Toilet seats, where do they all go?

Chat about anything else

Toilet seats, where do they all go?

Postby Thomasdk » 26 Sep 2016, 15:01

This is not really Symi related, since I can't remember having come across this problem that often on the island. But especially on Rhodes, at restaurants, at the airport, what's with the removal of the toilet seats, does anyone know for sure? Is it simply to prevent people from sitting down and doing number 2 or is there another explanation to this strange phenomenon? :D
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Re: Toilet seats, where do they all go?

Postby Eliza » 27 Sep 2016, 20:36

They had a refurb at Rhodes airport and for a short time all was well. Then the swaying started "you understand what I mean" the seats fall off and nobody seems to know how to fix them.
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Thomasdk » 28 Sep 2016, 11:40

I remember the Diagoras airport having nice toilets, in the area before entering the security check. I think it was what surprised me this time and made me wonder what it is all about.
Thomasdk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 05 Nov 2016, 14:35

I think Eliza got it right about "swaying" toilet seats I've found that Greek toilet seats are often precarious. In the early days of my Symi holidays and my first mortgage I stayed in a very reasonable pension in Chorio. The Gents toilet and shower had the toilet squeezed into a very narrow "niche" which meant you had to reverse in, sometimes with disastrous results. :? I became quite proficient at repairing it, even bringing a small adjustable spanner in my luggage! While we are on the subject, I visited the Iapetos shortly after it opened. The toilets were underground but very nice. The cubicle was big enough to have a small dance in and the lighting was switched on by a motion sensor. Suddenly I was benighted! It was my first visit so I hadn't registered where things were and resorted to waving my hands about. Sadly, the motion sensor was just out of reach! :o I was reluctantly thinking about shouting for help when some kind soul came downstairs, activating the motion sensor, I never met my saviour but will be eternally grateful to him/her! :mrgreen:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Eliza » 07 Nov 2016, 20:16

When I first went to Greece I took two loo rolls in the case.Now it's soft tissues,a travel sink plug,adjustable spanner and rubber gloves. As for those sensor lights I thought the Trawler were playing games I was furiously waving every five seconds, as usual the place was packed but nobody had said a word to them.
For me this is the joy of Greece not forgetting the house on the waters edge along Nimborio road made from olive oil cans, it has now been rebuilt or rendered over.
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Joe Le Taxi » 30 Nov 2016, 10:24

I had a good laugh at this topic. Is this the equivalent of a media slow news day or maybe end of season blues. :D
Joe Le Taxi
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 02 Dec 2016, 12:45

Going slightly off topic. The first two years on Symi we stayed in Pedi. The shower in the apartment took ages to drain. A bent coat hanger only freed some of the gunge. The following year I brought a small adjustable spanner so I could free the nut holding the drain thingy in place. The crafty Greeks had changed it to a screw and, silly me, I hadn't brought a Swiss Army knife... Greeks 2, Kojak Nil...
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Colette » 07 Dec 2016, 17:13

Norman, and you still haven't got a Swiss army knife but a customs man at Rhodes airport has....Greeks 3, Kojak Nil...
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 10 Dec 2016, 11:51

I'd forgotten about that. Still embarrassed!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 17 Dec 2016, 10:02

Hope they didn't think you were some kind of terrorist :shock: lol
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kojak » 18 Dec 2016, 17:38

I still blush at the thought. It was in a deep pocket in my rucksack which I missed when checking it before packing to go home.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Adriana » 16 Feb 2017, 08:45

Loo seats, cistern flushes, shower hoses and roses - the rate at which we have to replace them during the season is extraordinary. Part of the problem is that the quality of the parts is so poor, in the case of shower fittings often chrome-coloured plastic. The main problem with loo seats is that it is seldom possible to get a seat that actually fits the lavatory bowl so there is invariably an unsupported area which makes it crack. The spare part you need and the spare part they have at Antoniades are seldom the same thing! We have been known to change the whole cistern because we can't get parts to repair the flush mechanism!

Home owners who decide to upgrade and invest in posh fittings often find themselves in a worse situation if something fails as the swanky bathroom shops in Rhodes can't afford to carry stock anymore so you have to wait for your spare parts to arrive from Athens or Italy which can take weeks.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Off Topic