12 days to go!!

Postby Ian » 09 Jun 2006, 13:44

Anyone else arriving on 21st June?
Ian
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

12 days to go!!

Postby Kon » 13 Jun 2006, 05:54

Enjoy Ian ,give us some feedback when you get back,i'll be there in August :D how many are going in August?

ETHO KAI TORA
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

12 days to go!!

Postby lindy » 13 Jun 2006, 17:33

We're arriving 1 July for our first holiday on Symi. Can't wait - we're really looking forward to it. I've been checking the website daily for months! As we've just had a lovely weekend weatherwise here in the UK we wasted no time in trying out new holiday clothes and practising our basic Greek phrases, not too popular at the local brass band contest on Whit Friday though. I should be word perfect in "get me another drink darling" by the time we arrive.
lindy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

12 days to go!!

Postby Joanie » 15 Jun 2006, 16:24

lindy, i am going in oct and i,m like you can,t wait .Went for the first time last year,loved it.I,ve been to a lot of Greek islands and they are all nice but Symi has something special.Have a good time Joanie

BJBrown
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

12 days to go!!

Postby Ian » 12 Jul 2006, 13:43

7 days gone now! Hot but great as usual-wish I were going back soon, maybe in Sept/Oct when its cooler for walking. Just getting acclimatised back to cooler UK temperatures. Would like to go back before it all gets covered in tarmac- I see they have almost bulldozed a road through to Toli and that the surveyors were out at Drakountas, measuring up for the Symi M25. Hate to think what the Vasilios road will look like. I am no expert in tourism but this could have a negative effect on the island, since many people go for the unspoilt atmosphere and remote beaches. I'm sure that an environmental impact assessment will have been undertaken commensurate with EU law. Perhaps they should look at encouraging winter walking, and extending the season, rather than encouraging more cars, traffic etc.
Ian
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

12 days to go!!

Postby Adriana » 12 Jul 2006, 14:04

Hi Ian,

I don't know if you are a subscriber but we've got some quite interesting authoritative feedback on this coming up in the August Symi Visitor.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

12 days to go!!

Postby Ian » 13 Jul 2006, 14:13

Hi,Adriana,
Yes I am a subscriber,and will look forward to the official info in the August SV. I guess that they will still be at feasibility stage at the moment,and funding will depend on this. Shame that the kaldirimi cannot be funded for restoration: the newish footpath at the top of the Chorio-Ag Paraskevi-Xisos path and those down to the
rocks past Nos are relatively good improvements whereas the concrete road to Ag Georgos Drakountas is less aestheticically pleasing, if more accessible, than the old surface.
Ian
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

12 days to go!!

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 13 Jul 2006, 14:27

I think of that old 60s song "Tar and Cement".
I hope the God of Tourism doesn't let it happen to Symi.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Return to Noticeboard