Pedi

Archived useful topics that don't fit anywhere else!

Pedi

Postby bobandmay » 30 Mar 2010, 15:25

Hi All...We had a lovely week in Pedi in 2008 and are looking to come back this year for a fortnight. Have seen on a couple of sites that Pedi now has a supermarket.There was just a little kiosk by the jetty before. We were wondering, and worried, that it might have expanded since we were last there,when there were just a few tavernas and a bar. Is Pedi going through expansion at all? We stayed at the Pedi Beach Hotel and have noticed that has changed hands too. Does anyone know if it is still ok to stay there. Would rather stay in one of the little studios around the bay but it seems so much easier to book a late package deal. Also have seen some rather silly posts about bickering between ex-pats on another site which is a shame. I hope that is just as silly as it sounds!.
All in all we are just hoping for some info on recent developments on Symi and especially Pedi over the last couple of years. We hope it hasn't changed too much as it is a magical place.Thanks....Bob and May
bobandmay
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Pedi

Postby Allan » 30 Mar 2010, 15:37

Hi Bob and May, welcome to the chat page

Don't worry about Pedi expanding, that hasn't happened! The 'supermarket' is where the kisok was but is tiny. Just enough for the families who live in Pedi and for the visiting yachts to stock up, nothing more.

The marina on the north side of the bay is coming along slowly and has caused some disruption for the people living in the fishermen's cottages there but doesn't affect the area at the head of the bay at all. Even when they were mixing the concrete for the marina you could hardly hear it from the bars and tavernas. It's a long walk round the bay from the hotel.

When (if) it is finished there may be more boats mooring there overnight but it's very unlikely to change the lovely peaceful character of Pedi.

I haven't stayed at the hotel but I'm sure others here could advise you on whether it has changed at all but before you book I'd suggest you contact Wendy at Symi Visitor Accommodation to ask about their accommodation in Pedi, they may be able to help you find something suitable.

Wherever you decide to stay you will find Pedi to be just as magical as it was in 2008. 8-)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Pedi

Postby bobandmay » 30 Mar 2010, 15:45

Thanks Allan ...that is great news.....Just phoned Olympic and the hotel seems pretty much booked up for May. Also it is half board and we love to have a walk and eat out so willl look at the accomadation you recommended. Is the weather good in May?.. Cheers.
bobandmay
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Pedi

Postby Allan » 30 Mar 2010, 16:10

The weather is good in May. There is a possibility of rain but it's very unlikely and will only be a shower if it does happen.

The evenings can be coolish so take a cardigan/light sweater for eating out and expect the sea to be, err, bracing. :D

You can expect daytime temperatures to be in the mid to high twenties - very pleasant indeed.

I'm not surprised the hotel is booked up for May, that month is becoming more and more popular. I think you will find quite a few of the chat page regulars will be there at the same time as you.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Pedi

Postby peterv » 30 Mar 2010, 19:18

I was in Symi in May 2008 and the weather was good and Allan's advice is just right.

Bob and May, can I be so bold as to suggest you try staying in Chorio as that is a great area. Wendy at Symi Visitor will be able to help yu there!
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Pedi

Postby JuliaB » 31 Mar 2010, 00:33

If you are happy to stay up in Chorio, you may find that there is some availability with Olympic. Anastasia Studios and Apartments overlook Pedi Bay (Olympic) as do Zoe's Apartment and Taxiarchis (Symi Visitor). I'm sure there are others that do too.

May is a great month to visit. Hope you find something that suits!
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Pedi

Postby hilary » 31 Mar 2010, 13:47

Have stayed at Pedi Beach Hotel many times - it has changed hands and is now half board but you can swap your evening meal for lunch any day. As for Pedi it is still a magical place as is all of Symi. We have been going to Symi now for 12 years and this year will be our 19th visit.
hilary
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Pedi

Postby D and E » 11 Apr 2010, 19:40

Hi Bob and May - hope you got booked and if you did decide on Chorio with Olympic we might see you there as we are in Anastasia in early May - the walk down to Pedi is one of the joys each day where last October we were sharing the beach with another couple but they were cats !! It hasn't changed but the taverna towards the boat yard was very much more open and has some new sunbeds which were nice.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Pedi

Postby Kojak » 12 Apr 2010, 19:42

The "supermarket" is run by the same man, Costas, who had the kiosk. As Allan says, it is small, more of a shop really. Pedi at one time (1980), had 2 shops which were just a room in a house. With the advent of the bus, people went up to Chorio or over to the harbour to shop so they finally closed due to lack of business. It's nice to see one opening in Pedi again so I hope Costas does well.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Pedi

Postby D and E » 12 Apr 2010, 22:23

Costas sausage pies go down well :)

We also remember a shop that sold beach stuff on the right-hand side at the final bend just before you walk down past the church to George's boat - I think that was during our first visit in the mid 90's. Closed a long time ago.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Miscellaneous