first time to symi

Ask questions about the island of Symi

first time to symi

Postby GIPEPE » 25 Jun 2007, 22:36

Hi Im visiting Symi for my first time in September, cant wait im sure it will be nice and quiet.I just love visiting Greek Islands away from the normal British tourist.
a couple of questions I hope somebody can help.

1) has any of the hotels/apartments got swimming pools?

2) can you hire Quad bikes?

and 3) does any of the Tavernas show English Football?
GIPEPE
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

first time to symi

Postby Kojak » 25 Jun 2007, 23:19

1) No - this is a quiet Greek island away from the normal British tourist, no high rise hotels, no swimming pools but excellent sea bathing

2) No - why would you want these on a very quiet Greek island away from the normal British tourist?

3) One or two may have the odd football match on - but remember, this is a quiet Greek island away from the normal British tourist.

4) Can I suggest Zakynthos? It has all of the above in almost every bar/hotel and there are thousands of quad bikes!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

first time to symi

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 26 Jun 2007, 07:32

Beautiful, Norman, bloody beautiful.. :D
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

first time to symi

Postby Adriana » 26 Jun 2007, 08:23

Oy, you two, :?

Perhaps Gipepe was just making sure that none of these was available.

Actually there are a few quad bikes on the island, Gipepe - the most eye catching being the one driven (?) by one of the priests. :D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

first time to symi

Postby Richard » 26 Jun 2007, 11:10

You may well have noticed an interesting point about Geoff's post. Whilst all other contributors are ranked as varying degrees of visitor, OG is ranked as an Ozzie Geoff. Does this mean that there is only one Ozzie Geoff? ... erm ...

Enjoy your holiday in Broome, Geoff.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

first time to symi

Postby Adriana » 26 Jun 2007, 14:11

A class of his own... :P
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

first time to symi

Postby Allan » 26 Jun 2007, 14:16

I hope so Adriana!

I'm worried that after a few more posts I might become an Ozzy Geoff too. It's a scary thought. :o
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

first time to symi

Postby GIPEPE » 26 Jun 2007, 15:34

thanks for the interesting replies. :D

I didn't think id find a swimming pool, but I thought the same when I visited Andros and came across 1 swimming pool.

I would prefer to hire a quad bike as its easier and safer than having 2 people on a scooter to explore the island.

I do like to keep in touch with the footy scores when I'm on Holidays but im sure I can cope for 2 weeks without football.

I have been to Zakynthos, and will never return as its like a warm Blackpool without the tower, very similar to Corfu.
thats why we are coming to Symi to get away from everything for 2 weeks :(
GIPEPE
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

first time to symi

Postby Kon » 26 Jun 2007, 15:42

Firstly welcome to the forum GIPEPE ,mate as for football scores your in the right country for it the greeks live and breath football so i dont think you will have a problem there ,cruise the island slow there is lots to see especialy the beaches.Have a great time. :geek:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

first time to symi

Postby Adriana » 26 Jun 2007, 18:39

On the subject of bikes, you can hire a 50 cc with just a car drivers' license but for bigger bikes you actually have to have a proper bike license.

:)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

first time to symi

Postby lindy » 26 Jun 2007, 18:50

we visited symi for the first time last year and visited julie's bar at pedi nearly every day. paul and julie are very friendly and as they hail from manchester (questionably the home of british football), i am sure they will keep you abreast of proceedings. they had a big screen for the world cup last year - don't know if it's still there though.

you will love symi - we did. probably back next year.
lindy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

first time to symi

Postby Tove » 26 Jun 2007, 21:52

Well, I have no idea of what a quad bike is (tandem maybe? I'm Danish)but I do know that in September Symi is a good place for walking and the busses can take you far enough to have a good walk home. There's a lot of possibilities to get around if you just ask around on this site and when you are on Symi everybody will have good ideas for you. Just go for it 8-)
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

first time to symi

Postby maziemoo » 28 Jun 2007, 16:42

Hi Gipepe....welcome.

Trust me Symi is beautiful...you will love it.

Easy walks to the next bays or taxi boats to those not accessible by foot can make the need for swimming pools unnecessary and pretty much the same might be said for quad bikes though I appreciate you may have a different requirement for your holiday especially if you want to see some of the places not on the tourist trip routes.

Yep football is screened in some of the bars. The Rainbow Bar up the Kalistrata always seems to be showing something in the way of sport though mainly football plus you also have the benefit of being able to mix with the locals and it would seem a lot of regular visitors to the island congregate there as well so it's a fantastic social point.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

first time to symi

Postby MacDuff » 03 Jul 2007, 04:59

Hi Gipepe. You may find it more rewarding to use the bus(es) and taxis. The big advantage being that you can then walk back DOWN from higher points on the island. Get a copy of the walking guide from Adriana - she wot lives over the snakes :o
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Noticeboard