Ag. Vasilos road?

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Ag. Vasilos road?

Postby Ange » 23 May 2007, 23:28

I was just wondering about the plans to build the road to the beach there, what was mentioned last year by the Symi visitor.

Are the plans still going ahead? I haven't heard anything this year and hope its been abandoned.

My partner and I have done this walk to the beach on each of our Symi visits, we both hope its going to remain as it is now.

Ange
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Ag. Vasilos road?

Postby SueO » 27 May 2007, 16:11

Hi Ange. I doubt very much if these plans will come to fruition any time soon (or ever?) I'm sure the Town Council has enough on it's plate trying to cope with the existing traffic problems to do more than talk about this sort of project.

You're right - it's a lovely walk and it would be a great pity to see another path lost. That said, as the years go by and the knee joints get creakier, I might vote for a decent jetty at the beach to make access from the sea easier.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Ag. Vasilos road?

Postby Graham » 01 Jun 2007, 11:25

Hi,

We did this walk last week and there isn't a road, yet. However the walk we were following mentioned a dirt track to a gate where you take the path down on the left into the gorge, with a sign to Saint Vasilios. This track is now all concrete up to the gate.

Also on the other side of the gorge there was evidence of recent bulldozing of a track, but this just stopped dead above the sheer drop.
Graham
Starting Visitor

Ag. Vasilos road?

Postby SueO » 01 Jun 2007, 18:23

Thanks for the update Graham. Maybe I spoke to soon :oops:

I think the concrete you mention has been there for a while but I wasn't aware of the bulldozing. Still, if the new track is on the other side of the gorge at least it won't destroy the existing path. :D
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Ag. Vasilos road?

Postby Ange » 05 Jun 2007, 22:54

Thanks for the update.

Last year the path was concreted up to the gate, I remember that. Just past the last houses, before you start to drop down.

Its an easy walk getting down to the beach, but getting up is a killer! Never do it in Midsummer like we did the first year we went. :( We sat at the first bit of shade after the climb up which seemed to be the home of horse flies what didn't want to share! :o

Ange
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Ag. Vasilos road?

Postby Jerry » 06 Jun 2007, 10:52

Last year when we did this walk we started out at 7.00 in the morning arriving at the final climb down to the beach as the sun was starting to hit the far end of the beach. Sat on the big rock until the Sun bathed the whole beach with it's warm (Hot) rays. A long lazy swim then the climb back up, Vanessa finds the last steep climb best taken on her rear end!!, I just puff and pant both ways. Again last year we did not see anyone else until we got back to the concrete part of the path, apart from goats of course. The advantage of an early start is arriving back at the Chorio in time for lunch at Lefteris's and 1-2-3-?? ice cold beers. Roll on 15 July when we land back on Symi, counting down the days.
Jerry
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Noticeboard