Olympic Holidays 2018

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

Olympic Holidays 2018

Postby Gemma1 » 20 May 2017, 09:44

Just noticed that Olympic are booking for summer 2018 - has anybody booked yet - kojak ;) I was looking at 10 nights in September though it's actually cheaper to go for 2 weeks than 10 nights.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Re: Olympic Holidays 2018

Postby mr wotsin » 21 May 2017, 10:39

Just working out when recycling day is to see if it fits in for 2018.
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 22 May 2017, 07:23

mr wotsin wrote:Just working out when recycling day is to see if it fits in for 2018.

Lol, I think he's too busy enjoying himself in the sunshine at the moment ;)

I could do 2 weeks in Symi if I only go to Greece for a week next June but was hoping to go island hopping for 2 weeks in June. If I go to Symi for 2 weeks I could go to a neighbouring island for a couple of nights - maybe Nisyros. Decisions, decisions, so many islands and not enough time - or money ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby STEVE » 22 May 2017, 12:27

Gemma1 wrote: - maybe Nisyros. Decisions, decisions, so many islands and not enough time - or money ;)

Nisyros is a very good bet. Plenty to see and visit. The volcano, particularly, is great for clearing your head and the Paleokastro built around 4BC is awe inspiring. For accommodation, the Hotel Porfyris in Mandhraki takes some beating and has its own swimming pool. Rough Guide says it's '....somewhat old fashioned' but we think that's rather harsh. Book direct with Maria, the owner, to get the best price. We'll be there mid June - our third visit.

Steve
STEVE
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby mr wotsin » 22 May 2017, 20:50

Does Elpedias get the sun all day?
mr wotsin
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 23 May 2017, 07:35

mr wotsin wrote:Does Elpedias get the sun all day?

Lol. I hear he ventured up to the village recently so must have got some sun en route ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 23 May 2017, 07:41

STEVE wrote:
Gemma1 wrote: - maybe Nisyros. Decisions, decisions, so many islands and not enough time - or money ;)

Nisyros is a very good bet. Plenty to see and visit. The volcano, particularly, is great for clearing your head and the Paleokastro built around 4BC is awe inspiring. For accommodation, the Hotel Porfyris in Mandhraki takes some beating and has its own swimming pool. Rough Guide says it's '....somewhat old fashioned' but we think that's rather harsh. Book direct with Maria, the owner, to get the best price. We'll be there mid June - our third visit.

Steve

I was thinking of Nisyros because it seems fairly easy to get to from Symi on the Blue Star ferry, or via Kos. I last stayed there in 2001 (at the Romantzo) and really liked the island so would love to revisit if I have the opportunity. There was something magical about the island :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kojak » 25 May 2017, 09:37

On the plane back to the UK I was already thinking of booking for next May!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 25 May 2017, 10:13

Just booked for May and September 2018. Prices have gone up! :o
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 26 May 2017, 07:42

Kojak wrote:Just booked for May and September 2018. Prices have gone up! :o

Yes I thought the same. A week in September is working out at over £500 and could mean only 5 nights on Symi. I still think it works out cheaper than travelling independently when you're travelling solo though. Hope you got your Olympic regular traveller discount ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Eliza » 26 May 2017, 11:10

Independently is sometimes more expensive. We take cabin bags catch the bus into Rhodes a leisurely walk to Blue Star with lunch on the way and of course hotel in Rhodes if needed. We started this after the dreadful gaffer tape flight when a lady in front of us picked her handbag up off the floor and the whole seat lifted. Scary stuff I now like to have control over who I fly with.
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 26 May 2017, 14:36

Just telephoned Olympic holidays. After pressing 1,2, etc. to get the correct service for several minutes I found that Olympic DON'T do loyalty points anymore!
Last edited by Kojak on 27 May 2017, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 27 May 2017, 09:18

Kojak wrote:Just been on to Olympic holidays. After pressing 1,2, etc. for several minutes I found that Olympic DON'T do loyalty points anymore!

That's disappointing - especially when you travel with them twice a year. At least you've saved me having to ring them if and when I book for next year. I can't book yet as need to decide what I'm doing in June first but will be keeping my eye on the prices.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby keith p » 22 Aug 2017, 15:22

We have booked for next June, 2 couples, usually have just a week but enjoyed it so much this year we have decided to go for a fortnight at the Sevasti.

I know you can save money waiting for the discounts but it is a nice feeling to have it booked and gives something to look forward to during the winter.

We have paid extra to change our flights to the 6.15 Monarch from Manchester which should mean we can catch the 15.00 ferry, has that worked out for people this year?
keith p
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby silverfox » 22 Aug 2017, 22:22

We went on this flight this year and it was fine.

We had a taxi with another couple to the ferry from the airport organised by Olympic reaching Symi earlier than we were the 2 years before.

We did have problems on the way back after getting dropped of at the Kasandra and told to wait for a coach and non arrived and then got told we missed the taxi that came for us despite standing at the door.

It cost us 19 Euro for a taxi that Olympic have refused to refund....shame on them.

Despite this we have booked again and will be on the same plane on the 20th of June next year staying at Sevasti for the 4th time in a row! :)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 23 Aug 2017, 07:39

Very disappointing that Olympic refused to refund your taxi fair Silverfox :( I wonder what they would have done if you'd stayed there waiting for the non existent coach and missed your flight...

I've booked 12 nights at the Anastasia flying from LBA for next September which really suits me. Flying with Jet2 so plenty of luggage allowance too ;) I'm very happy that Olympic are no longer asking you to pay up in full for the flight portion at the time of booking if you fly with a different airline - which is what they have done for the past few years :) It's an afternoon flight out so will definitely include a night on Rhodes but I should be able to get the afternoon boat back on the return so hopefully will have 11 nights on Symi. I had an email from Olympic yesterday with a £50 discount code for Summer 2018, I emailed them back to say I've already booked both my holidays with them for next year and could I have the discount in retrospect - I won't hold my breath ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby keith p » 23 Aug 2017, 09:00

silverfox wrote:We went on this flight this year and it was fine.

We had a taxi with another couple to the ferry from the airport organised by Olympic reaching Symi earlier than we were the 2 years before.

We did have problems on the way back after getting dropped of at the Kasandra and told to wait for a coach and non arrived and then got told we missed the taxi that came for us despite standing at the door.

It cost us 19 Euro for a taxi that Olympic have refused to refund....shame on them.

Despite this we have booked again and will be on the same plane on the 20th of June next year staying at Sevasti for the 4th time in a row! :)

After reading your stories it will be nice to meet you, we are at the Sevasti, same as you 4th time in a row, from the 13th for 2 weeks.
keith p
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby D and E » 23 Aug 2017, 13:03

Yes Gemma1, we had that email with the SUMMER18 discount code for £50pp which prompted us to have a look at next September. May is once again in doubt (this has to stop !!!) as we have a family wedding in Italy and the dates look a bit too close.

Kojak is right about the prices :shock: and at the price quoted for Anastasia's we may well return to the independent route - we acknowledge that doesn't always work out for solo travellers as we benefit from paying one price for the room per night for the two of us. Anyway somehow or another we will be on Symi in 2018 - maybe aim for three weeks from Mid Sept.

E noticed that AirB&B are listing numerous Symi properties by the way.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Colette » 23 Aug 2017, 22:26

I've been on the 06.15 Monarch flight from Manchester 3 times now and will be on it again 3 weeks today (yippee). Always been in time for the afternoon Blue Star so it's fingers crossed :)
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 24 Aug 2017, 07:13

D and E wrote:Yes Gemma1, we had that email with the SUMMER18 discount code for £50pp which prompted us to have a look at next September. May is once again in doubt (this has to stop !!!) as we have a family wedding in Italy and the dates look a bit too close.

Kojak is right about the prices :shock: and at the price quoted for Anastasia's we may well return to the independent route - we acknowledge that doesn't always work out for solo travellers as we benefit from paying one price for the room per night for the two of us. Anyway somehow or another we will be on Symi in 2018 - maybe aim for three weeks from Mid Sept.

E noticed that AirB&B are listing numerous Symi properties by the way.

I did consider travelling independently but the price of the Jet2 flight from LBA on its own was £314. I'm sure I could get a cheaper flight than that but the convenience of flying from my local airport (the mini bus to Manchester was £64 last year) and the flexible duration is quite important whilst I'm still working. I'm paying £647 for my 12 nights on Symi which leaves £333 for accommodation and transfers which is still good value for money in my book, though if there are 2 of you it will be different. I've never looked at AirB&B though I am hearing more and more about them so must have a look ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Symi Chat