Reflections

Archived trip reports

Reflections

Postby D and E » 29 May 2014, 16:45

It is very gratifying to see so many people following the thread that we created during our last two weeks on Symi and many thanks for the lovely comments - we were quite overwhelmed reading these today. And yes NeilAmanda the diet starts now :cry:

Our initial concerns over the later EasyJet flight from Liverpool, it having been a morning flight out and an afternoon return the previous twice we used this route, were unfounded. In fact it has a lot to commend it. OK you miss a night on Symi but you do arrive on the Thursday feeling well rested. You then gain a day as we were able to spend the Wednesday on Symi and catch the later (16:30) ferry. We arrived in Rhodes (Akadia harbour) where there were plenty of taxis and were in the airport by 18:45 for the 21:15 flight. We were in the Hampton Hotel directly opposite Liverpool Arrivals by 11:45. Living where we do we are used to spending nights each side of the holiday on or near the airport.
So here we are back on the coast of Mid Wales : it is 12-15C and the sun is trying hard to get through the cloud. We have secured the release of Greyam, our cat, from the cattery; the cases are all unpacked and the washing machine is going full blast.
As we wandered around Yialos on our last day the kindness of the Symi people touched us yet again. A beer appearing out of nowhere, another carafe of retsina at lunch provided with just a smile and "efheristo", and a bill for a final round of frappes just disappearing (thank you Panagiotis) !
Also thank you S and L who we are sure were still waving from the Clock Tower as we rounded the headland ;) : have a lovely second week and hope that one of those days you will get past Pachos and make it to Nimborio :P
We did push the boat out and stayed at Thea Apartments - just Google it. The room with bathroom ensuite equates to what you find in 5 star hotels : in fact better than one we stayed in recently ! Panagiotis the young owner could not do enough to make the stay perfect. The cleaning regime, the welcome bottle of wine, bottles of water replenished every day, honey and butter provided, coffee supplied and even yoghurt put in the fridge every day !! The fluffiest of towels, shampoos, body lotion, shower gels all provided and restocked daily. E thought the bed was just sublime (so much so we are now searching the web for a new mattress !!) Simply superb.
We do like the diversity of the many different properties we stay in and will continue to mix it up and we never rule out Olympic who, when it comes to value, are hard to beat but we are certain that Thea is now on our list of properties that we return to.
So many of the locals whom we have become close to over the years were shocked when we told them that we might only visit once this year as we have a commitment to visit close family in the USA in November. We really can't let them down so even if it is just a week we had better start looking at what's available in September :o
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Reflections

Postby snoopy2 » 30 May 2014, 00:12

Wow - will certainly Google Thea. Missed most of your earlier blogs but living in n.e. Scotland is the equivalent of the coast of Wales so well used to overnights each way, one way or at least expecting to lose a night on destination. Got a BIG birthday coming up and need to decide between Symi for three wee ;) ks or a.n.other Greek destination we like - Theo's sounds the bees b===ks - I mean knees. Thanks.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Reflections

Postby Robert » 03 Jun 2014, 17:07

Just to say how much we enjoyed reading your posts - they are so very descriptive and we never cease to be amazed by your energy (and how much you eat!) fascinating that there are so many eateries on Symi and all so good!
Thank you
Bob and Sam
Robert
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Reflections

Postby Allan » 03 Jun 2014, 18:09

I should add my thanks too, D and E. Your daily report has given me the incentive to try some new eateries this year.

I've moved your report from last year to the Archive section for safe keeping (it's under 'What to do' and is renamed to 'Symi holiday blog'). I'll move this year's to the same place once people have finished reading it. 2596 reads so far and still rising! :o
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Reflections

Postby Gemma1 » 04 Jun 2014, 08:25

Allan wrote:
I should add my thanks too, D and E. Your daily report has given me the incentive to try some new eateries this year.

I've moved your report from last year to the Archive section for safe keeping (it's under 'What to do' and is renamed to 'Symi holiday blog'). I'll move this year's to the same place once people have finished reading it. 2596 reads so far and still rising! :o

Hope you're not going to move it for a while yet Allan. I still need to make a note of some restaurants/meals for my trip to Symi in September but at the moment am busy making notes for my trip to Sissi which starts on Saturday. It's over 20 years since I visited that part of Crete so I'm expecting a few changes ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Reflections

Postby Allan » 04 Jun 2014, 08:57

It will still be available to read when it's been moved, just in a different place where it won't get buried beneath newer posts, that's all.

Enjoy your trip to Sissi and please tell us about it when you return. I'll be there for the first time in October (how about that for a coincidence!) and will be looking for pointers to good bars and tavernas. :)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Reflections

Postby Gemma1 » 06 Jun 2014, 07:40

Allan wrote:
It will still be available to read when it's been moved, just in a different place where it won't get buried beneath newer posts, that's all.

Enjoy your trip to Sissi and please tell us about it when you return. I'll be there for the first time in October (how about that for a coincidence!) and will be looking for pointers to good bars and tavernas. :)

I'll be doing a report for TA so will post it in off topic for you Allan. Sissi was really quiet the last time I went and I think it's still relatively quiet now so hope you want a restful holiday if you're going in October ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Reflections

Postby snoopy2 » 11 Jun 2014, 09:56

:cry: Boo Hoo - all the chat about where and when bloggers are off is giving me itchy feet but can't have a hol this year. spent literally thousands on flood prevention so no holiday until 2015 at the earliest. I will just have to live vicariously through all your blogs you lucky people. Fortunately n.e. Scotland is getting some scorching weather just now so a little compensation but swimming in the heated outdoor pool is a poor second to the Med 8-) 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Reflections

Postby Liz » 14 Jun 2014, 21:18

*Lurker alert* .. we shall also be going to Crete later this year .. the other side though Kolymbari ..about an hour outside Chania .. quiet and peaceful .. can't wait !
Liz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Trip Reports