map and 'walks on Symi'

Archived posts about beaches, sightseeing, entertainment....

map and 'walks on Symi'

Postby lotte » 27 Aug 2011, 17:30

Hello ,
would it be a good idea to buy the book "Walks on Symi" before going? Or can you buy it on the island? Does anyone have the book. I will then maybe buy it on the internet. Hope this will be allright. Thank you so much.
lotte
lotte
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

map and 'walks on Symi'

Postby Allan » 27 Aug 2011, 17:57

The Lance Chilton book "Walks in Symi" used to be available from the Symi Visitor Accommodation office on Symi but I believe they have sold out and have had trouble getting new stock so if you can buy it online before you go that's probably the best thing to do.

I can thoroughly recommend the book. It's very comprehensive with walks suitable for all abilities and comes with a pretty good map. My copy is getting very battered now and I think I'm due to treat myself to a new one.

There are also three walks described on Barry Hankey's site that you can print out before you go. http://www.aartworld.com/GreekIslandWalkshome.htm I would recommend that you print out "Walk 1" if nothing else because it describes in great detail the route through the maze of lanes in Chorio and out onto the kalderimi which is the start of several walks. The description in Lance Chilton's book is good but the pictures in Barry's instructions will help a lot if you haven't been there before.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

map and 'walks on Symi'

Postby FLO » 28 Aug 2011, 00:08

I love the Lance Chilton books but,is it me, or does 'Lance' get others hopelessly LOST too.

We have taken him on holidays to Parga, Stoupa, Thassos,Kos and lesvos.

This year he is accompanying us to Symi, next year Corfu (Arillas) and Crete (Plakias)

Love the walks, but last year I feared for my life clinging onto a cliff near Kefalos on Kos.

When he says for the more agile walker trust me - BELIEVE him!

Great books though - well worth buying before you holiday,to ensure a copy.

Lets hope he doesn't lead us too astray in Symi......
FLO
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

map and 'walks on Symi'

Postby JeanW » 28 Aug 2011, 01:59

Flo, you have me concerned as i am going to Plakias at the end of Sept(4 weeks away) with my Lance Chiltern guide book.
JeanW
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

map and 'walks on Symi'

Postby Gemma1 » 28 Aug 2011, 09:35

I'm very good at getting lost when I'm out walking (even in this country) but haven't had too many problems in Symi as a lot of the walks also follow the big red 'blobs' painted on the rocks along the walk. If I think I've wandered off the path I just trace my way back to the last 'blob' and carry on from there.

The only time I seriously got lost on Symi was on the top of the hillside on the Agia Marina to Horio walk which was quite scary for a while as the hillside is very steep and I didn't see how I could possibly get down to the road :o . Luckily I managed to find the path eventually and have done the walk since without a problem - though the smelly dead sheep lying across the path last year wasn't very pleasant.

Jean, I'm also going to Plakias at the end of September (27th), where are you staying? Ive done 8 walks out of the Lance Chiltern Walks in Plakias book and the only one I got a bit lost on was the one from Sellia to Finikas Monastery and Souda Bay as I couldn't find the monastery. I did manage to find Souda Bay ok though ;) . f I'm walking on my own I always make sure I take my mobile phone with me and have a few local numbers in it.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

map and 'walks on Symi'

Postby snoopy2 » 28 Aug 2011, 09:48

;) Lotte i tend to agree with Flo. I would take up the offer to get in touch with Gemma 1 - so much more pleasurable and safer to be with another walker specially one who has done the walks before. :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

map and 'walks on Symi'

Postby FLO » 28 Aug 2011, 09:52

Hi Jean - don't worry,as Gemma says you normally have to retrace your steps and after a little panic and alot of searching - the way is found! Its all part of our holiday experience now, we have a giggle afterwards and the ouzo on the balcony has never tasted better and felt more earnt.
FLO
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

map and 'walks on Symi'

Postby lotte » 28 Aug 2011, 19:36

I have decided to by the book (Walks on Symi") online. But there are all sorts of different prices - and I have no idea what is the difference. Can anyone tell? Thank you.
lotte
lotte
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

map and 'walks on Symi'

Postby FLO » 28 Aug 2011, 19:48

Hi Lotte
The different prices are if you want it recordered delivery for more security and delivery to uk or further afield.

Standard delivery to europe is the top one on the europe section £10.20p
Hope that helps
Flo x
FLO
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

map and 'walks on Symi'

Postby snoopy2 » 28 Aug 2011, 20:23

:| Lotte - i got mine through Amazon - quick delivery and had different prices according to condition. ;)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to What to do