Food

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Food

Postby Lisa B » 12 Jan 2018, 23:55

Hi everyone,
I know it's each to their own but does anyone have any favourite/must go to, places to eat on Symi?
That should give everyone something to chat about during this quiet period and me some ideas! :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: Food

Postby Gemma1 » 13 Jan 2018, 10:24

Georgio's (George and Maria's) is one of my favourites. It's a traditional tavern in Chorio and they have live music occasionally. I've had some nice meals at Zoe's too - her beef stifado is usually very good. Zoe's is also in Chorio.

In the harbour To Spitiko is very good and you always get a warm welcome from Jordana. One of my favourites that I've been going to since my first visit to Symi is The Dolphin Italian restaurant in the harbour, just over the bridge. It's a great place to people watch and somewhere I'm very happy to go on my own.

Just thinking about all that delicious food is making my mouth water :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 13 Jan 2018, 15:56

Thanks Gemma, big ticks on my list so thanks for the recommendation :D
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby katy » 13 Jan 2018, 18:40

Zoe's and Georgio's are unmissable in Chorio, but I also like O Merakles and I think it's Thallasa in Yialos. Can also support Gemma's To Spitiko, excellent food, atmosphere and service. Trawler also is very good..........actually, never had a bad meal anywhere on Symi yet!
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 13 Jan 2018, 18:42

Looks like I've got a problem?? How am I going to fit all these amazing places in a 10 night stay!? :?
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Allan » 13 Jan 2018, 19:07

Lisa B wrote:Looks like I've got a problem?? How am I going to fit all these amazing places in a 10 night stay!? :?

Simple! Just save the ones you don't have time to try for your next visit to Symi.
Or the one after that... ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lisa B » 13 Jan 2018, 19:11

I was afraid you'd say that ;) ;)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 15 Jan 2018, 08:36

Hi LisaB,
Whilst the wind and rain batters the bedroom window this morning, turning our thoughts to dining on Symi on a balmy evening is the perfect distraction.
When staying up Giorgio’s is always our first night place of choice. Although the days of the “memory test”, when you were taken round the kitchen and shown all the food available was murdered a couple of years ago by the rules & regulation brigade, this very traditional taverna is a must visit. A 5 minute stroll beyond is Zoë’s and Gemma is spot on about the beef stiffado. The fish soup when occasionally added to the menu is another standout dish.
We have to agree with the shout for Trawler in Yialos where the stuffed mushrooms are memorable.
But when down our first night would always be Tholos the restaurant furthest round past Hirani Boatyard which is an amazing setting and is famed for its lemon potatoes. Add these to their grilled prawns and a very cold white wine or retsina whilst taking in the views of Symi and you are in paradise.
Just before you reach Tholos you pass Odysia where the amberjack is one of the nicest fish dishes we have had.
But we agree with the sentiments already expressed about dining on Symi. During all our numerous visits we have never had a bad meal. We could count on one hand the number of OK dishes but this is so outnumbered by truly outstanding ones at such reasonable prices they are quickly forgotten about.
If you want to read more, and in the more recent posts see a lot of food pics from Symi, try the archived Trip Reports.
Bon appetite.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 15 Jan 2018, 12:34

Dont forget the walk to Nimborio and lunch @ Marias taverna. As all replies there are so many fantastic places to sit down and enjoy wonderful food. Our must go places are in no specific order....Zoe's, Giorgio's, Tholos, Odysia, Maria's, St Nick's Taverna, Dafnes @ Toli beach, Mythos. This year we will try some others. Have a look through the trip report archives especially the ones posted by D and E.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 15 Jan 2018, 20:28

Hey hey D&E,
Thanks for your input and you too Pollychops.
I will certainly look at previous posts, just wanted a bit of Symi interaction. Missing my daily fix, loved reading posts through the summer and Sept seems soooo far away ;)
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 16 Jan 2018, 15:40

Whilst we were focussing on evenings Pollychops has quite rightly introduced beach tavernas.
There isn’t a bad one.
And each has its attraction.
St.Nicks - run by a wonderful family and when the fresh sardines are on - wow.
Agia Marina - classy and a pasta dish with a chilled glass of red is always a firm favourite.
Nanou - bit chaotic last year on the service front but the food was tops.
Marathounda - the entertaining goats and an excellent menu.
Toli - grilled calamaris and a Daphne salad from that stunning location.
Nos (Paradise Beach) - best meatballs and the grilled vegetables with skodalia - mmmmm
Nimborio - fish souvlaki and heavenly mousaka served by the charming Panaiota

And of course whilst not a beach taverna the bbq lunch that comes with the Poseidon’s Round The Island Trip is an absolute must.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 17 Jan 2018, 19:22

LisaB. there are very good reviews and info on places to eat on Symi. Just copy the link below:-

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... egean.html
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Lisa B » 17 Jan 2018, 21:23

Kojak, thanks for that, I was just wanting to keep a chat on here during the quiet months. What a list I've got now!!
Lisa B
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 18 Jan 2018, 18:48

Some years ago I did a guide about Symi Bars and Tavernas which I posted on Trip Advisor. This was added to by other Symi lovers. I can't find it now but I think it forms part of the info on the link.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby katy » 18 Jan 2018, 19:13

Sadly a few of those have long disappeared I bet? The Donkey Bar on the bend of the Kali Strata
used to play such good music I recall, as you contemplated the wonderful view.
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Andy W » 19 Jan 2018, 08:03

Are you thinking of the Kali Strata Bar, at the right angle bend near to the top and just above the school? The Donkey Bar was halfway up the Kali Strata, a very welcome rehydration stop on a hot day, but didn't have a view other than of the street. You can still see where its sign used to hang.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 19 Jan 2018, 08:51

Kojak wrote:Some years ago I did a guide about Symi Bars and Tavernas which I posted on Trip Advisor. This was added to by other Symi lovers. I can't find it now but I think it forms part of the info on the link.

I think I might still have your guide kojak. The one I'm referring to is a document from 2008 but sadly not all the places mentioned are stll open. I've attached it here if it is the one you did.
Attachments
Symi Tavernas and Bars.doc
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times
Last edited by Gemma1 on 20 Jan 2018, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby katy » 19 Jan 2018, 15:49

Andy W wrote:Are you thinking of the Kali Strata Bar, at the right angle bend near to the top and just above the school? The Donkey Bar was halfway up the Kali Strata, a very welcome rehydration stop on a hot day, but didn't have a view other than of the street. You can still see where its sign used to hang.

Ah you could be right Andy, I think we just always called it the Donkey Bar :) It certainly was the one with the view!
katy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 19 Jan 2018, 17:06

Thanks Gemma1. It is the one I did - I know RPBristol did some additions and amendments to it. It's bound to be a out of date now but it worked ok. The idea was that anyone going any time of the year could add to it.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby ElJay » 22 Jan 2018, 17:56

Got to be To Spitiko and the lovely Jordana. Fab fish,always a smile and a welcome.

Having said that, we have always found all the food on Symi to be very good. Some better than others but always delicious and served with a smile.

Olive Tree in Chorio is good, all home cooked by Janine and especially good for the veggie community. Great view from the terrace.

Can't wait to get back in May.
ElJay
Starting Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat