Wind and Ferries?

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Wind and Ferries?

Postby SueO » 15 Sep 2014, 08:31

Just been checking the weather for our imminent arrival on Wednesday and it looks good but a bit windy. We have tickets booked on the 19.00 Dodecanese ferry and are hoping that winds will not prevent sailing. Can anyone (Andy??) tell me what sort of speeds/direction are likely to interfere with the schedule? I've tried a search for "wind" (mmm enough said) and "ferries" of course brings up half the posts on the forum! Pretty sure that Adriana has posted about this in the past as well but.....
A night on Rhodes won't be a disaster of course but really longing to be back on THE island so I'm hoping that what I see as windy is really only a bit of a breeze to the port authorities.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Wind and Ferries?

Postby Andy W » 15 Sep 2014, 13:26

Unless the forecast gets above 50km/h you're unlikely to have any schedule issues. Between 50-60km/h it does start depending on wind direction. Adriana will be better able to explain which directions cause problems at Rhodes. Above 60km/h the Port Police may ban sailings by the catamarans, and above 74km/h even the Blue Star may not sail.
None of the forecasts I can see suggest you'll have any problems, but as you know, they are always subject to change.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Wind and Ferries?

Postby SueO » 15 Sep 2014, 14:59

Thanks Andy. I knew you'd have the information I needed. As always at this time of year we're prepared for anything weatherwise but really had no idea what constituted a "strong wind". Not long to go now and, as the sun seems to have deserted us here in North Yorkshire, whatever the weather's like it's bound to be warmer than here.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Wind and Ferries?

Postby Allan » 15 Sep 2014, 17:52

The sun may have deserted north Yorkshire Sue, but it is still shining strongly here on Symi. And there is no wind to speak of.

Safe journey.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Wind and Ferries?

Postby SueO » 16 Sep 2014, 08:33

Thanks Allan.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Wind and Ferries?

Postby Gemma1 » 16 Sep 2014, 09:12

Glad to hear the weather should be ok for tomorrow night's crossing. As I'm leaving Leeds on the 2335 train for Manchester Airport to check in for my early morning flight I'd be very disappointed not to get to Symi the same day - though Rhodes is definitely better than Leeds ;)
Gemma1
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Wind and Ferries?

Postby Katerina » 16 Sep 2014, 12:32

We'll be there too for the 06:50 from Manchester. Glad to hear there's no problem at the moment. We've not travelled to Symi this late in the year before, but I know it'll still be wonderful.
Enjoy your holiday.
Katerina
Starting Visitor

Wind and Ferries?

Postby Val » 16 Sep 2014, 22:34

Have a great time Gemma. Look forward to reading your report. Enjoy your walks and your cakes. 8-)
Val
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Noticeboard