New Webcam

New Webcam

Postby Allan » 05 Aug 2008, 22:29

It's working Joanie but Mike hasn't had time to add it to the main webcam page, he's enjoying his holiday! :)

In the meantime you can see it on the temporary page by clicking this picture:
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

New Webcam

Postby maziemoo » 06 Aug 2008, 01:08

I love this view :mrgreen: !

Ebony turned her nose up at the Retsina :( but said the olives look tasty :) ! Think she quite fanced the hamster on the wheel too ;)
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Richard » 06 Aug 2008, 23:42

How did the animal fill the bottle? Now we know how the Kourtaki got the flavour.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Richard » 20 Sep 2008, 10:49

Stop waving that plastic cam cover around, Allan, and give us our boats back.

Edit: That's better, thanks. They are both refreshing every 30 seconds. Now you can go and have a beer.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Allan » 20 Sep 2008, 17:36

Sorry for the interruption Richard. I thought the camera needed a bit of protection from the expected storm.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

New Webcam

Postby symivisitor » 20 Sep 2008, 22:49

Looks like you got the cover on just in time Allan. :)

That looks wet! :o

[img]http://www.symivisitor.com/raincam.jpg[/img]
symivisitor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Richard » 20 Sep 2008, 22:53

That should wash the dust off.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby symivisitor » 21 Sep 2008, 00:07

And this looks wetter:

[img]http://www.symivisitor.com/wetter.jpg[/img]

Hope our roof is Ok. :o
symivisitor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Allan » 21 Sep 2008, 08:30

Oh, it was wet alright! Pity the camera didn't capture the lightening. :o
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

New Webcam

Postby Richard » 21 Sep 2008, 10:14

And now it's brilliant sunshine for the Arrival. Something about the sun shining on the righteous?
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Richard » 24 Sep 2008, 13:16

Welcome back, Bus.

Edit: Oh, it's gone again.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Anthony » 27 Oct 2008, 01:06

[quote="maziemoo"]

.....and no doubt a bottle full of Mythos!
[/quote]I noted with some alarm on Rhodes that Mythos was being advertised (in English)as a "mythical" beer :?: :?:

Fortunately it proved still to be in no way mythical when I got to Symi ! :geek:

'myth' (Concise Oxford Dictionary) - purely fictitious narrative; hence 'mythical'
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Kojak » 27 Oct 2008, 08:18

Does this mean that I've been a mythical drunk all these years? :geek:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby maziemoo » 27 Oct 2008, 16:57

[quote="Kojak"]

Does this mean that I've been a mythical drunk all these years? :geek:
[/quote]

Oh I think perhaps you are a legend in your own right mate :geek: ;) !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Kojak » 02 Nov 2008, 12:51

Symi harbour seems to have tilted a little - has the mobile crane in Pedi excavated a little too much? I seem to remember the same thing happening when they extended the quayside in front of the stretch where Pachos and the Comfy chairs is.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby mikegadd » 21 Nov 2008, 22:11

For a long while now, some businesses have installed video cameras on buildings in Symi. Some of these broadcast live pictures on the internet where they can be viewed from anywhere and everywhere in the world. The image from one of these cameras, for example, has Mouragio and the harbour filling the top of the picture and the road by the bus stop in the bottom half. When the "Aegli" is moored in Symi, it is shown clearly. You can also see the people getting off and on. The same is also true for the �Proteus�. The images on these websites are updated every thirty seconds.

While certain cameras are too high up and have too poor a picture quality for faces to be clearly seen, the movements of Port Police and Greek Navy boats, as well as Army vehicles on the road, are being recorded systematically and broadcast live to the World. I understand that the Symi Port Police have expressed concern, as such cameras clearly break the law regarding video surveillance and security in border islands such as Symi, but these concerns have so far been ignored.

Several months ago the situation worsened as another camera was installed in the centre of the harbour, showing the pavement, harbourside walk and the taxi boats. Any vehicles passing along the road can be recorded and broadcast live. With this camera, faces are visible and recognisable and all who visit the surrounding buildings can also be shown.

I think it�s unacceptable that there are cameras on Symi that spy on us on a daily basis. Watching the cameras a few days ago for a few minutes, I was able to see people that I recognise, and I am sure that none of them know that their business is now being shown off to the World in this way.

Everyone who cares about their privacy should complain about these cameras to the relevant authorities and they may then be taken off the air. Spying by camera on people has become a way of life in many parts of the world, especially in Great Britain and Northern Europe, but despite the efforts of some to import them to Greece, the Greek law is clear: this way of spying is illegal.

Christos Byron
� The News of Symi newspaper

Any thoughts? :?:

Anthony?
mikegadd
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Kon » 21 Nov 2008, 22:38

Two words "GOOGLE EARTH)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Richard » 21 Nov 2008, 22:49

This is indeed a difficult question. As this person says, the definition is not good enough (at 640x480) to see faces. We the viewers do take great delight in seeing this beautiful place when we are not fortunate enough to be on the Island but can understand that some might object to being the subject of such "surveillance". Many of the people I know on Symi are well aware that these cameras exist but I have never heard a word against them. Indeed, they seem pleased that we are able to keep in touch while we are planning our next visit, to their benefit. Furthermore, I have seen some of them wave to the camera, especially the new one, in the knowledge that this picture will be transmitted (if anyone happens to be watching). These cameras are a wonderful advertisement for Symi.

The point about the movements of army and harbour police vehicles is more difficult. Admittedly we are unlikely to take much notice of such movements and would not know the significance of these. It is evident that anyone who is really intested in these is likely to have set up his own webcam (a very easy task) and could then track these far more efficiently than these fixed cameras. Who knows how many of these private cameras exist? The repositioning of the old camera no longer covers the area around the Police Station so a major source of possibly embarassing surveillance no longer exists.

There is no easy answer. Doubtless the Mayor will take account of all opinions and give his considered reply in due course. It would be a severe blow to me if the decision were taken to remove these cameras which give us such enjoyment and comfort. Such decision would have to be for the benefit of the people of Symi. I trust that he will come to the correct decision and hope that these cameras will be allowed to remain. They keep Symi in our minds and hearts and encourage us to return when possible. Think carefully, Lefteris.

Incidentally, what is this News of Symi publication?
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby Kojak » 22 Nov 2008, 05:48

This is a piece of mischief of course. This was not an article or an editorial in the newspaper but a letter written by a person from another Symi website. A person who, by the way, takes and publishes on the internet many photographs of people, close up and in very clear definition which means, of course, that they are easily recognisable. These photographs include many of parades where military personnel and police are present. I'm sure the photographer does not and indeed cannot ask permission of every person whose photograph is taken and published for the world to see. It seems therefore that the letter is at the least, very hypocritical...
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

New Webcam

Postby sarah » 22 Nov 2008, 08:29

just to add type in to any search engine greek webcam and a whole list of webcams pop up all over greece on beaches in towns i even found some in athens granted in some you wouldnt recognise a person but what about the others that do do they require permission to broadcast im sure the ones in athens would have been shut down for sure in that case as the address was clearly stated on the website as Kojack said someones trying to cause mischief
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Messages from the forum admins