Holiday Price Increases

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Johnc » 27 Jan 2008, 03:43

Is it just me or have holiday prices seem to really gone up this year?

I have been shopping around but bargains are tricky to find :?:

Our best quote has been for �630 for 3 of us for one week to Halkidiki
Johnc
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Adriana » 27 Jan 2008, 11:43

I suspect what you are witnessing is the effect of a weak pound against the euro. Even a holiday company that is priced in sterling has to pay property owners and local expenses in euros. This time last year the euro was worth about 67 pence. Now it is more like 75 pence. :cry:

For this reason very few of the properties on our listings have raised their rates for 2008 and most are holding to 2007 rates. :D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby maziemoo » 27 Jan 2008, 11:44

As I understand it John, yes the prices have really rocketed. I struck lucky with my accommodation providers Kalodoukas Holidays :mrgreen: , because they're celebrating their 30th anniversay in business this year :D and so by way of thanking their customers, provided we booked this years holiday before Christmas 2007, we get the accommodation at 2007 prices :) . In reality I guess I'd still be willing to pay more if I had too because I love the island so much.

I'd heard somewhere that Northern Cyprus had also put up prices last season but that they had found they weren't getting the usual uptake :cry: . I suspect some of that may be because the flights can tend to be a bit of an issue :evil: so the two things together perhaps made it seem less of an attractive destination which is a pity because it's beautiful :mrgreen: .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby maziemoo » 27 Jan 2008, 13:15

There speaks a lady John who has a much better grasp :) on the situation re Symi prices than I do since Symi Visitor are able to offer and organise some excellent accommodation for prospective visitors to the island :) .

My understanding is that some of the travel companies had hiked their prices though.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Kojak » 27 Jan 2008, 13:28

I booked with Olympic very soon after I got back last year. By booking online you get a discount and also an early booking discount which almost wipes out the under occupancy supplement. The price was up compared to the year before but this was mostly due to the holiday dates being earlier than previous years.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Adriana » 27 Jan 2008, 15:29

Extra flight taxes and the increase in the cost of fuel will also have added their bit... :cry:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Richard » 27 Jan 2008, 15:32

And the �37.50 baggage overweight charge coming home made the Samos ouzo quite expensive.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby benedetti » 27 Jan 2008, 19:34

The �950 I have just paid for a family of six at CentreParks makes our Symi holiday seem a real bargain.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Dave » 27 Jan 2008, 20:51

Book your flight early with Easyjet to Athens, travel internally and pick up accommodation there !
Last year, early October, the likes of Kos, Kalymnos and similar places were completely dead - good for Gail and I but not for the tourist industry ! If the prices are that high, ignore them. If the quietness of last year is repeated and they are contracted for the accommodation, then deals will abound. - prices will plummet. (If they don't then cash flow and ccontants will tell them to sharpen their pencils !). Bite the bullet and wait a tadge as, using Easyjet and (interenally) Aegean Air, you'll walk those prices anyway !
It'snot like it's luxury accommodation - don't get me wrong, it's exactly what Gail and I want to escape the madding crowd - but there's only so much cost that that level will stand. Make 'em have it. :)
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby maziemoo » 28 Jan 2008, 20:53

With the exception of my BA/Easyjet flight in April, I've certainly noticed the cost of flights has gone up quite a bit :cry: .

[quote="Adriana"]

Extra flight taxes and the increase in the cost of fuel will also have added their bit... :cry:
[/quote]
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby SamanthaF » 29 Jan 2008, 17:12

Kosmar prices have gone through the roof, but I got a great bargain for June with Olympic. As Kojak says, book early and book online to get the best prices.
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby MrsMcS » 01 Feb 2008, 14:31

Just booked our hols for this year. As it is our silver wedding we decided to give Symi a miss this year and go somewhere different. However, with the huge hike in holiday prices all our plans were thwarted by the cost, so yes you've guessed it we are going to Greece! Not Symi though. Doing a wee bit of island hopping in the Cyclades. We are cheating a bit in that all the travel, transfers and accommodation has been organised for us and have gone a bit more upmarket on the accommodation, but Findlay and I are still reeling at how much it is costing. Never mind we only have one silver wedding and I think managing to stay married to Findlay for 25 years is quite a feat and should be handsomely rewarded!!
MrsMcS
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Ange » 13 Feb 2008, 23:23

Which Cyclades are you visiting, Mrs McS? You'll love it and Greece does draw you back every year!
We've gone island hopping in the Cyclades over the last couple of years. Although they are very different to Symi, a lot are very unspoilt and off the tourist trail. Some of them we love as much as Symi.
Congratulations on the Silver Wedding as well. :geek:
Ange
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Johnc » 14 Feb 2008, 06:45

Island hopping - sounds fun, enjoy your holiday
Johnc
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 14 Feb 2008, 14:41

Congrats to the McSporrans, you don't look old enough to have been married for 25 years. :) You must have been a child bride, Mrs. McS. ;)
Please put me out of my misery, send me a photo....not necessarily mounted, holding hands will do. :twisted: I don't often have complete memory loss but by golly that night in Sept. 2001 is zilch, khaput, zero, nothing. I do however, remember meeting you at Aris's and then again at Pachos...but a face or theme of conversation....sfa. :?:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 14 Feb 2008, 14:48

Johnc, where do you live, mate? Everything and I mean everything has gone thru the bloody roof.
Filled your car up lately? Bought a beer in the pub? Had a meal in a caff? Had a look at your insurance premiums? Had a tradesman home lately?
Sign of the times me boy, sign of the times. Things will only get worse..unless you put that lunatic Archbishop in the loony bin, along with his Australian compatriot....silly..oops, no, dangerous old c...., should be chucked in gaol... :?
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 14 Feb 2008, 14:51

Err, c.... is meant to be "coots"..just to claify things as some people have very untidy minds.. :twisted:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Joanie » 14 Feb 2008, 16:40

We all knew what you meant Geoff,we all have very tidy minds on here.Err! well most of us haha :) :) :)
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Anthony » 15 Feb 2008, 00:06

[quote="Ozzie Geoff"]

...that lunatic Archbishop..... :?
[/quote]

Ozzie, don't believe everything you read in the sensation-hungry media. Here's what his web-site claims he actually said (or :P perhaps what he now wishes he had said). [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/scared/scared0015.gif[/img]

http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/1581

But no doubt he was foolish to allow himself to be interviewed by the BBC on this potentially inflammatory topic :evil: - I somehow doubt that he's got the media savvy to choose his words with the necessary care and precision when he's up against a top media interviewer. Indeed, can anyone?
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Holiday Price Increases

Postby Dave » 15 Feb 2008, 00:14

It wasn't his lecture/speech that did for him ....... it was his performance on the radio interview prior to giving the speech/lecture and no amount of spin or excuse ( after the fact) will dig him out.

But anyway - many, many congratulations to the McSporrans - I love a silver wedding ( you get a whole new canteen of cutlery and a couple of good matching wine-glasses ( none of those freebies from the local garage where you only collect 5 and the offer ends before you get the sixt !!!!!!! 8-) :( :(
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Next

Return to Noticeboard