15th of August

Ask questions about the island of Symi

15th of August

Postby KN9700 » 10 Aug 2017, 07:55

My wife and I are going to Symi very soon - on Sunday :D .
I think it´s the first time that we are on Symi in August, and I´ve read in a book that on the 15th of August the Symiots celebrate Jesus mother Maria´s travel to Heaven and the name day of all Marias.
As we are very interested in Greek culture and cultural events I would like to know if something interesting is happening on Symi in church or elsewhere?

Karl-Johan
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Re: 15th of August

Postby Kojak » 10 Aug 2017, 11:04

There is a big Fiesta (Panagiri) for the Assumption of the Virgin Mary on the evening of 15th August. The day begins with a mass - usually about 8am and lasts a few hours! When I used to go in August it was always held in the monastery halfway down the Pedi road. It is a wonderful night - Greek families out with their children and lots of Greek music and dancing, usually a barbecue with food. If you do go, please go into the church and light a candle out of respect. Anyone will tell you where it is held.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby KN9700 » 10 Aug 2017, 19:56

Thank you for a answering my question, Kojak.
Nice to have people who know and like Symi and its people as much as we do.
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Kojak » 11 Aug 2017, 19:07

You're welcome, KN. It's a long time since I was there for the Panagiri - being of a certain age I couldn't cope with the August heat now. It is a lovely evening to see the Symi residents enjoying themselves - no Greek dancing laid on for tourists - it's all spontaneous and genuine.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Robert » 11 Aug 2017, 20:06

Just a word of warning, we are often in either Symi or Lindos on this day and the Feast of the Assumption is a major holiday in Greece and ferries will be very busy - much more than usual. have a great trip - we are coming the following week.
R
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby KN9700 » 16 Aug 2017, 16:36

14th and 15th og August

My wife and I are on Symi now, so now we know more about what's happening these days.

In my opinion the 14 th of August is the most interesting day if you are interested in Greek culture. Staying at Taxiarchis we heard voices from the Church at the Pedi road and I thought that a rehearsal/try was taking place. I walked down to the church and to my surprise a service was going on. I attended a short part of the service, but had thought that something more would tanke place in the church the next day.
Eating at Zoe's restaurant on the same evening we saw fireworks and could see people around the church near Castro. Later we heard fireworks from the church at the Pedi road.
So I think most people will find the 14 th of August the most interesting day.

We went to the party on the 15 th in the church on the Pedi road. The party started at 9 pm but I think that the only relegious abut was that it took place in a church yard.
Karl-Johan
KN9700
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Return to Noticeboard