Medical facilities

Archived useful topics that don't fit anywhere else!

Medical facilities

Postby nicola » 10 Aug 2009, 21:44

Hi all, this is my first post on the site, though I've been looking at this site for over a year.
I'll be coming to Symi in September for my second visit, woohoo!
I've had a few medical problems recently so I'd be interested to know what medical facilities there are on the island and is the EHIC accepted?
nicola
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby Richard » 10 Aug 2009, 22:19

Welcome to the Site, Nicola.

There are two doctor's clinics, one in Yialos Harbour(+30 22460 71316) and one up in the Chorio(+30 22460 71290). There are also 2 dentists's surgeries. The excellent pharmacy is also down in Yialos.

The Delfini clinic hydrofoil also makes regular visits to the Island and can deal with many more difficult medical problems. In an emergency, arrangements can be made to transfer patients to Rhodes by ferry or, occasionally, by helicopter.

Yes, the EHIC card may be used in Symi and throughout the EEC. Please make sure that it is still valid as 28 million of these have now been issued and many people forget to check the renewal date. These cannot be renewed automatically without a request by the holder because of the high percentage of address changes. Details of how to renew, together with much helpful information, is available . I hope you don't need it. We suggest that you post a photo of it on the web somewhere in case it goes missing.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby nicola » 10 Aug 2009, 23:14

Hi Richard, thanks for the information, it's much appreciated. Good idea to post photo on the web, it's not something I would have thought of, thanks.
nicola
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby Kojak » 10 Aug 2009, 23:32

Hello Nicola and welcome to the Noticeboard. I can vouch for the medical facilities on Symi. I was taken ill last year, a combination of a chest infection and ongoing problems with my neck. This was in the early hours of the morning. In no time at all I was taken to the clinic, given oxygen, a pain-killing injection and some antibiotics. Some years ago a friend had suspected heart trouble on Symi. He had regular calls from two doctors through the night and the next day was taken to Rhodes hospital where he was seen and treated immediately. I have to say that his care and treatment was better than you'd get at most NHS hospitals here!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby MrsMcS » 11 Aug 2009, 14:33

I have to say the treatment I received on Symi was excellent. I certainly only had a minor complaint as had a rather nasty allergic reaction to, I think, Symi shrimps!! I went along to the doctor's surgery in Yialos and was seen almost immediately. The doctor spoke very good English and gave me a thorough examination. Certainly much more of an examination that I would have expected back home. I was then sent on my way with a prescription for some steroids which I purchased at the pharmacy, and which cost me buttons to what they would have cost at home. I went armed with my insurance details, passport, etc. but was not asked for anything. I was just told you are part of the EEC and that was it. Didn't cost me a penny. Fantastic service.
MrsMcS
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby nicola » 11 Aug 2009, 18:50

Thanks for the replies, I'm greatly reassured.
Fingers crossed I won't need to find out first hand how good the medical treatment is!
nicola
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby Kon » 12 Aug 2009, 08:21

Nicola welcome to the SV chat ,you will notice a significant difference in your health the minute you step foot on Symi and it's all good.
Enjoy your trip
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby Adriana » 13 Aug 2009, 07:38

You don't need to worry, Nicola, the medical system here on Symi is surprisingly good for such a small island and the doctors actually still make house calls here !
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby Colette » 14 Aug 2009, 00:26

Because I've not been here for a few days I think I must have missed something but in case anyone is worried about medical care in Symi when my friend broke her wrist a few years ago the doc was brill.
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby Oor Willie » 14 Aug 2009, 01:05

And before any one jumps to conclusions Colette's friend was sober at the time, I know cause I was there
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby Monty » 14 Aug 2009, 17:56

Actually the doctors here are very good, as when my girl fainted in symi doctors come in a flash to her.
Monty
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Medical facilities

Postby Colette » 14 Aug 2009, 22:50

And as Willie and Heather know Cathy has returned each year since so that's a good reference for the Symi medical care. :D
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Miscellaneous