September visit

Chat about anything to do with the island of Symi

September visit

Postby Pollychops » 17 May 2017, 16:49

On our previous visits we normally go in June however, we have been last time in July. This year we have decided to try at the end of the summer. We are booked from the 30th August for 10 nights. Just a couple of questions, will it be busy or busier than in June? Hotter or more humid? And we are aware the water will be warmer so looking forward to that. Covered all concerns over traveling to and from Rhodes to maximize our time spent on Symi, by our reckoning we will only be on Rhodes for 4 hours barring any transport hold ups. We never feel there's a bad time to visit but hope that the dates we have booked will be just as enjoyable if not better.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Re: September visit

Postby D and E » 17 May 2017, 21:05

Hi Pollychops,

We are regular May and September (sometimes even into October) visitors but as we have never been in July we cannot compare but we always find the weather to be perfect in September with temperatures between 25 and 30C and not all that humid. There is usually still a buzz in both Chorio and Yialos with many regular visitors that we see year after year - but there is always a seat in our fav bars. All the restaurants, shops and taxi boats only start to wind down later in October. As you say the sea is warmer and swimming at our fav beach - St.Nicks - is one of the great pleasures that we are looking forward to already.

Have a great time but you know you will.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 18 May 2017, 08:09

Hi Pollychops,

I think D&E have covered your questions well and I agree. These days I tend to go early June and early September, I don't notice much difference in terms of busyness between the two. I think the real busy period is during July and, in particular, August. There are plenty of people around at the start of September and there isn't the 'winding down' feel that you get into October but it's by no means busy.

The fierce heat and humidity of high summer has gone by early September but it's still nice and warm, perfect for me. :)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pollychops » 19 May 2017, 12:26

Hi D&E and Allan,

Thanks for your replies. Perfect for weather and not too busy which are the answers we were hoping for. D & E it must be near your May visit so look forward to your fantastic reports. To be able to visit twice in the year is something we would love to do but too busy with other commitments like work etc....... maybe when we get to go onto short time or early retirement. In the meantime we will have to make the most of our time when we are there.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 20 May 2017, 10:08

Hi Pollychops,

We have always been lucky enough to have flexibility in terms of our holidays to allow our twice a year visits and recently we have both taken semi-retirement but this year has seen us visit Florida for three weeks in March to visit D's sister and brother-in-law who stay there half the year. This was our second visit to Florida and this time we went on a road trip to Nashville and Memphis with stops in between - fantastic but so different to the peace and tranquility of our beloved Symi. So this has meant us reluctantly foregoing our May visit to Symi as even with semi-retirement there is an expectation to turn up to work some of the time :D

We are booked with Olympic for our September visit. Normally we use Olympic in May, staying in Chorio and go independent in September / October staying in Yialos. But with the USA trip and village life in Chorio being so wonderful we will be "up" in September and of course D will spend his early mornings, after the bread run ;) , doing our blog.

Sitting at home yesterday and doing our daily view of the webcam we were tempted to take a quick look at the Olympic site and if we were going next Saturday there were some great prices. We have a free week in early July so if there were similar last minute prices then we might just head over for a week. It would be the first time for us in July :o (E is a bit apprehensive about high temperatures and getting our favourite seats in Yiannis :D )
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby silverfox » 20 May 2017, 14:01

Hi D and E

So going to miss your "before we go" blog!

:)
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 21 May 2017, 08:48

I'm another one who will miss your blog D&E as I'm foregoing my September Symi trip this year and having a week in Western Crete instead so no Symi for me this year :( . Looks like I'll have to wait until September to hear all about Symi's culinary delights - though I've got a week in Ithaca coming up shortly and am looking forward to trying out some of Ithaca's tavernas - hopefully the food on Ithaca will be just as good as the food on Symi :D
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby silverfox » 22 May 2017, 20:04

We will do our best in June/July to blog for you with all the food and lazy days.

Although another "big" walk must be on the list of things to do!

One off the list is our Anniversary meal at the Windmills. :(
silverfox
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 23 May 2017, 07:44

silverfox wrote:We will do our best in June/July to blog for you with all the food and lazy days.

Although another "big" walk must be on the list of things to do!

One off the list is our Anniversary meal at the Windmills. :(

I'll look forward to reading your blog - and hearing about your 'big walk' ;) Yes it's very sad that the Windmill closed, the food really was excellent.
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Symi Chat