It's May so it must be Symi

Archived trip reports

Postby Gemma1 » 25 May 2014, 10:25

D and E wrote:

When booking the tickets at Symi Tours they made us aware of a bus trip they are doing : to Panormitis and then to Marathounda with photo stops at the top of the Vigla for €7 so that's another day sorted.

That sounds interesting and excellent value at 7 euros :) I've been to Panormitis before but never to Marathounda and I was wondering about trying to walk up to the top of the Vigla in September - this might be an easier option ;) I look forward to reading about it :)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Eliza » 25 May 2014, 11:08

We went on the Panormitis trip at Easter and enjoyed it. Well worth 7euro.
Eliza
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Olga » 25 May 2014, 19:59

I could kick myself, we looked at the notice in the office doorway, and then I went into the jewelers (Alexandra)talked to George about politics, and then forgot all about booking the trip, it would have been a great way to spend the day, as we (like Gemma1)
have been to Panormitis a few times, but never to Marathounda. Ah well maybe next time.
Olga
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby D and E » 26 May 2014, 06:44

Hi Olga - it is very easy to be distracted by that jewellery shop as E is living proof of !
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 26 May 2014, 07:02

Sunday saw us return to our favourite beach.
Lakis's 10:00 am bus did the extended run beyond the kiosk and so those wonderful views of the Pedi Valley were laid out before us.
George was just pulling in and we jumped on board to head for St.Nicholas.
Despite it being Sunday and the taxi boats from Yialos now running it was still relatively quiet although slightly more busy than the week before. The taverna is now in full swing and the small bar area fully stocked.
Lunch was faultless Greek salad, tzatziki, calamari and meatballs.
The swimming was wonderful and returning at 4pm with a short wait we got the 4:30 bus back.
Evening saw us taxi up to the Village Hotel and take the short stroll round to Yannis Rainbow for ouzo and then to Zoe's to say our goodbyes for another visit and enjoy a Mezes of meatballs in tomato sauce, giouvetsi, beetroot, tuna salad, bourayaki and beans gigantes and with a complementary apple with cinnamon to end - so simple but so refreshing - it was time to walk down by Manteio's past the church and pick up the Kali where the Opera Bar used to be.
And so it is Monday and the bus trip to Panormitis and then Marathounda for lunch starts at the Symi Tours office at 10:00 : that does mean that E and H will be close to Alexandros the jeweller :o
Kalimera
8-)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Olga » 26 May 2014, 23:59

Hope you had a great day, We have been trying to convince George that Alexandros should start to sell online, although this could have serious consequences for the bank balances of his numerous fans I think. Love the culinary tour.
Olga
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby D and E » 27 May 2014, 06:48

Monday and the Symi Tours trip.
After a frappe, at 10:00am the Symi Tours minibus picked us up just opposite where Posseidon berths in the harbour. The trip was fully subscribed but being only a minibus you are part of a small group. We had a short detour to pick up two people from the Pedi Beach Hotel so this is something for anyone staying in Pedi to note. We headed up the Vigla and stopped for 10-15 minutes to allow photos to be taken of the stunning panorama from Nimborio to Pedi with Yialos and Chorio set out way below you it is an unforgettable image (photo is going on Twitter @rutakingthep once I finish this post).
You are given a map and are accompanied by a driver and a guide who points out places of interest. Another 10-15 minute stop allows for a photo opportunity looking down into Panormitis. Seeing the monastery and the bay from this height was a first and I will post the image on Twitter.
You arrive in Panormitis at 11am and have an hour. The day boats (2 were in when we arrived) are there until about 11:30 so we had a beer first and waited for the monastery and museum to quieten down before having a look round.
We then had the 10mins journey to Marathounda and had until 2pm to swim and have a leisurely lunch. The taverna at Marathounda is excellent (as is the swimming in the crystal clear waters). We had the lightest zucchini balls we have tasted with a Greek salad, Symi cheese (goats we think) and tuna salad and with a complementary sweet of plump sultanas in syrup we were replete. Marathounda should not be missed either by taxi boat or by this new means of visiting. The goats will provide you with all the entertainment you need (photos on Twitter).
The bus returned directly to Yialos (via Pedi Beach Hotel to return our fellow passengers that we had picked up) and we were back by 3:30pm. There appeared to be universal appreciation of the trip and we understand that this may be extended to three times a week and may incorporate Toli Bay where there is another excellent taverna. This is great news as normally only walkers, car / scooter hirers or, like D and E experienced, the kindness of a Symiot takes you to this place.
This trip is an opportunity to head inland and see Symi from another angle. Well worth it and we wish Symi Tours every success with this.
Evening saw us return to Odyseus, round from the Hanari boatyard, after an ouzo stop in the Corner Bar, Elpida's and cocktails on the the jetty at the Nireus Hotel. As described in an earlier post Manolis has got himself a chef that is providing a very different dining experience and we cannot commend this highly enough : any "foodies" visiting Symi this year should walk round : we do not think you will be disappointed but would love to hear what you think.
We had a Mezes of an amazingly fresh salad of lettuce with walnuts, crumbled Roquefort cheese, orange, cherry tomato, cucumber with a Symi honey and balsamic dressing (outstanding); a fresh whole grilled squid with tartare sauce (memorable); the feta parcels in honey; spetzafia (the sausage with onions and peppers) - both repeat dishes from our earlier visit so that says it all; and one of the most prefectly grilled pieces of chicken. We finished with a complementary plate of the lightest tiramisu accompanied by sliced orange and apple. A truly excellent dinner.
The menu extends way beyond what we have experienced and includes seafood based pasta dishes; fresh fish at fixed price as well as priced by weight; grilled meats and a range of very interesting salads and the prices are comparable with all the other restaurants we have visited which average out around €55 including water, retsina and bread and that is for the four of us NOT per head.
It really has been wonderful being able to mix this new style menu into the equally good and more traditional places that we frequent.
Sorry for the slightly longer post but yesterday was a wonderful day and we felt it was worth sharing.
Today (Tuesday) is our last night on Symi although we do have until the 16:30 ferry tomorrow so as is now the norm, the skies are blue, the sun is coming up and the plan of the day needs discussion over an espresso fredo to kick the brain into gear.
Kalimera.
8-)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 27 May 2014, 08:28

Don't apologise for the longer post - my eyes lit up when I saw it :) Your trip sounds ideal for me - were they all couples on it or were there any single people? I went to Panormitis on the local bus so you don't get those photo opportunities.

A couple of hours at Marathounda sounds ideal for me too as I'm not really one to spend all day on the beach and it's a bit far to walk back from Marathounda if you've had enough ;) . Sounds like excellent value and it can be my 'new' thing to do on Symi this year as I try to do a new walk or something every year (last trip it was the walk to Toli Bay)

I'm surprised how reasonable your meals have been as usually budget 20 euros for my evening meal and only ever eat fish that's a fixed price, not sold by weight. It just shows that Symi doesn't have to be expensive :)

Enjoy your last day on Symi - and thanks for bringing Symi closer to all of us that have to wait a while for our Symi fix this year ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby JuliaB » 27 May 2014, 16:21

Good to see you again, D and E!Have a safe journey home. Now going on to Twitter. Hope there's the selfie of E and the goat! ;)
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 27 May 2014, 21:00

The Symi tours trip sounds like very good value, we have had a look on their website to see if we could pre book but can't read Greek!!! We will send them an email to see as o think this will be snapped up when we are there in July. Tonight's your last night and we are having a bet on where you dine so will look forward to your next post.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby D and E » 28 May 2014, 08:22

Hi Gemma1 : there were singles as well as couples on the trip and after the first photo stop everyone was chatting : after the lunchtime ouzo's and retsina everyone was best friends :-)
Hi JuliaB : hope you found the photo of E and the goat : enjoy your second week.
Hi Pollychops : yes we also and do something new each visit but it took us about 10 years until we ventured to Marathounda on a taxi boat ! - as we say "avrio"
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 28 May 2014, 08:32

So here we are on the last day : the early morning Dodek has sailed and we are heading down for breakfast.
We spent yesterday at Nimborio but taking the taxi boat instead of walking.
The sea is warming up - anyway that's what I told our crew !
Lunch was the fabulous Mousaka, smelts (small fish) and tatziki.
A taxi to Chorio for ouzo was followed by what is traditional now - the last night is like the first - Giorgios - where we had stuffed tomato and peppers; bourataki; spinach balls; lemon chicken; cheese, ham and tomato small pies.
Well that's it for another visit : we will spend the day around Yialos, have a lunch somewhere and then head off on the 16:30.
As ever it has been wonderful food, wonderful weather, wonderful company (thank you H and P) and wonderful Symi and its people.
Home to plan the next visit.
Yasou
:)
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby NeilAmanda » 28 May 2014, 13:04

When does the diet start?

Glad that you had a great time... thanks for all the tips regarding the restaurants. We can't wait only 4 weeks to go!

Regards

Neil Amanda
NeilAmanda
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Val » 28 May 2014, 17:42

So sad that your holiday is over. Reading your daily report was definitely the next best thing to being there D and E. Thank you so much for sharing your holiday with us. Your reports have been outstanding and without doubt the best thread ever. Good wishes for a safe and uneventful journey home to Wales and fingers crossed when you arrive you'll have brought the sunshine with you, because you certainly brought it into our lives on a daily basis via your writing...and when I started reading it I was still in Greece myself! You kept that holiday glow going a little longer and I'll miss it. So a Big Thank You to you.
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Gemma1 » 29 May 2014, 07:35

I've really enjoyed reading your daily reports - especially as the weather has been so awful the past few days. It's wet and miserable here again today and the heating is back on! Hope you bring some of that Symi sunshine back to the UK with you ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 29 May 2014, 11:25

D and E many thanks for your fantastic posts, its been an absolute pleasure looking forward to your daily updates. It makes this forum all the better and fills us with excitment on our forthcoming visit. We have taken on board all of the restaraunts you visited ansd there are a number we have not visited but intend to do so. The list has been made its now just deciding on the day which one we choose. We hope you have had a safe journey home.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Previous

Return to Trip Reports