First Visit LOTS of information in this thread!

Archived useful topics that don't fit anywhere else!

Postby jacxxx » 31 May 2009, 18:49

Hi Everyone
My name is Jackie and I got married 2 weeks ago.
We're coming to Symi in July and staying at the Iapetos for our belated honeymoon (we have 3 kids who are not coming with us an it will be school holidays for them).
We've not been to Symi before but have been to other Greek Islands including Rhodes.
Can anyone give us any pointers for good places to eat, what our hotel is really like, what we should be wary of, etc,...

We're really looking forward to coming!!!!

Thanks in advance

Jackie x x x
jacxxx
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 31 May 2009, 18:56

Hi Jackie...welcome :)

Gosh there really are so many good places to eat, you'd honestly be hard pushed to get a bad meal.

But just to enter into the spirit of things, my personal favourites are Syllogos, Georgios, Nareida, Trata, Roof Top (Mythos or is it Stavros - Richard please help me out here), Zoe's and for something with a bit of Italian flair, Bella Napoli.

I'm sure visitors to this Noticeboard will be able to offer forth others worthy of note, which reminds me Adriana has mentioned Tolis down at Pedi on another thread....well worth a try and very reasonable and once the boats have gone, I personally think is the best place down in Pedi if you're looking for a beach location with a nice taverna close by.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby jacxxx » 31 May 2009, 19:13

ThankYou for the replies.

We can't wait to go - get away from it all.
Can you hire boats in the harbour to use personally for an hour or two????
Have so many questions but don't want to bombard you all.

Thanks again

Jackie x x x
jacxxx
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Allan » 31 May 2009, 23:05

Hi Jackie. Welcome to the chat page and best wishes on your recent marriage.

Don't worry about bombarding us with questions. There's only one thing that the folks here like better than talking about Symi and that's being there!

I've never stayed in Iapetos but I've had a drink or three in their very nice gardens (with some of the people from this chat page!) and blagged a nosey round one of the rooms a while back. The place is very new and the rooms are clean and spacious.

The pool is small but looks very inviting. The children will love it.

There is little I can add to the list of suggestions people have already given you for places to eat. I've yet to have a bad meal on Symi.

Since you are staying in Yialos it is tempting to stay 'downstairs' round the harbour the whole time but do spend some time in Chorio. You'll find it much quieter and more Greek than the harbour area. There are good places to eat and drink up there too.

More questions please.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jacxxx » 31 May 2009, 23:16

THanks for the replies again

We're not taking the children with us for our honeymoon and the reviews looked really good for the IApetos which is why we booked there.

We don't intend on spending too much time at the hotel pool - we like exploring and intend to do just that :)

We much prefer the smaller 'local' hotels but with it being our first time we booked through Olympic - something we've not done before.

Usually we book our accomodation and flights seperately.

We will definitely find our way up to Chorio one way or another as we do love the traditional greek areas rather than the hustle and bustle.

Is there anything or anywhere that we should avoid? What precautions do we need to take - I know Greek Islands tend to be very safe and friendly but I have read a few reviews about Immigrants in Symi and it not being too safe???

Whatever happens I am sure we'll have a FAB time but would rather have a some forewarning of any possible problems that go out there the trusting person I am.

Do any members on the site actually live out there????

ooh The questions will come thick and fast lol

Jackie x x x
jacxxx
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Allan » 31 May 2009, 23:20

jacxxx wrote:

We're not taking the children with us for our honeymoon
Ooops, sorry, I should have read your original post more carefully.

Iapetos isn't big by any means (nothing on Symi is!) and has a nice 'cosy' feel to it.

As for places to avoid, nothing comes to mind except for the dodgy municipal toilets in Yialos which can become a tad whiffy at times!

The island is very safe. Crime is virtually unheard of and there are no precautions you need to take take other than the usual holiday ones.

Another suggestion: Try one of the 'round the island' boat trips. A wonderfully relaxing way to spend a day.

Most of the members here are regular visitors to the island but you will also see posts from one or two island residents. In particular Adriana who works for Symi Visitor Accommodation and also writes her diary on the main Symi Visitor site.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jacxxx » 01 Jun 2009, 10:59

Wow! I want to go NOW!!!!!!

I can see we're going to love it there.

Anybody else going at the end of July????

Will definitely try the round the Island boat trip though x x x

Thanks All x x x
jacxxx
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Kon » 01 Jun 2009, 13:04

Jackie welcome and enjoy your trip ,you are going on my favourite time of the year July August.
Love to hear about your experience when you get back.
Don't worry about safety as Greece is still one of the only places you can feel secure any time of the day.
Make sure you take a boat trip to Agia Marina Beach.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby jacxxx » 01 Jun 2009, 17:56

I love all the suggestions - will have to bore you all when I get back with the pics lol

I really can't wait to go now
jacxxx
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby sainttheresa » 01 Jun 2009, 20:10

Hi Jackie congrats on your wedding, we stayed at lapetos last year and it was very good. We stay at Pedi Beach and that is also brilliant. Symi is the most special place and I am sure you will enjoy yourselves and probably want to return year after year.
sainttheresa
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 01 Jun 2009, 21:07

Allan wrote:

I've never stayed in Iapetos but I've had a drink or three in their very nice gardens (with some of the people from this chat page!) and blagged a nosey round one of the rooms a while back. The place is very new and the rooms are clean and spacious.

The pool is small but looks very inviting.

It was indeed very nice, made all the more so by the excellent company I shared the experience with. I'm sure you'll love it Jackie.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby ola » 01 Jun 2009, 22:13

A walk across the island to Ag. Vasilios or, even better although a bit more challenging, to Ag. Emilianos will bring on some astonishing views and some surprises in seeing the forested parts of the island that are barely visible from the sea.
There are guided walks by Hugo that links up with Triton and by Jytte linking up with Poseidon. A walk with Hugo will give you a tour of the Symi and Dodecanese history spiced with anecdotes and facts on flora, fauna and what have you to go with a morning of exercise.
Highly recommended and even if it gets hot by midday the "mountains" usually has a nice breeze and the walks starts fairly early.
Good shoes are recommended as the paths have a lot of sharp stones that (speaking from experience) will cut bare toes if you use sandals. And bring plenty of water.
There are lots of possibilities as walks go, the two mentioned have been the only ones to have guides in the warmest months in the later years.

Enjoy your first visit!
ola
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby jacxxx » 01 Jun 2009, 23:32

Thanks for all the replies - we've been busily planning although might be easier to play by ear once we're there :)
jacxxx
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby ola » 02 Jun 2009, 08:47

Good thinking - enjoy...
ola
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby jacxxx » 02 Jun 2009, 19:28

Is it too early to start packing?????

Only 7 weeks lol :)
jacxxx
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Adriana » 04 Jun 2009, 07:37

And I stopped off to put ashore a seasick crew member back in 93 and I'm still here...
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kon » 04 Jun 2009, 10:24

That's my motto as well when i find a place that is well "SPECIAL" I stick to it, Symi is that special place in my life where i can sit back and sigh a big breath of relaxed relief while sitting near the harbour and watching the boats come and go. My biggest problem is that we live so far away so I don't visit as often as most of our viewers here, but reading your experiences of your Symi holidays is well just as good as being there in a way.

My first visit was 1982 and it took 17 years to make my second trip and my last trip was 2006 so I am due for another, hopefully sooner than later.
Now you know why I love the webcam
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby jacxxx » 04 Jun 2009, 10:57

You're right there!!

Our favourite place in the world so far has been Zakynthos. We love it there and its a very special place for us. NOt the 18-30 loud bits but the unspoilt quiet tavernas on the coast and the small villages in the hills. We love it there but I think we're going to Love Symi just as much if not more from what I've read here.
The welcome from everybody on here has been FAB and just reading through other people's experiences already make us want to be there NOW!
Only 7 more weeks and then we're off. Can't wait. It just sounds like our sort of place.
jacxxx
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Return to Miscellaneous