on the island too.

test 24.jpg

We hope to meet our fellow bloggers D & E who will be around the same time we are there but we are not sure we will keep up with their eating habits as we plan a cheap trip with more bread and cheese back at the apartments etc… We will see if that pans out but it will be great to share a drink with the top bloggers!

church.jpg

We do need a bit of last minute advice on weather will we need a pair of trousers and jumper for night time temperatures and advice on which tavernas are still open?

sunrise 24.jpg

Only 2 more days to work!
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: 10 Cheeky Days

Postby Gemma1 » 05 Oct 2019, 07:54

Really looking forward to a late Symi fix and glad that your holiday hasn't been affected by the sad demise of Thomas Cook. I'm struggling with the wet and chilly UK weather after my recent holiday in Crete so make the most of that Symi sunshine and I hope the weather stays good for you - it's bound to be better than here ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Dhani » 05 Oct 2019, 11:10

Looking forward to your forthcoming blog and also the D & E blog :D :D
Dhani
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Allan » 06 Oct 2019, 14:38

10 days? I thought you'd only managed a week, lucky you! I'm really looking forward to your blog and it will be even better if you manage to meet up with D&E to combine your blogs!

I too feel sorry for all those affected by Thomas Cook's demise, particularly their employees who suddenly find themselves out of a job through no fault of their own.
The loss of Thomas Cook will have an effect on the island of course but fortunately package tourists are a small minority of Symi visitors these days thanks to companies like booking.com and airbnb. There will be property owners though who rely on payments from Thomas Cook for their clients' accommodation and they are unlikely to see much if anything from the administrators winding up the company. It's a sad state of affairs but Symi has suffered worse over recent years and somehow it survives.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby silverfox » 06 Oct 2019, 16:24

Allan wrote:10 days? I thought you'd only managed a week, lucky you! I'm really looking forward to your blog and it will be even better if you manage to meet up with D&E to combine your blogs!

I too feel sorry for all those affected by Thomas Cook's demise, particularly their employees who suddenly find themselves out of a job through no fault of their own.
The loss of Thomas Cook will have an effect on the island of course but fortunately package tourists are a small minority of Symi visitors these days thanks to companies like booking.com and airbnb. There will be property owners though who rely on payments from Thomas Cook for their clients' accommodation and they are unlikely to see much if anything from the administrators winding up the company. It's a sad state of affairs but Symi has suffered worse over recent years and somehow it survives.

We could have had 14 days for the same price but we could not get enough time off work! :(

I'm sure we will finally meet up with D&E who inspired me, with their great musings, to blog on this fine forum.

Symi will survive as so many good people love the place and need their fix!

I hope you are on the mend my friend and you can go back to a place we both love soon!

:)
silverfox
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 07 Oct 2019, 08:21

Allan wrote:10 days? I thought you'd only managed a week, lucky you! I'm really looking forward to your blog and it will be even better if you manage to meet up with D&E to combine your blogs!

It's the employees and other businesses affected that I feel most sympathy for due to the demise of TC, though of course I feel for those who have lost their holidays too. I'm sure that Symi will survive but there are other Greek islands that have been affected badly - I understand that TC were the only airline to fly direct to Lesbos and believe Skiathos has been badly affected too. I know that my favourite winter destination of Goa has also been affected as TC and TUI were the only airlines to fly there direct from the UK with TC flying 3 times a week from Manchester and their flights were much cheaper than TUI who only fly once a week. Like Symi a lot of people (including us) travel to Goa independently but TC were a scheduled airline as well as offering package holidays and many people booked their flights through TC.

Not long to wait now until Silverfox and D&E return to Symi and bring some Symi sunshine into our lives ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 07 Oct 2019, 08:48

Great to see the Silverfox Blog starting up.

We start our pre Symi warm up today with the tough job of getting Zoë to the cattery. Luckily the little girl was waiting for D when he went downstairs at 7am but having blocked the cat flap there is now a suspicious look on her face :shock:

Alas the cattery that is within 10 minutes drive of our house always takes October as it’s holidays so we have to go further afield and with Zoë’s dislike of the car we face a 45 minute journey with stops to reassure her.

Then it will be back to get the cases down from the loft and get packing; load up the Caxton fx card; and D will download a couple of movies onto his iPad for the flight - and he has booked his window seat so he will be a happy boy.

We head to Birmingham on the 11:30 train tomorrow; stopping over in the Holiday Inn and are on the 07:00 TUI flight so we may well be on the same transfer bus. We will certainly be on the same ferry and we also know where you are late afternoon on the rock :D

Thinking about the tragic loss of Thomas Cook one can only hope that as the demand is still there other emerging companies may already be looking to take over the routes and holidays for future years. Witnessing their sad demise always highlights to us how lucky so many of us are to have Olympic and whilst we always compare with the independent option they still so often prove hard to beat in terms of price.

Right - let’s get Zoë’s cat box :evil: and do the necessary.
D and E
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 08 Oct 2019, 08:19

Safe travels for tomorrow D&E and I've no doubts that I will be doing a lot of drooling once you are on Symi eating all that delicious food ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Trip Reports