Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Archived posts about places to eat and drink on Symi

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Buzzy » 29 Sep 2009, 13:06

I have contacted the hotel via e mail( but they usually take a while to reply) regarding their restaurant. They tell me that during the dates I am staying 21-31 October the restaurant will be closed. I notice however that Olympic holidays are still taking bookings including half board for those dates. I was considering upgrading to half board on arrival if it seemed more economical to do so rather that eat out in seperate restarants each night. Is there any chance anyone on Symi can find out for me what is actually happening with the restarant or half board customers during those dates. I'm unsure what the true situation is as how can Olympic still be offering half board if it's not available?
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Kon » 29 Sep 2009, 13:34

In 06 we stayed at the Nireus and we did have meals at night in their restaurant.Great food too ,now we were there in August so i don't know if it changes for later months of the year.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Buzzy » 29 Sep 2009, 14:05

I am probably just being over cautious but I know how easy it is to spend quite a lot of money on just eating out. It's not hard to end up spending �60.00 a night for 2 with wine and over the course of 10 days that amounts to �600 on meals. That is why sometimes a half board package can seem more of a bargain. Oh well I suppose I can always jump in the sea and catch my own fish if money gets low.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby JohnS » 29 Sep 2009, 16:41

I am off to Symi tomorrow and am staying at the Nireus (bed and breakfast) for seven nights. I will try to find out for you regarding your enquiry and, on my return or sooner if possible, will let you know. As mentioned by several others, there will be plenty of other tavernas open so you certainly won't starve!
JohnS
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Buzzy » 29 Sep 2009, 16:50

Thanks. Are you going with Olympic holidays? If so let me know how you get on with the transfer to Symi. Apparently they have had some organisational problems with it but I'm sure as they've had all year they must have it right by now.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby snoopy2 » 29 Sep 2009, 17:08

Buzzy wrote:
I am probably just being over cautious but I know how easy it is to spend quite a lot of money on just eating out. It's not hard to end up spending �60.00 a night for 2 with wine and over the course of 10 days that amounts to �600 on meals. That is why sometimes a half board package can seem more of a bargain. Oh well I suppose I can always jump in the sea and catch my own fish if money gets low.

I suppose some people might easily spend �60 but that is the sum i spent on taking myself and three others for a special meal and i wasn't being a cheapskate!! Although it is a pound sterling to the euro i think you will be pleasantly suprised on how much you pay when eating out. My daughter and myself came back with euros !!!! Ya vay its a miracle!!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Andy W » 29 Sep 2009, 18:11

I'll be on Symi over the same period you are, Buzzy, (although I'm travelling independently and will be on an earlier ferry than you) and I was there the same time last year. The Nireus restaurant didn't seem to be open then, but I wasn't staying there so had no reason to go inside the hotel. Don't worry, there still will be a dozen or more different tavernas/restaurants/pizzerias etc open for you to choose from in Yialos alone, plus those in Chorio and Pedi, and only a very few are expensive. Some places will have closed for the season before you get there, a couple may close while you are there, but there will still be a fair choice right up to the start of the Panormitis Festival in early November. After that only the all-year-round places will operate until Easter, some open all week, others only at weekends.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Sunshine » 29 Sep 2009, 20:36

...The thing I like about eating out on Symi is the choice of eateries and the different way something like say, stifado is prepared in each one. Places like Dimitri's (Mr Tasty, situated to the left of the ferry when you arrive) is very reasonably priced, as are the Trata and Meraklis in the harbour. The only really expensive places I think are Manos fish restaurant (fish is always pricey) and Mylopetra (if it's still there). The Dolphin Pizzeria is good as is Yiannis in the back of the square although he may still be closed. Try Syllogos or Georgios in Chorio or even Georges' little gyros bar further up the street on the left, always good value. Spread yourself about and enjoy !
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Adriana » 30 Sep 2009, 09:01

Tholos may well be closed by then as they are in quite an exposed location and get nailed by the wind but if the Odyssey is still open I have heard that that is an affordable option for light meals in the Harani area, especially with Mike (ex Sunflower and Daphne's) doing the cooking

Mylopetra usually shuts early October. The Dolphin pizzeria is usually still open full time in October. Another place that is fun to go to when the weather is chilly is Haritomenos on the hill - they have a log fire in the dining room so if it is too cold to sit on the terrace (althought part of this is glassed in) there is always a cosy inside option.

as the Nireus restaurant is a 100 seater they are unlikely to keep it open once there is only a handful of guests in the hotel as the overheads would be prohibitive and they wouldn't have the stock turnover to justify offering a full menu. The smaller places frequented by the locals stay open longer as they are often small family run businesses and what isn't sold is eaten!

In places with traditional Greek menus it is customary to share dishes mezze style and as things like meatballs, tzatziki, Greek salad etc are usually only around 5 euros a plate it is quite easy to put together a very filling meal for 15-20 euros ahead including a carafe of house wine and a big bottle of water.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby snoopy2 » 30 Sep 2009, 09:07

Re fish prices at Manos - yes expensive but if Buzzy you are self catering then get down the harbour reasonably early and keep your eyes peeled as there are often fishermen selling their catch from boxes along the harbour front usually near the yachts. Bought lovley fresh fish (had no idea what they were) and gutted and threw on the BBQ - lovely - just a pile of bones left. The three cats whos house we were obvioulsy in enjoyed the heads and skin so virtually all recycled!!
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Buzzy » 30 Sep 2009, 11:08

Thanks for all your replies. I now have a better understanding of why the Nireus would not remain open being such a large restaurant. I wonder what will happen to anyone if they book half board through Olympic holidays though as you are still given the option on their website of a half board upgrade for Nireus in the last week of October.

I will have to eek out the money for the next couple of weeks and maybe take a bit extra for eating out. As we are at the Nireus we have not got any facilities for self catering at all which means we are dependent on the restaurants.

Thanks for all the help I look forward to trying some of your suggestions.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby snoopy2 » 30 Sep 2009, 11:16

You will be fine. My daughter and myself took money thinking we would also have to use our plastic. We ended up eating out for breakfast - Olive Tree up in Chorio - worth the walk up the Kalistrata, eating at whatever beach taverna we were at and eating out in the evening AND took euros home. My son - who is the world's greatest spendthrift even managed to have 10 euros at the airport!!!!! Honeslty you will be fine - you will eat well for little.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Adriana » 30 Sep 2009, 12:41

Hi Buzzy, I have just looked at the Olympic Holidays website and the Nireus Hotel only offers bed and breakfast. I have double checked this with the rep on the island and he says the only option with half board is the Pedi Beach Hotel. If you are staying at the Nireus Hotel then it is bed and breakfast only. I have heard, however that the breakfast buffet at the Nireus is pretty good :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Buzzy » 30 Sep 2009, 13:12

Yes Nireus does come up with bed and breakfast initially if you are booking but there is a link to the right of bed and breakfast labelled upgrade. If you click that you are then given the option of adding half board to your booking during the booking process online.(Costed at �101.50 per person) I intially turned that down and then after completing my booking reconsidered which led to me asking the questions on here. I was considering the posibility on arrival of paying the hotel direct for half board.

If you search a holiday on Symi with Olympic say for 21 Oct for 7 nights at Nireus,click select then look at top right hand of result in the little box. next to bed and breakfast click upgrade and you are taken through to complete the booking with half board included. I was just concerned that if anyone has done this it may create problems if they arrive on Symi and find out there is no half board at Nireus as they will have already paid for it in their package when they booked. As me me I'm delighted to have a bone fide excuse to try all the other restaurants.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Adriana » 30 Sep 2009, 13:59

Actually one of the reasons why hotels on Symi don't really bother much with restaurants is because there is such a wide range of interesting and affordable places to eat virtually on the doorstep.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby JohnS » 02 Oct 2009, 09:47

Having spoken to the hotel staff the position regarding the resturant is that it shut for evening meals from the 30th September. During the summer period only two couples, apparently, booked for half board with Olympic. The second couple, unfortunately for them, arrived on the 30th, as did we!! All the Nireus was able to do was to make an arrangement with a local restaurant to feed the guests.
I hope this answers your question. Have a great hoidy, I'm sure you will; it is Symi after all!
JohnS
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Buzzy » 02 Oct 2009, 10:27

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to clarify this. There should obviously be more communication between Olympic holidays and the hotels they book for clients as at this stage Olympic should really have withdrawn the halfboard upgrade from their website. I hoped that for those who had booked half board there would be an arrangement made by the Nireus and I'm glad to see that there was.

I hope you have a great stay. I am counting the days now and hoping that the good weather stays for us.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Kon » 06 Oct 2009, 11:55

Adriana wrote:
Hi Buzzy, I have just looked at the Olympic Holidays website and the Nireus Hotel only offers bed and breakfast. I have double checked this with the rep on the island and he says the only option with half board is the Pedi Beach Hotel. If you are staying at the Nireus Hotel then it is bed and breakfast only. I have heard, however that the breakfast buffet at the Nireus is pretty good

Yep it was nice ,i think they call it American buffett beakfast.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Buzzy » 06 Oct 2009, 12:05

Thanks Kon. What was included in the buffet and what were the breafast times? Can't wait to get to Symi the rain is constant here at the moment.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Nireus Hotel Restaruant

Postby Kon » 06 Oct 2009, 12:14

Everything from Cold meats to warm chocolate cake and cereals ,fresh orange juice etc.
We use to get up about 9.30am so i guess about 10.30 is their latest .
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Next

Return to Food and Drink