Sevasti Studios and Olympic

Archived posts about accommodation on Symi

Postby John H » 27 May 2014, 12:09

I've been to Symi many times over the last 20 years but never with Olympic, and I've not stopped at the Sevasti Studios before, but they seem to have good reviews on Tripadviser. I prefer staying in Chorio to Yialos and I know the studios are fairly high up (near the museum?) but I don't mind that. I know some of you have strong opinions about Olympic but I'm not too worried about their level of service as I know my way around Rhodes Town and Symi but I wondered if you could answer a few queries I've got?

- With a flight scheduled to land at 4.15pm would you recommend getting a taxi to the ferry rather than relying on the Olympic coach transfers? I'm assuming the ferry will be at 7.00pm.
- Do Olympic deliver luggage to the accomodation? I'm happy to make my own way from the ferry if necessary but would like to know beforehand if I need to
- Do you have a rough idea how much the air conditioning in Sevasti costs?
- Is there a fridge? Got to have some way to keep the water/yogurt/Mythos cool!

Thanks!
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 27 May 2014, 12:24

Hi John H,
Last year we travelled with Olympic and landed approx same time, we considered getting a tax into the docks to ensure 7pm crossing however, in the baggae area the fabulous Justine was there to inform us there was a dedicated coach going straight to the docks to ensure we met that crossing. I would suggest you wait till you arrive then when the Olypic rep meets you ask to see if theynare catching that ferry. If it's not Justine then you may be staying overnight.Olympic do deliver and collect your luggage and I would guess you get a lift too. As for the rest I am sorry but can't help you as never stayed there.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby John H » 27 May 2014, 13:04

Thanks Pollychops. Is Justine based in Symi or Rhodes? I guess if she's on Symi she would want to get back herself rather than stop overnight on Rhodes.
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby JuliaB » 27 May 2014, 16:14

When we arrived last Wednesday, Justine met the Olympic group and they were on the 7.00pm Dodek to Symi. I imagine there would only be a problem if the flight was delayed. Yes, Justine is based in Symi and yes, your luggage will be taken up to the village for you though I don't know how close the drop-off point will be to Sevasti studios. Have a great time!
JuliaB
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Pollychops » 27 May 2014, 21:07

Depends on your time of your return flight, ours was a late one and we arranged with Justine to get the last ferry crossing which gave us nearly all day in Symi.
Pollychops
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Adriana » 28 May 2014, 08:54

Although Sevasti is very high up, it is a level trundle along the lane from the nearest vehicle access point at the old Lavinia Studios. It is that rare thing on Symi - really high up in the old town but with easy access :-)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Andy W » 28 May 2014, 14:41

John H wrote:
Thanks Pollychops. Is Justine based in Symi or Rhodes? I guess if she's on Symi she would want to get back herself rather than stop overnight on Rhodes.

Yes, Justine is a year-round Symi resident and would obviously prefer to get back home at night. More to the point, she's Olympic Holidays only employee on Symi so unless all the flights that she's expecting people off are so late they'll all miss the ferry, she's no choice but to accompany the customers who have arrived in time across to Symi and get them settled in their accommodation. There are other reps on Rhodes who look after arrivals both from delayed flights and flights that are timetabled to arrive too late to make the evening boat. These people then get taken to the ferry in the morning, given tickets, and Justine meets them when they arrive in Symi.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby John H » 28 May 2014, 19:29

Thanks for the answers - just got to look forward to that first Ouzo now!
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Olga » 28 May 2014, 20:06

We have just returned from the Sevasti, and can tell you that although it is at the back of the village, it is very easy to access, being just along a (fairly) level lane from the main road. A taxi met us and took us and luggage to the lane end, where we were met by Manolis (owner)The apartments have fridges, and Manolis will provide you with six 2 ltr bottles of water for 2 euro. The air con is 3 euro a day, I think, but there is a note in the room with prices. it has free Wi Fi, and the password is provided.
Manolis and Sevasti are lovely,and the apartments are very clean, and of course the view is stunning.
Hope you enjoy your holiday.
Olga
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Adriana » 29 May 2014, 09:32

When I walk down to walk I often pass dutiful husbands carrying fresh bread and other breakfast necessities up the hill to Sevasti ;)

Ladies, make sure yours is well trained!
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 29 May 2014, 17:03

One of the great joys on Symi is that a baker selling bread hot out of the oven is never that far away whether staying in Chorio or Yialos and one of the many magical things about Symi is the role reversal and D doing the bread run so willingly - anyway back home to reality today so E had better head for Morrisons :-(
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby John H » 29 May 2014, 18:03

Well I've now booked for the first couple of weeks of July - our usual time - and got a fantastic deal through Olympic; two weeks all included for less than I paid for a week in a cottage in Devon in April. As we had a pretty expensive holiday in the US to celebrate my 'significant' birthday last year and are planning another one to celebrate Mrs H's next year we weren't going to go away this year but the price was so good it would have been rude not to! I'll say hello, Adriana, when I'm being the dutiful husband getting in the bread! Thanks for the info on Olympic and Sevasti everyone.
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby John H » 11 Jul 2014, 15:33

Got back on Wednesday and I just thought I'd mention that the Sevasti Studios were excellent and although we didn't need to use her services, the Olympic Rep Justine was absolutely charming. The studios were serviced every day, and both Manolis and his wife were very friendly and helpful. We always stay in Chorio and the only downside was that we are used to walking back from Pedi in the afternoon or up the Kali Strata if we go down in the evening, but the extra 75 or so steps after reaching the village put us off so we ended up using the bus most days. The upside is that if you mention 'Sevasti' when you get on the bus, they will take you all the way to the top. I would definitely recommend the studios and will certainly use them again.
John H
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Accommodation