Symi Ferry Saga Goes National

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby Adriana » 31 Jan 2007, 07:40

Symi's Mayor, Lefteris Papakalodoukas, spoke live from Symi on state news channel NET in the prime breakfast TV slot immediately before the 8 a.m news headlines today. His appeal for a proper ferry schedule connecting Symi with Pireaus was met sympathetically by the studio team and the discussion continued into the second half of the program. :D :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 31 Jan 2007, 10:10

Thanks for reporting the news so promptly Adriana - just 40 minutes after the event - now that's service! :D

Lets hope the national exposure has the desired effect.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Adriana » 31 Jan 2007, 10:34

It would have been quicker if we had a telephone line at the farm!

;)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 31 Jan 2007, 10:42

You watched the programme at home and posted from the office? Wow - take it easy Adriana, you'll break your neck sprinting down the lazy steps at that speed!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Adriana » 31 Jan 2007, 10:51

Downhill is fine... :P

It's uphill that's the problem! :oops:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Tove » 31 Jan 2007, 11:27

I think you should really think of that donkey again :) , I'm sure you could rent it out to all of us with the step problems :?:
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Mille » 31 Jan 2007, 11:29

Walking on stairs should be one of the best ways to keep fit!! ;)
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kon » 31 Jan 2007, 11:48

The Mayor of Symi is known according to my uncle Nickiforo to get things done for the Island,when i traveled from Pireaus to Rhodes we traveled with the Blue Star 2 and i will tell you it was an fantastic trip great service :) ,yes i think maybe it is a bit big but hey it did stop at Kalymnos too and what about the Vodafone fast ferries they were fantastic too(made down under by the way)they are huge vessels and the speed that they do ,i can't understand what is the reason they don't cover the dodecanesce islands. :?: Maybe its time for the Mayor to talk to the Government about a new docking harbour for large ferries in Symi. :?: Adriana i agree with Tove get a fuel eficient donkey 8-) the only way to travel. :)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Tove » 31 Jan 2007, 14:07

Mille I don't have troubles getting fit on Symi. I normally loose 1-2 kilos when I'm there :oops: . I always have to organize my shoppings at the supermarket so I don't have to carry too much. That means 1-2 visit a day in 40 C. :o That means a lot of this :geek: afterwards. Besides I like donkeys :mrgreen:
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Mille » 31 Jan 2007, 14:08

[quote="Tove"]

I normally lose 1-2 kilos when I'm there :oops: . [/quote]

I wish I could :idea: : I always put on weight on Symi - usually rather more than 1-2 kilos, and that despite a lot of walking up from Yial�s to Hori�. The problem, of course, is the beer and the food. :? :geek: :?
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mille » 01 Feb 2007, 08:52

Anthony, it's not the food and the beer. It's musclemass increase!!
Everybody knows that muscles are heavier than fatt, right??! :o
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Anthony » 01 Feb 2007, 22:59

Mille, thanks for those kind words of encouragement - but I'm afraid it's just not true. Unless of course I'm the first person to put on muscle around the waist, which is flabby rather than functional! [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad/sad0024.gif[/img]
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Adriana » 02 Feb 2007, 13:05

Anyone using this thread as an indicator of chat page users' interest in the Symi ferry service in mid-winter would wonder at the speed with which we moved from shipping problems through donkeys to food! :D :P
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Allan » 02 Feb 2007, 14:22

Any news about the ferry service Adriana? ;)
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Adriana » 02 Feb 2007, 15:52

Nichts Neues am Westen...

in other words, no new developments.

ANES is distributing photocopies of the February schedule, the town hall is still open and functioning, despite rumours to the contrary, and the shipping agents all say that they are 'awaiting a decision from the ministry'.

The Blue Star idea is nice in principle but difficult to implement, given the nature of Symi's harbour and the problems with cross winds, even in the summer. Until the new commercial jetty is built at the fuel station, which will also be a tricky berth but at least there's more sea room over there, really big boats are always going to find Symi a difficult place to dock safely. Now that it is a free market and the shipping companies are not obliged to provide a service by law, it is the bottom line that counts, not the needs of the islanders. :(

When we get some definite answers we'll let you know. ;)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby MacDuff » 03 Feb 2007, 05:30

I thought that the extra layer around the waist was our equivalent of the hump on the camel. Kon ought to be an expert on that, 'cos I understand that the Aussies have lots of camels.But, I don't like the sound of having new docking facilities. Might shatter the peace and tranquility.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kojak » 03 Feb 2007, 08:25

If/when the proposed new docking facilities are built, all the heavy lorries etc. and most of the cars and vans will no longer have to trundle through Yialos. That should add to the peace and tranquillity. :D :D :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kon » 03 Feb 2007, 11:14

[quote="MacDuff"]

I thought that the extra layer around the waist was our equivalent of the hump on the camel. Kon ought to be an expert on that, 'cos I understand that the Aussies have lots of camels.But, I don't like the sound of having new docking facilities. Might shatter the peace and tranquility.
[/quote]Sorry Macduff can't help with camels :? but if you want to know about Kangaroos or Koalas etc no probs :)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Adriana » 03 Feb 2007, 14:31

Building a new jetty for big boats has been on the agenda for about as long as the desalination plant... :idea:

When the last harbour widening was done, at the bus stop, a few years ago, the plan was to extend the widening of the quay as far as the fuel station so that the big boats discharging lorries, building materials and the like would not be clogging up the harbour. This is actually quite a major project, involving lots of money and bureaucracy. In the meantime there has been more residential development in the area which may create objections to the project.
:o
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard