A Message from Nikos Halkitis

Postby Symi Visitor Office » 11 Feb 2008, 07:38

The following appeared in the February edition of the Symi Visitor newspaper:

As we end our 10th year, I want to express our thanks to so many of you who have supported us along the way. When we first started Symi Visitor the newspaper, it was always our vision to see it become a key part of island commerce and to provide a social network. Some 120 issues later, and an international base of subscribers, as well as a loyal island following, show that we are achieving this goal. Symi Visitor has now evolved into so much more than just a newspaper. It includes accommodation services, property management, real estate and construction.

As we look to the next 10 years to bring continued island growth, and increasing international recognition, we hope to contribute by being part of our economic expansion in tourism, increased employment in new areas such as arts and culture, highlight the achievements of our the Symi Women�s Association, and to keep promoting Symi as an ideal tourist destination, and place to live and enjoy life.

We have an opportunity in the short term to establish a Sister City relationship with Tarpon Springs, Florida. Here, many residents whose families came from Symi, want to strengthen economic and cultural ties with our island. Conversations with Tarpon Springs Mayor Beverley Billiris, has already put this opportunity into motion. In fact, at press time for this February issue, I will be visiting Mayor Billiris and others in Tarpon Springs to begin the process of bringing our two sister communities together, with the goal of benefiting us all.

Bringing more visitors and residents to our island will result in increased achievement for everyone.

Again, I personally thank the locals of Symi for making it a great place to live and work and for your ongoing support.

Nikos Halkitis
Proprietor
Symi Visitor Office
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Joanie » 11 Feb 2008, 12:57

It would also be nice to get some of the members from Florida and others from different parts of the world together on Symi at the same time.Now that would be a good party that could go on for quite a few days :geek: 8-) :geek: 8-)
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kon » 11 Feb 2008, 13:35

Nikos thanks to you and your great team also for providing us with a great paper (Symi Visitor)which keeps us in contact with the place we all love Symi and especially for those far far away visitors.Keep up the good work. :) :geek:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Richard » 11 Feb 2008, 19:18

Hear, hear. Both this site and the newspaper give us all a lot of pleasure.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 11 Feb 2008, 20:25

Congratulations Niki! :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kyriako » 11 Feb 2008, 20:35

The newspaper and website have given pleasure to many who have visited or intend to visit the island. They have enabled people to contribute to debate on island affairs from all over the World and the website has people signed-up from all walks of life from many different countries. I think a big 'Thank You' is in order for those who give up their spare time to ensure that things run smoothly and to the creator(s) who made it possible. :D
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby hilarias » 11 Feb 2008, 22:20

Thank you Niko. From one Aussie to another I thank you for giving us somewhere we can read, write and communicate to others about the land of our fore fathers. Hats off to you all!!!! :D :)
hilarias
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Anthony » 11 Feb 2008, 22:57

I wholeheartedly echo the comments above! :D :D :D :D
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 11 Feb 2008, 23:40

I second everything that has been said here Nikos :) .

Congratulations and all good wishes for a continued successful future :) !

Thank you so much for providing us with a forum to come and share our preoccupation with Symi :mrgreen: . It's great to be able to keep up to date with what's going on on the island and to chat with other folks who know more about Symi than I do so are in a position to educate me.

And lets not forget the webcam, something which I just can't seem to live without looking at on a daily basis :mrgreen: .

Thank you to everyone who makes Symi Visitor website and Symi Visitor newspaper possible and available for our enjoyment....I'm truly grateful.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Dave » 13 Feb 2008, 00:02

Yes, a good job well done.
I remember that first morning on Symi, complimentary copy of The Visitor - niiiiiice !
But, many thanks also to the ones behind the scenes for their sterling work ....... Wendy, Adrianna, Mike the Educator and not forgetting Kojak as moderator before it got nasty, the current moderators, Allan and Mile who are absolutely fantastic ( after that grovelling, guys, can I have a free shot without censorship ? There are a couple of balloons I want to prick ....... or should that be vice-versa ?
Cracking job, well done over the years - kept everyone in touch with everything when we couldn't get there - many thanks
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby The Deedle » 13 Feb 2008, 22:17

I thank you all at the SV too, you certainly had a wonderful idea starting the paper and also the website. It has brought alot of people together and makes us feel as if we are still on Symi. Think you should start a gossip page though!!
The Deedle
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Richard » 13 Feb 2008, 22:22

ANOTHER gossip page?
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 13 Feb 2008, 22:42

:D :D :D ...I think one is more than enough, besides which I'm not interested in the day to day tittle tattle of the private lives of folk on Symi :P !

[quote="Richard"]

ANOTHER gossip page?
[/quote]
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kon » 14 Feb 2008, 04:12

What would you call such a page "the ps ps page" and it is a Greek Tradition to "PS PS" :D
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kyriako » 14 Feb 2008, 16:29

[quote="The Deedle"]

Think you should start a gossip page though!!
[/quote]

That's me outta here! :(
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Joanie » 14 Feb 2008, 16:45

Oh come on Dom you must like a good gossip :) :) :)
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Dave » 14 Feb 2008, 21:58

What do you mean, "another gossip page"? I read it once or twice ..... that was not gossip, that was ............. (fill your own word in, but it wasn't gossip - or remotely amusing :( )
[quote="Richard"]

ANOTHER gossip page?
[/quote]
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kyriako » 14 Feb 2008, 23:43

[quote="Joanie"]

Oh come on Dom you must like a good gossip :) :) :)
[/quote]

I might well do Babs . . . but just remember this: those who gossip to you gossip about you. :oops:
Kyriako
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 15 Feb 2008, 18:53

Aint that just the truth ;)

[quote="kyriako"]

I definitely took it as a joke MM . . . though I do wonder what gossip Deeds has in mind?? Maybe we should ask her! :)
[/quote]
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 15 Feb 2008, 20:08

And I have to come out in support of our lovely Mille here too...she would have meant no malice in what she said cos she's a peace loving girl and my mate :mrgreen: .

[quote="Mille"]

So did I... perhaps I should have used this :twisted: instead? :P
[/quote]
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Next

Return to Messages from the forum admins