Two questions for the recently returned

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby Jan » 20 Aug 2007, 10:52

Could I tap in, please, to the experiences of those of you who have travelled from Gatwick to Symi this summer?

(a) Our flight is timed to depart 0945 and I'm not known for my enthusiasm for abiding even by a check-in of 2 hours in advance. The tickets have just arrived ( :D ) - and suggest *3* hours check-in ( :o We had a long wait to get though security in June so grudgingly I was planning on 2-ish hours - have others had to queue for longer?

(b) it's been our habit to bring back in our hand luggage ouzo from the barrel in plastic water bottles. Of course that's now disallowed under anti-terrorism regulations - but again, in June security was so lax I don't think it would have been a problem. Has anyone tried it? Am not sure I fancy the prospect of giving my main luggage an ouzo pre-wash.

Only 16 days to go...
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Mille » 20 Aug 2007, 11:08

My sister in law just returned from Mallorca and had to say bye bye to a perfume, she had in her hand bag :evil:

My guess is, it would be wisest to avoid ANYTHING that doesnt fit into those little plastic bags.

Even the Ouzo!

(- the few times I've brought ouzo or Metaxa back from Greece, I've carefully wrapped it in plasticbags and clothes. I've even brought Greek yoghurt home that way :o )
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tove » 20 Aug 2007, 12:33

In the security in Rhodes and Athens you are kindly asked to throw away your water bottles - or drink it all :geek: . I would take Mille's suggestion - sounds more healthy :oops:
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kon » 20 Aug 2007, 13:12

[quote="Mille"]

My sister in law just returned from Mallorca and had to say bye bye to a perfume, she had in her hand bag :evil:

My guess is, it would be wisest to avoid ANYTHING that doesnt fit into those little plastic bags.

Even the Ouzo!

(- the few times I've brought ouzo or Metaxa back from Greece, I've carefully wrapped it in plasticbags and clothes. I've even brought Greek yoghurt home that way :o )
[/quote]
Greek Yogurt :o :o :o dont tell me you still ate it ???
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Richard » 20 Aug 2007, 13:30

I prefer Tove's suggestion about the ouzo: Drink it all. This would make the flight home more bearable.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 20 Aug 2007, 13:40

Jan - that's what dirty holiday clothing is for - wrapping souvenirs up! As above, if there's any doubt, pack it in your hold baggage or be prepared to lose it. Much of the delay in security is caused by people turning up at the airport with banned items in their hand baggage. There was an article in the Daily Express on Saturday where Judy Finnigan was moaning because she had to ditch moisteriser etc. She even whined that the security staff recogised her and therefore knew she wasn't a terrorist. I really don't have any sympathy for the stupid woman. The regulations are perfectly clear about what you can or can't take and there are no exceptions for celebrities. My brother recently flew from Southampton to Newcastle for a family funeral. He too was complaining about losing his shaving foam. I did ask the rather pointed question - did he really have to shave on the hour long flight?
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Jan » 20 Aug 2007, 15:03

Thanks, all. Particular thanks to Tove for Rhodes-specific info, which is just what I needed to know. Ouzo pre-wash it is.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 20 Aug 2007, 15:13

Take notice of Uncle Norman, Jan, he knows what he's talking about. :)
Even before these wretched laws came it I'd bring back litres of barrel ouzo in plastic bottles wrapped in my beach towel and any other garment that padded it well. It always arrived OK, even the customs man did not get it :o
Even if he had have, it was worth the risk...even I could not drink 4 or 5 litres of Ouzo standing in an airport at 2-3am after a flight from Europe. :geek:

Surprised about your brother, Kojak. there are no restrictions here on domestic flights. I recently took 5 litres of grappa to Broome in hand luggage. :idea: 8-)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Kojak » 20 Aug 2007, 15:46

One of the advantages of being a well-dressed man about Yialos is that socks are very useful for wrapping around small items - I wouldn't use them for anything edible though :o . UK domestic flights are also subject to strict security measures as regards the carrying of sharp objects and liquids. A sign of the times unfortunately.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 20 Aug 2007, 16:49

Hi Jan

Before any flight I usually go on to the BAA Gatwick official airport website to get the most up to date information relating to travel. Everything you need to know is there and is obviously updated according to the security level in place at any given time.

I think 3 hours pre-flight is pretty much the norm these days for short-haul with possible 4 hours for long-haul.

Generally I've found it quite smooth going and as has been mentioned by Kojak, the delays are usually caused by folks trying to take things through that aren't allowed...perhaps they could have saved themselves a lot of hassle had they bothered to check beforehand or perhaps it's that some folk can't resist trying to buck the system.

Annoying as it can be, ultimately these laws have been brought in for our safety and clearly there was a link to fluids in terms of any previous security alerts, so I guess it's a case of grinning and bearing it.

I pack bottles into my luggage with carrier bags around them and so far..touch wood..I haven't had any problems. Never tried Mille's yoghurt trick though!
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 20 Aug 2007, 16:52

:oops: :oops: All small items Kojak :oops: :oops: ?

[quote]Originally posted by Kojak

One of the advantages of being a well-dressed man about Yialos is that socks are very useful for wrapping around small items
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Joanie » 20 Aug 2007, 19:35

err ehmmmm, wonder what that could be Mazie :o :o :o :o
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kojak » 20 Aug 2007, 20:04

That, of course, depends on the size of the sock! :P
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Oor Willie » 20 Aug 2007, 22:01

Hi Jan, I agree with Kojak and Mazie we have been packing bottles of booze both glass and plastic in our cases for years, wrapped in dirty t shirts and carrier bags, and so far so good, the only problem is weight a litre of fluid weighs about a Kilo plus the weight of the bottle, up to last year I never had any problems as the Greeks did not seem overly bothered if your case was a couple of Kg's overweight but last Sept. coming back from Zante we were hit with a 50 euro charge for being a total of 5Kg overweight spread over 2 cases and 2 items of hand luggage so beware.

ps, coming back from Symi in June they were letting no fluids through the check in hand luggage but they did let us away with a couple of Kg's over in our cases.
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 21 Aug 2007, 09:30

Whilst we can take liquids on internal flights we have the same restrictions for sharp objects. :( A friend had to break off a tiny file on his nail clippers. :(
It always amuses me that in cattle class we get a plastic knife but a metal fork..I reckon a jab with a fork would be worse than a jab with those blunt knives. :evil:
Terrorists and other dangerous folk don't travel business or first class. There you get metal cutlery...even a serrated steak knife if you have a steak. Instead of plastic cups ...only the finest glassware up the sharp end. :geek:
Makes a mockery of it, doesn't it? :?:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Jan » 21 Aug 2007, 10:46

Thank you again, everyone. 99% of me is grateful that security is taken seriously in Greek airports (in the UK, of course, it's me who's tut-tutting as 'ignorant' people gum up the queues); the other 1% would like the blind eye to be turned where ouzo is concerned.

So it's an early start in 15 days time. It had better be worth it.

Jan
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Patk » 21 Aug 2007, 11:39

To save hassle, it may be easier to buy bottled ouzo at the duty free shop in Rhodes after security. That's what we plan to do.
Patk
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 21 Aug 2007, 12:06

I agree it does seem the most sensible solution Pat :) . Although I try to support the Symi traders where possible by buying from them :) .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Joanie » 21 Aug 2007, 13:19

Ive always put bottles in my case wrapped up in towels and clothes,they always got home in one piece :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby MrsMcS » 21 Aug 2007, 14:35

Findlay has been moaning the face of me since we got our tickets last week as our check in time is 3 and a half hours before the flight!! I understand fully the need for extra security, but think 3 and a half hours is a bit much. Means we need to check in no later than 3.00a.m for a 6.30 flight. Prebooking seats supposedly cuts down the check in time, so look in to that. Having said that did that last year, but was scared to leave it too late to check in and we still had to queue for what seemed like hours :(
MrsMcS
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Next

Return to Noticeboard