Our first visit to Symi

Archived posts about beaches, sightseeing, entertainment....

Our first visit to Symi

Postby Buxton Bob » 15 Apr 2011, 21:37

Me and my lass are coming to Symi for the first time on May 4th, You people on the chat pages make me think that we are going to feel right at home. Can anyone tell us if there is any one thing we must do when we come, your help, advice and recomendations will be most welcome.
Buxton Bob
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby snoopy2 » 15 Apr 2011, 23:24

Oh boy - are you going to get some responses on this one. You will love Symi full stop and will never get round everything in one visit. Although i love Symi to bits my highlight last visit was going for a day trip to Turkey and having a Turkish bath - absolutely wonderful experience - then a wander round the market. Next day just for a change - more sun, sand, swimming, relaxing and good food at Marathounda beach - but hey they are all great as is a wander round Chorio,Yalios and Pedi. You will reel with delight and book right away to go back next year!! Enjoy. 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby Kojak » 16 Apr 2011, 01:03

Well, you should walk up and down the Kalistrata. You only need to walk up once (just to say you've done it). Also treat yourself to a meal at Stavros Roofgarden restaurant. It's a bit more expensive than most but worth it. Ask for the mezes. you'll get a little bit of everything and they'll keep on serving until you can't eat any more.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby Gemma1 » 16 Apr 2011, 09:46

Not sure whereabouts in Symi you are staying Bob but there are some fantastic walks if you're into walking and early May is a great time to do them. If you're travelling with Olympic the rep does a really interesting walk round Chorio but there are lots more and the walk to Emborio past the Elikonis cemetery is one of my favourites and isn't too long or strenuous.

I am sooo envious as I'm not going to Symi this year. Hope you have a fabulous time
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby BPSOMERSET » 16 Apr 2011, 10:35

One of our essential walks, as well as the Nimborio one above, is the walk through the Pedi valley- not down the road, though that is very pleasant. It takes about an hour -ish depending whether you amble like us.

The walk through the pine forests to visit the wine presses is also recommended, particularly on a hot day. Various walking guides are available.

We will be there at the same time as you.
BPSOMERSET
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby Colette » 16 Apr 2011, 15:38

Hi Bob,there are so may things to do(while seemingly doing nothing at all) that I never seem to fit everything in to 2 weeks.I'm sure you will find your own favourite tavernas, walks, beaches etc. Enjoy your holiday
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby Allan » 16 Apr 2011, 19:15

One other must-do is a boat trip. There are three day-trip boats (perhaps just two in May) which all run similar itineraries. The most popular by far is the round the island trip which will usually take you north round the top of the island and then on down the rugged west coast, perhaps calling at Agios Emilianos church, and on to the monastery at Panormitis. After an hour or so look round the monastery it's on to a quiet bay somewhere, either Sesklia, the tiny islet off the south coast of Symi or maybe Marathunda near the south eastern tip of the island for a barbecue lunch and a relaxing few hours soaking up the sun or swimming. Finally it's back up the eastern side of the island to Yialos, probably with a stop at one of the quiet beaches on the way.

It's a lovely way to spend a day on Symi with excellent food (lots of it) and drink (lots of that too!!).

Look out for the boards advertising the trips next to the boats at the top corner of the harbour in Yialos.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Our first visit to Symi

Postby Buxton Bob » 20 Apr 2011, 10:34

Thanks folks, I have the book of walks on order, am looking forward to strolling around Symi. You have given me some great ideas I have a funny feeling that this might be the first of many trips there. Yassou.
Buxton Bob
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby D and E » 29 Apr 2011, 09:31

And make sure you get to St.Nicks by taxi boat or by foot from Pedi - the water there is beautiful and the taverna very welcoming.

Lunch at Nos Beach sharing your bread with the fish is a regular must for us and if Dimitri is "rebuilding" the beach you will be amused for hours !!

Look forward to seeing your posts after your visit and hear what you think of this most wonderful of places -enjoy Bob
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby snoopy2 » 29 Apr 2011, 11:42

I stick to my suggestion as well - two weeks on Symi is great but it is a small island and as Turkey is only a short boat trip away it is good and refreshing to do something else. It was Symi residents and a couple of businesses that told me about the Turkish bath and boy when i go back to Symi - that is for me. The market stretches forever and once you have been pummelled and scrubbed to the bone it is interesting to wander the market before returning to the evening delights of Symi.
Oh and if you go get Rocket for Jenine at The Olive Tree!!!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby Colette » 29 Apr 2011, 21:11

having been to Symi more times than I can remember I can honestly say that small island as it is there is more than enough to do than go Turkey - and yes I did go once with a friend who wanted to have a look, we couldn't wait to get back to Symi. Enjoy tour holiday Bob and I endorse the recomendations about the boat trip -a wonderful day out :)
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby Sweet Soo » 29 Apr 2011, 22:37

Hi D and E. We had a walk round to Nos on Tuesday and it is looking lovely, the terraced area very nicely planted and some brave souls were even swimming!!
Sweet Soo
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby snoopy2 » 30 Apr 2011, 20:24

I endorse what Collette says Bob enjoy your trip - you asked for suggestions and i gave the trip to Turkey as a one day off Symi as we enjoyed it. It is after all different strokes for different folks. Sorry you had a bad day out Collette. :(
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby deegee » 01 May 2011, 01:39

We are due to arrive on May 11th for 2 weeks. I have found this site and forum invaluable and very friendly. There's so much I have noted down to do and see, going by everyones suggestions and photos- just hope the sunbeds and Mythos don't get in the way !! :geek: .
Really looking forward to this trip as it is one we have always wanted to do. First time doing a Greek holiday that involves a ferry crossing too, but any time spent in Rhodes is all part of the holiday too and as far as I'm concerned- once I've handed over my case at the airport, I'm in other people's hands and therefore my holiday begins.
Cases out now and waiting to be packed....can't wait !! :D
deegee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby D and E » 02 May 2011, 22:03

Well deegee, as it is your first ferry into a Greek Island we hope you get to Symi during the day and can get out on deck as even after 13 years and 18 visits (juniors compared to some on this site ) I, D, still get a lump in my throat.

It is one of the great sights as you round the headland and gradually this magical little place comes into view.

Have a wonderful time - we are sure you will
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Our first visit to Symi

Postby deegee » 02 May 2011, 22:21

Thanks very much.
You're adding to my list of things we must do (a long list now)- very grateful !!
We're counting the "sleeps" now. It looks like we may have the late afternoon ferry and I cannot tell you how excited we are because we have always wanted to go to Symi. It looks incredibly beautiful.
David
:D
deegee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to What to do