ANES RACIST

Ask questions about the island of Symi

ANES RACIST

Postby Olive » 14 Nov 2006, 16:07

ANES web site http://www.anes.gr/ferries_book_online.php states
30 % Discounts apply to Greek Citizens only - See Greek Pages for details.

Forget Symi - I�ll go somewhere where I am considered equal.
Olive
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

ANES RACIST

Postby Allan » 14 Nov 2006, 16:31

The section on the Greek page for the 30% discount translates as:-

Marine Pension Fund, POLYTEKNOJ, MILITARY, students, etc

Which doesn't sound quite as bad.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

ANES RACIST

Postby Andy W » 14 Nov 2006, 17:19

I think most or all of the categories for discounts are government requirements on all ferry operators in Greece, imposed as conditions on their operating licences. The ferry companies' trade association has been campaigning to have such conditions removed, as they point out that in other countries where reduced fares are offered as a matter of social policy the cost comes out of taxation.
I certainly wouldn't accuse ANES of racism over this - they have very little choice in the matter.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

ANES RACIST

Postby Allan » 14 Nov 2006, 17:32

I agree Andy that "racism" is a bit strong but I do wonder if limiting anything to Greek citizens only is allowed under EU rules?

Perhaps the reasoning is that the subsidy (if that's what it is) comes from the Greek taxpayer so it's reasonable to limit the benefit to Greek citizens?

For a giggle, I've just emailed my MEP to ask. I don't for one minute expect a reply since she's probably out at lunch until Easter but we'll see. 8-)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

ANES RACIST

Postby Olive » 15 Nov 2006, 14:36

[quote="Allan"]

I do wonder if limiting anything to Greek citizens only is allowed under EU rules?[/quote]

The word racist was a bit strong and my apology if I offended anyone.

However not all Greek tax payers are Greek Citizens.
Some non Greek citizens are also students, or have other c

Non Greek tax payers are still paying VAT on almost everything they buy... ... ...
and Airport tax @ 30% of the total ticket price, don't even get me started on that one!

Olive
Olive
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

ANES RACIST

Postby Dave » 15 Nov 2006, 23:21

Ain't life a bitch ? Unfair taxes on air fares. Just as a matter of interest, have you studied the UK set-up , Olive? :D
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

ANES RACIST

Postby Kon » 16 Nov 2006, 01:39

HMMMMM don't get me started on ticket taxes we paid per ticket $450AU tax to fly to Greece ,its called the John Howard i'm jealous your going on a holiday tax. :(
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

ANES RACIST

Postby Allan » 02 Dec 2006, 19:48

Now here's a thing...

I got a reply from my MEP!

Actually, the reply came from my other MEP since they've divided up their patch between them and I live at the wrong side of the M62, apparently.

By a huge coincidence he had asked the Commission about this very subject back in December 2005 and.... wait for it.... had just received a reply!

A mere 11.5 months - who said the EC bureaucracy was slow :!:

He sent me a copy of the letter from one Jacques Barrot, Vice President of transport at the Commission and if I'm translating the Eurobabble correctly he's saying that discrimination on grounds of nationality is wrong but the legislation doesn't cover transport, except aviation, so they can't do anything about it. :evil:

However, the last paragraph of Eurotosh reads:-

"I am nevertheless not satisfied by this status quo and I asked the Commission services to carry out an in depth analysis of this situation in order to identify the precise legal situation and the best way to address this question."

Don't hold your breath Olive!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Noticeboard