Greetings from Athens

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Greetings from Athens

Postby Kon » 15 Jul 2006, 19:08

Hello everyone well finally in Greece we are in Athens today and making our way down to the Islands tommorow ,well first impressions is that Greeceis Beautiful and cheaper than we thought ,cant wait for Symi hope all are well see you soon .Kon
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Sheila and Andrew » 16 Jul 2006, 01:18

Kon,

Hope you have a wonderful trip with your family :) Look forward to hearing all about it!
Sheila and Andrew

Greetings from Athens

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 16 Jul 2006, 04:27

You sort of sneaked out of Oz on me, Kon. I didn't get a chance to wish you well on the 2 month holiday.
Hope you all have a great time, hassel free and without problems.
Keep your little blogs going whenever you get a chance.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Kon » 18 Jul 2006, 17:21

Hello from Mykonos ,this place is beautiful the people are great and freindly ,it has been a bit windy but thats normal apparently this time of the year ,the night walks through the winding streets with the bars and shops are fantastic.My son loves the place and knows his favourite shops already ,icecream,toys and any shop that has nice women selling watches.Tommorow we leave for Rhodes to meet with the relos and to work our way to Symi.see you soon. Kon
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Kon » 24 Jul 2006, 10:37

Hello from Rhodes ,well its been a week here in Rhodes and everthing is great meeting alot of the relos and going to lots of places ,went to the harbour the other day to get info on some boats leaving for Symi on 1st of August and found the Illion was the best apparently the Symi 2 is not moving due to the lack of passengers.The weather has been fantastic and the Greeks in general have been very helpful.If any body is thinking of doing a trip from Athens to Dodecanse islands do your self a favour and cruise with the Blue star 2 it was one of the best experiences so far ,can't wait for Monday as we arrive to Symi .See you soon.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby SueO » 24 Jul 2006, 16:32

Hi Kon. Glad you're enjoying your Greek trip. Due to time restraints we've never managed the cruise from Athens but have always wanted to try it. Perhaps one day!

Have a great time in Symi. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Sue
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 01 Aug 2006, 07:17

Hi Kon, When you read this you will probably be on the harbour in Symi, slurping on a cold Mythos...lucky you ;)
Kon, I'd advise you not to try to bring back any Symi honey (sic)its a huge no-no at the airports. It even has its own section in the prohibited section, ie its not grouped with other no-no's, it stands alone.
The blurb says we have the purest and disease free honey in the world and want to keep it that way. Theres a little - called a "European Foul Moth" that plays havoc with the pollen. :(
No worries, you'd probably get equally good honey in Woolies.. :D
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Kon » 02 Aug 2006, 23:37

Hello from Symi ,I've been here for two days so far and the place as you all know is majestic ,Geoff i agree with you i will not risk it for a simple jar of honey ,so far we have walked around the place quite a bit ,i have met also with Adriana,Nikos and Wendy and also met Mike Gadd as well and they are all terrific people ,last night we climbed up the kali stata and met with my uncle Nickiforo and we had some drinks ,did the same today ,we had a swim today at Saint Nicholas beach and it was beautiful ,at the momment i'm in the internet cafe and its about 12.30am we are having a few drinks before we go to our hotel .We are staying at hotel Nireus and the place is fantastic with breath taking views ,my little one loves Symi and is getting the locals to remember him with his cheeky charm ,he also drve Nickos and Wendy and Adriana crazy at Symi Visitor .Well the place is alive with tourists the boats dont stop comming and going Symi festival is great with the music and dancing,down at yialos i can see why everyone is worried about all the traffic it does tend to get a bit hairy sometimes .The taverns and bars are a buzz anywhere you go the smell off food draws you to them ,well i think i have mentioned everything going for a midnight walk now with no mother and child and cammeras.speak to you all soon ,good night from Symi.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 03 Aug 2006, 15:12

Good evening from Perth, Kon and Family.
I knew you would love Symi, Kon, its just "got it" hasn't it?
You are staying at a great hotel and as you say, the views are magnificent. See if you can drag yourself up before dawn and watch a sunrise..I've seen it...on my way home when I was young and stupid :(
I'm sure the crew at Symi Visitor are super folk and doesn't Mike do a fabulous job...and his deputy Alan? Hats off to them.
Kon, if you are there for another day or so, can you do me a favour? I have not heard from my friends at The Glafkos for so long. I've sent them Xmas cards and for the first time in nearly 20 years, no reply. Mrs Mastoridis (Anna) is almost always there. You can't miss it, opposite the Town Hall, next to Daphne Restaurant. I'd really appreciate it.
In the meantime, enjoy your stay. I'll bet you'll go home 7 try to squeeze a few more cuts in a day to fund your next trip.
What are you going to do to fill in the rest of your long holiday...lucky -. you 8-)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Kon » 04 Aug 2006, 13:27

Hello once again from Symi ,well we have been very busy trying to do so many things ,although i stated differently that i would try to avoid relos we have been seeing each other on regular basis.Geoff i went earlier today and saw Anna Mastoridis and she was glad to here from you she apologises that she has not responded to your mail but she has had a bit of bad luck and she finds it hard to get to the post office with the walking frame.She fell down and injured her knee .Her daughter lives in Rhodes so theres not much she can do but stay indoors.She could not stop mentioning what a nice fellow you are ,last night i bumped into your old mate Hugo and asked him for directions to Annas house,when i left her house she gave me some (kulooria) and two soft drink ,she a lovely lady Geoff and she wants to see you next year when or if you can come.Well this morning it was rise and shine at 7 am to catch the bus for Panormitis ,getting to the bus stop i noticed this chugger chugger red and white bus and thought that can not be it ,i also had to meet my uncle there so no escape.We got to Panormitis well enough ,but on the way back we had a few dramas with passerngers a few too many and the bus struggled to go on some steep hills so he stopped and some got out and walked a few meters until he got the bus there there were a few issues with some Greek tourists who thought that it was there right to get first prference on the bus seating wrrrong not with me .Any way we made back and we are now at the Napoli restaraunt eating later we are going to the beach and cool off.By the way Agia Marina is a beautiful beach ,thats where we spent most of the day yesterday .Gia sas for now.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Allan » 04 Aug 2006, 15:01

Kon

Have you found Little Aussie Mike yet? I know he was looking forward to meeting his (almost) next-door neighbour from Melbourne.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Greetings from Athens

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 05 Aug 2006, 04:27

Yeah, Allan, I wondered what happened to him. Its seems he just disappeared..I wonder where to?
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 05 Aug 2006, 04:34

Thank you so much, Kon. I was becoming quite worried about Anna and the family. Yes, Irini does live in Rhodes but she used to spend a lot of time on Symi running a gift shop near the newsagent. Maybe they sold it.
If you have time could you ask Anna if I come to Symi next year, is my dormatio #6 still available for me? If I go next year it will be 21 years since I first stayed at The Glafkos :)
Give her my love if you see her again plus a big hug because as you say, she is a lovely lady.
Thanks again, mate :)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Allan » 05 Aug 2006, 10:38

[quote="Ozzie Geoff"]

Yeah, Allan, I wondered what happened to him. Its seems he just disappeared..I wonder where to?
[/quote] is a bit busy these days OG. The poor lad dashes around like a mad 'un even when it's quiet so I dread to think what his job is like in July and August.

Incidentally, I notice this board has a member called "Aussiegurl", also from Melbourne. Is this some sort of antipodean takeover or what? :o
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Greetings from Athens

Postby Kon » 05 Aug 2006, 17:24

Hi Allan i met with Assie Mike this morning and his fine ,he has been very busy and i think he has a bit of trouble registering on anyway just got back from Agia Marina and we had a ball ,last night we had dinner at the Nireus and went to sleep early because little Alexander was a bnit tired.Has any body met Manos at that fish restaraunt my advise is if you want to eat fish try somewhere else ,the guy is a bit of a pick and choose at his place we tried to get a mill and he told us he was booked then a group of 4 people came after us while i was reading the menu and i over heard them sayng should we eat here and he came out like a pirana and gave them a table,oh well my little one wanted pasta anyway ,the days are ending and i miss this place already even though i haven't left yet ,my wife has gone for a massage at Jodis and we are going for a drink and crepes ,good day to all.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby benedetti » 06 Aug 2006, 16:06

Hi Kon, I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. Let me know how your wife gets on with her massage. I quite fancy trying that instead of a run up the Kalistrata like Wee Jimmy.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby SamanthaF » 07 Aug 2006, 04:14

Kon - have a fabulous stay - I'm so jealous.

I'm enjoying your posts. Thank you.
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Kon » 13 Aug 2006, 18:37

Hello from Santorini ,well the days are getting quicker and quicker to the end of our trip ,we are currently in Santorini ,its a nice place but its not Symi to tell you the truth its a bit boring well my trip in Symi was everithig i expected it to be and more there are lots of people i would like to thank for their kindnes and patience with Alexander ,if you go to Symi make sure you drop in and ask the guys all the qustions you need to know about your stay there,also for Adriana sory i did not say goodbuy to you we left when you were out of the office.Anyway we have seen the sunset twice so far quite amazing it is .Must go now this was a short hello will try again from crete ,cheers everyone.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Adriana » 14 Aug 2006, 12:38

Hi Kon, sorry to have missed you but never mind, there's always next time!

It was good to meet you. We always like to put faces to the names!

Hope that the rest of your travels are safe and uneventful and that we see you again soon. 8-)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Greetings from Athens

Postby Kon » 20 Aug 2006, 17:51

Hello from Hania crete ,as you all know the weather is very hot 40-42 now but we love it well we are in Hania which i think is the better part of crete although i have had a few run ins with taxis the first involving the police but never mind ,well i went to a beach called Agia Marina today and it was far from as good as Agia Marina Symi I'm in the port area now having coffee then i pick up my wife and son who dosed off after their swim and go for a walk ,tommorow we head for a spot called the Stavro in Hania thats our favourite spot and beach in Crete.Well i hope you are all well write soon.Kon.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Next

Return to Noticeboard