Back Pack from Symi

Back Pack from Symi

Postby Sortoggy » 11 Oct 2007, 13:58

Hi

Im new here so please be gently !!!
Booked up for 2 weeks next September for Symi whilst there we wonder if any one can help with Islands we could backpack to for a few days??
I realise they do do boat trips around the Island which is great but can you get to any of the others except of course Rhodes which we have been to anyway. Any information would be gratefull.

Thanks in advance
Sortoggy
Sortoggy
Starting Visitor

Back Pack from Symi

Postby Mille » 11 Oct 2007, 14:13

Welcome Sortoggy :D

We'll be gentle with you, as we are with all newcomers.

I'm sorry I cant help you with the backpack stuff.
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Back Pack from Symi

Postby Allan » 11 Oct 2007, 14:17

Hi Sortoggy and welcome.

The two closest islands are Tilos and Halki. It has been possible to get directly to Tilos from Symi in the past but that could well change by next September! To get to Halki you have to go via Rhodes and you'll lose most of a day travelling each way.

Further away are Kos, Kalimnos, Leros, Patmos and Lipsi - all possible via the Dodecanese Express/Pride high speed ferries direct from Symi. The timetables and routes are on their site but they are likely to change before next year.

It's fun to plan trips to other islands but be warned... Once you get to Symi you probably won't want to leave!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Back Pack from Symi

Postby Glen » 11 Oct 2007, 14:26

hi there is an excelent interisland service now in the form of the Docanissos pride and Express boats. so links to other islands in the docenese from symi have never been better.

I would check out their itinieries and plan it from there
Glen
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Back Pack from Symi

Postby Kon » 11 Oct 2007, 14:39

Hi sortoggy welcome to the chat page ,have you thought about the Samaria Gorge in Crete its a haven for hikers and backpackers.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Pack from Symi

Postby Sortoggy » 11 Oct 2007, 14:53

Hi To All Of You

Thank you all so much for your help it has at least given us an idea of where we can get to and wait till next years timetable is out. We will definately venture off to Tilos and Halki? but dont want to loose to much precious time. What is the Volcanic Island near there Nissyros Like ?? can you stay there and is that on route??

We will be staying at Anastasoulla Mouragio think it is by the Clock tower somewhere hope it is ok dont mind basic that is what we expect but we do like a balcony and cant find any info on that so if anyone out there has any info on the accomodation as well that would be great.
Also thank you for the link to Crete we have been there and loved it well worth it to go along the Gorge.

Once again thanks

Sortoggy
Sortoggy
Starting Visitor

Back Pack from Symi

Postby maziemoo » 11 Oct 2007, 15:42

Welcome Sortoggy, we will be gentle....promise....ooo for all of 2 weeks....then the fun begins :twisted: . Seriously, we're a nice bunch so hope you have fun joining us :D .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Pack from Symi

Postby Kojak » 11 Oct 2007, 17:08

I've just returned from the Anastasoulla, Sortoggy. It's clean, basic and just up the steps past the Post Office. There are only very small balconys on 4 of the rooms, enough perhaps to hang a small clothes line on. On the second floor of the annex there is a larger balcony which opens offf the central stairs. Not much of a view I'm afraid, but I've been happy to stay there for the last few years and Maria and staff are very friendly and helpful.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Back Pack from Symi

Postby Allan » 11 Oct 2007, 17:28

Sortoggy

It is possible to get to Nissyros and you can stay there. Whether you would want to is another thing. After you've taken the tourist trip to the volcano there's little else to see.

Sweet Sue, a regular contributor here, managed a trip to Patmos and Lipsi during her stay in Symi this year.

Be warned that the ferry timetable do change and often with little warning! Leave your planning until you get to Symi and have got the latest information.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Messages from the forum admins