Rocky Chorio Show

Archived trip reports

Re: Rocky Chorio Show

Postby silverfox » 02 Jul 2019, 07:33

JohnH wrote:Interesting blog. Like you, we've stayed at Sevasti the last few times in Symi but are staying at Taxiarchis this year for the first time arriving, I suspect, on the day you leave. It's been good to see your thoughts and photos of it before we arrive.

Thanks John.

We miss Sevasti's but it's great down at Taxiarchis too and easier to get back to at night!

taxi.jpg
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Thomasdk » 02 Jul 2019, 09:35

Love your blog here. :) Especially all those wonderful photos. It's a bit like being there, when you're not able to otherwise.
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 02 Jul 2019, 18:12

Thomasdk wrote:Love your blog here. :) Especially all those wonderful photos. It's a bit like being there, when you're not able to otherwise.

I agree totally Thomasdk :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 02 Jul 2019, 19:30

Thanks for the kind words Thomas and Gemma.

I've hit the bloggers curse of the last few days drinking far too much and far too busy , haha, to write the blog up.

I've been far too lazy but I will try to update you all soon with nothing too exciting!

Avrio!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2019, 09:45

Currently sat in Anixis on Rhodes trying to catch up with the blog with a Mythos.

I'll post updates as soon as I can.

:D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby thomasina » 03 Jul 2019, 10:38

Safe journey home Steve and Liz, it was lovely meeting you,
we were in Taxiarchis 20, when we returned to Rhodes last Saturday, no transport for transfer to Anixis, after a couple of phone calls and a long wait 3 taxis arrived to transfer 8 people plus luggage to Anixis. (Same happened last year, no transport to meet the boat) Hope you enjoyed your stay in Taxiarchis, I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog, even though I am living the dream at the same time. Best wishes to you both, have a good Summer. Carol and Terry
thomasina
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2019, 11:35

Monday 1st July

Kalo Mina

Liz is awake very early as I try to snooze and get that extra little bit of sleep. We have both slept so well as we usually do when on Symi, the sea air always makes a difference to us as back in Sheffield we can’t get much further from the sea.

Liz captures the sunrise and I’m up and about for coffee around 7.30am.

cat.jpg
Kitten at Taxiarchis

The plan today is to just chill around the apartment and read, well for Liz that is. I ‘m off up through the square and onto to the road up to the castle.

view.jpg
View

Reaching the top of the old village and then I’m heading down the Kataraktas, or old steps as they are known. You need to watch your step on theses as they are quite uneven and much easier to walk down than up!

steps.jpg
The Old Steps

I’ve still got plenty of energy, despite the heat, so I buy another water at the bakery, and head up the road behind Yialos square up towards the cemetery. It is steep but well worth the effort when you reach the path to Nimborio with all the goats and chickens. The view just past the church is awesome yet again.

view 3.jpg

I have a slow walk back to Yialos and I’m soon overtaken by a lone jogger. He must be mad in this heat. I pick up a water from the kiosk and head up the road yet again. Although I’ve forgotten the Fitbit the health app on my phone is still counting and I will publish miles/steps walked on a final post.

I reach the final bench with the great view and give Liz a call to see if she has ventured out, and she’s just called at the new Patisserie up past Zoe’s to buy us cakes for lunch so I meet her by the supermarket and walk back to number 24. We have the very nice cakes after a small cheese and tomato sandwich.

cake.jpg
Cake

I try to sit in the sun for a while but it’s so hot I decide to go up the Rainbow for a couple of beers and keep Neil company, good job as he would have been billy no mates :)

I return for a quick shower and change before we wander back up to the Rainbow where we meet up with Gwen & Pete, Toby & Neil and Colette. We make the long trip down to Georgios for some great food. We share a shrimp pasty starter and Beef in Metaxo and Chicken in cream and mushrooms. All very, very nice.

Chicken.jpg
Nice Chicken Dish

Beef.jpg
Beef in Metaxa

We have a nightcap in the Rainbow so I’ve got a hat trick of visits today. Do I win a prize?

The count.jpg
Who is this man?

It’s been a great night in wonderful company with much laughter. Can’t get much better.

plant.jpg

A final night cap on the balcony under the stars.

Drink it all in! :)
Last edited by silverfox on 03 Jul 2019, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2019, 11:41

thomasina wrote:Safe journey home Steve and Liz, it was lovely meeting you,
we were in Taxiarchis 20, when we returned to Rhodes last Saturday, no transport for transfer to Anixis, after a couple of phone calls and a long wait 3 taxis arrived to transfer 8 people plus luggage to Anixis. (Same happened last year, no transport to meet the boat) Hope you enjoyed your stay in Taxiarchis, I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog, even though I am living the dream at the same time. Best wishes to you both, have a good Summer. Carol and Terry

Lovely to meet you too.

We are currently sat at the airport with a delay of probably 2 hours but i've managed to post Mondays blog up and working on Tuesdays.

Best wishes and our paths may cross again soon.
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 03 Jul 2019, 21:55

Tuesday 2nd July

It's the final countdown

Our last day and Liz is again up before me. She has perked up after her day of rest.

It’s Liz’s birthday so she opened the few cards she had brought out with her. It is also our 37th Wedding anniversary so we plan a nice lunch as we don’t want to have a late evening and feel rubbish on our journey back home.

church.jpg
On the way to the windmills looking back

After coffee, I am up and out up over the windmills once again a slow walk down the road to the harbour, litter picking as I go, taking in the view.

There is a nice breeze this morning. The bus, bringing Liz down, just passes me into Yialos. As we pass Jordana at To Spitiko we ask her to save our favourite table on the old side of the taverna for lunch later. A nice coffee break in soft seats before heading round for a sit in the sun on a bench in front of Elpedas. Liz of course looks in all the shops as we go.

wares.jpg
Selling their wares

We were entertained by two boats trying to sort out their anchors and the Panagia Skiadeni appeared to make a slower than usual berth as it had less room to swing around into the harbour. Finally free, both boats left, no doubt late for wherever they were heading.

tangle.jpg
Sorting out the anchors

We are soon sat in To Spitiko where we shared a wonderful Potato Salad, which had tiny cornichons, capers, spring onions and grated carrot, potato in a lovely dressing of lemon and olive oil. We both followed this with a superb sea bream all washed down with a litre of house white wine.

salad.jpg
Potato salad To Spitiko style

fish.jpg
Sea Bream

We said our farewells to Jordana and I headed up the road for the last time. Liz had a last trip up with Lakis in his yellow bus.

jor.jpg
Saying goodbye to Jordana

It was good to see the Symi street cleaner also cleaning up the road. I’ve done my bit to help picking up well over 100 pieces of mostly bottles and cans. I feel quite proud of this and its not really been a bind.

litter.jpg
Cleaning the road

I take one last pause to take in one of my favourite views and It's the moment I think that our holiday is nearly over.

view last.jpg
One last pause to take it all in!

I call at the apartment and have a quick change before our final session in the Rainbow Bar with Gwen & Pete, Colette, Toby & Neil all coming to say farewell, Neil presents me and Liz with a lucky bag each for our special day and I pose with the sun glasses from my gift!

fox.jpg
Caption Competition....

We left with hugs all round and no doubt we will see you all again soon. We also say our farewell to Yianni who will no doubt sell a little less beer now we are leaving.

Back at no 24 we have the last 15 minutes of the sun before packing and a few Metaxa nightcaps on the balcony before an early night in preparation for the long trip home tomorrow.

It sounds sad but we can only be grateful to have found this heaven on earth!

:) :) :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 04 Jul 2019, 09:29

A bonus post :D I wasn't sure if there would be another update after seeing the pictures of you leaving Symi on Facebook yesterday. Hope Liz had a lovely birthday, I can't think of a better place to spend it - though as my birthday is in November perhaps Goa is a better choice at that time of year ;)

"It sounds sad but we can only be grateful to have found this heaven on earth!" It doesn't sound sad at all, I think we all agree that Symi is wonderful :D. I made the decision to go to Crete in September instead of Symi but with the great blogs on here, Toby's daily updates and all the pictures on Facebook I'm wondering how I will survive! Thanks again for such a great blog and I'm already looking forward to D&E returning in September :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 04 Jul 2019, 18:12

Wednesday 3rd July

Farewell My Lovely

There is a national ferry strike today in Greece so none of the government funded ferries are operating but the people at Olympic have found a way of taking us off the Island using the Anes Sebeco.

seb.jpg
Anes Sebeco

It’s worked out well as we get an extra few hours in bed.

We are both up at 6am, and I manage to take a few photos of the magical sunrise across Pedi Bay.

sunrise.jpg
Sunrise across Pedi Bay

A quick shower and do our last minute packing before being picked up at the bottom of the lane. One other couple were waiting with us on their first visit and quizzing them about their stay they had enjoyed it so much they had already been searching deals and planning a return.

Nancy, the Olympic rep was waiting down by the harbour giving us our ticket for the trip across to Rhodes.

We have a few moments to see the harbour in the morning light and I take a few last photos. You can’t help getting a few good ones in a setting like this.

view.jpg
Last few minutes on Symi

We set sail on time, with Neil & Toby waving us off from their home balcony but I can never pick them out.

I video our departure as we leave Symi with a sad feeling but with hope and desire to be back soon.

Farewell magic little rock!

leave.jpg
Farewell Symi

The bus is waiting in Rhodes and we are whisked to the Anixis apartments where we partake of a Full English and a beer. Not brilliant but served a purpose.

I managed a little work (word used loosely) on catching up on the blog before heading to the Airport to find that the flight is delayed for 1 hour 50 minutes giving me even more time on the blog.

We are glad to get onboard from the busy airport but we are allocated different seats about 12 rows apart but after take off managed to get seats together and the Captain makes up a little time up and we land at Manchester at 6.20pm.

A long walk to passport control but by the time we got through it was only a few minutes before our cases appeared and we were off back across The Snake Pass to Sheffield.

Now updating after a day back at work!

Steps taken: 180,986

Not as much as I would have liked but not too bad seeing I needed a stick to walk only a couple of weeks before the holiday.

Would we stay at Taxiarchis again? Yes it’s in a great location if you struggle walking and want to stay up in the village.

We have so enjoyed, yet again, our time on the special little rock with wonderful friends that we have made in our many trips.

For anyone thinking of going you won’t regret it.

I’ll quote myself:

“You have to breath, feel and eat Symi” (eat © D&E) :D

Until we return!

cheers.jpg
To you Symi
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 04 Jul 2019, 18:22

Gemma1 wrote:A bonus post :D I wasn't sure if there would be another update after seeing the pictures of you leaving Symi on Facebook yesterday. Hope Liz had a lovely birthday, I can't think of a better place to spend it - though as my birthday is in November perhaps Goa is a better choice at that time of year ;)

"It sounds sad but we can only be grateful to have found this heaven on earth!" It doesn't sound sad at all, I think we all agree that Symi is wonderful :D. I made the decision to go to Crete in September instead of Symi but with the great blogs on here, Toby's daily updates and all the pictures on Facebook I'm wondering how I will survive! Thanks again for such a great blog and I'm already looking forward to D&E returning in September :)

Thank you so much Gemma Liz had a great day.

We are hoping for another "cheeky week" in September but with the prices at the moment we may have to rely on D&E for our fix, presuming they make it themselves. Have you got it booked D&E?

It would be great to get a few posts from others. You don't have to work on a long blog....a few posts will keep us going!

For anyone else due to go soon enjoy yourseves, it's hard not to!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby D and E » 04 Jul 2019, 19:05

A huge thank you for a brilliant two weeks of blogging and the most fantastic photos.
We were laughing out loud at the last post - “and eat” - copyright :D
We haven’t booked yet and are still monitoring.
This last week if we had booked last Sunday with Olympic to head over on Wednesday we could have had 14 days at Irini down in Yialos for circa £800 for us both :o so the waiting game looks like it pays off but have we the bottle to leave it that close :?:
Still looking at the independent option of flights and Booking.com / Airbnb.
Somehow we will get there.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 04 Jul 2019, 19:51

D and E wrote:A huge thank you for a brilliant two weeks of blogging and the most fantastic photos.
We were laughing out loud at the last post - “and eat” - copyright :D
We haven’t booked yet and are still monitoring.
This last week if we had booked last Sunday with Olympic to head over on Wednesday we could have had 14 days at Irini down in Yialos for circa £800 for us both :o so the waiting game looks like it pays off but have we the bottle to leave it that close :?:
Still looking at the independent option of flights and Booking.com / Airbnb.
Somehow we will get there.

Thanks D&E!

We are doing the same already.

After a day back at work your "eat ©" can't come soon enough!
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Yvettelee » 04 Jul 2019, 21:03

Loved reading your blogs and it was made extra special as found you are from Sheffield same as us. We go back in 8 weeks, our 10th visit on the trot. As you say its like going home. But I was very saddened to hear about the death of the father of the Comfies. We spend most of our time in there, as its our meeting place of friends we have made in Symi oh and when we get of the water taxi from the beach. Its our favourite and we are always made so welcome there. It will be so strange with him not sat there. Anyway thank you again for your blog and photos.
Yvettelee
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby silverfox » 04 Jul 2019, 21:22

Yvettelee wrote:Loved reading your blogs and it was made extra special as found you are from Sheffield same as us. We go back in 8 weeks, our 10th visit on the trot. As you say its like going home. But I was very saddened to hear about the death of the father of the Comfies. We spend most of our time in there, as its our meeting place of friends we have made in Symi oh and when we get of the water taxi from the beach. Its our favourite and we are always made so welcome there. It will be so strange with him not sat there. Anyway thank you again for your blog and photos.

Thanks Yvettelee.

Yes they were very quiet when they re-opened at the soft/comfy seats but they need to make most of the season too. We will carry on giving our custom when there.

We even met a lady on Symi, only last week, who lived on the same street I was born on in Sheffield. Small world indeed.

Enjoy your holiday and we hope you find time to post a few updates....we all love the Symi fix!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Yvettelee » 04 Jul 2019, 21:53

Crikey it is a small world. One of my friends found some keys in a road in Sheffield and it had a Symi keyring on it.
Yvettelee
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby rockbottom » 06 Jul 2019, 17:00

Have loved reading your blog silverfox! We are returning in September this year staying at irini again but have already booked for 2020 in September to stay at the Taxiarchis as we found a good deal with Olympic D and E.
Whose going to write the next blog?!
rockbottom
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby silverfox » 06 Jul 2019, 17:53

rockbottom wrote:Have loved reading your blog silverfox! We are returning in September this year staying at irini again but have already booked for 2020 in September to stay at the Taxiarchis as we found a good deal with Olympic D and E.
Whose going to write the next blog?!

Thanks rockbottom

Next blog? Would love more to blog or even a few posts.

Gives us all that Symi fix.

:D
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 07 Jul 2019, 15:13

Yes Silverfox, you're right we need a fix, 7 weeks is a long time to wait :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

PreviousNext