hiya does anyone on the site live on symi

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby sarah » 22 Apr 2008, 01:30

hiya im new to the forum and well im just wondering if there is anyone who lives on symi my dad has asked me to find some relatives who lived there they may still live there but i was wondering if anyone has any advice i just seem to keep hitting brick walls thanks for any help or advice anyone can give and thnx for your time in reading this
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kon » 22 Apr 2008, 01:37

Hi Sarah and welcome to the SV forum ,i would contact the Symi Visitor office and give the names you are looking for and perhaps they can find out for you ,or you can post them here and maybe one of us have heard of them or know someone who knows them. ;)
Good luck and i hope we can help. :)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby sarah » 22 Apr 2008, 01:47

thank you well im looking for dimitri drogondos please excuse spelling as im not sure but i definately know he was a policeman living in symi town we have old phone number but last time my father tryed it he got through but got a greek woman who didnt understand english he was married to a my dads cousin jean and well he just feels the need to get in contact with her kids as she died while they were young and well my dad was close to his cousin
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 22 Apr 2008, 04:09

Hi Sarah, I knew Jean well, what a kind, gentle woman she was.
The last I heard was that the children and I presume Dimitri were somewhere in Northern Greece. Remember that "the children" would now be adults and realistically could be anywhere.
I fear it would be an onerous task to seek them out.
Maybe...just maybe someone on Symi may still be in contact with Dimitri.
Perhaps a plea in the Greek section of Symi Visitor?
Good luck, Sarah. :)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Kojak » 22 Apr 2008, 10:20

I remember Jean and Dimitri well, also their two children Christos and Didi! The children were well looked after by various good friends who rallied round after Jean's sad death. Dimitris later moved back to northern Greece, taking the children with him, to be looked after by his family there. Christos did come over for a very brief visit a few years back when he was on a school trip to Rhodes. As Geoff says he is now a young man. I will contact a good friend of Jeans who still lives on Symi and ask her if she has any contact details. Please tell your father that Jean's grave on Symi is still tended by the people who knew her well. There is a funny story attached to that, and anyone who knew Jean would know that she would have found it funny. Friends ordered a marble headstone from Rhodes. somewhere along the line there was a mistranslation and when it arrived it turned out to be a full length, extremely heavy slab, much too heavy for the people who came to pick it up. It spent the next few days propped up in front of my friend's bar until sufficient men could be rounded up to move it! As Jean spent a lot of time with my friend it seemed very appropriate!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby sarah » 22 Apr 2008, 19:52

wow thank you so much for all your help oh and my dad is really pleased to hear from you who knew jean it really touched his heart and as for the search for dimitri we know his family was from thessalonika and i do have a friend who speaks greek to translate we know it could be a long shot getting in contact but its one of the things my dad has constantly thought of since we all lost contact when we moved home so i thought id help him so he doesnt have to wonder anymore plus he isnt very good with technology lol
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 22 Apr 2008, 22:51

Sarah - another tale about Jean. We were all having a drink in our usual bar. Dimitri was working and Jean joined us, bringing Christos along in his pushchair - the Greek way. Christos was fast asleep in the pushchair in the corner taking no harm whatsoever. After a while Jean left to go home. She'd just gone out of the door when we called her back and asked her if she'd forgotten anything - Christos! still in the corner!. We all laughed about that for years!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby sarah » 22 Apr 2008, 23:31

wow i grew up with storys of jean from my dad he lived five doors away and went to the same school and one thing he said to me was she was more like a sister to him and i know he talked about her being a real lady but your stories kind of fill the gap between where my dad stops because he wasnt there because she moved and her sad death but thank you so much we all appreciate u telling us what you remember
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 23 Apr 2008, 01:23

Sarah. Just had an email from my friend on Symi. The only contact point she has is through a Symi taxi driver called Thanassis who is in contact with Dimitris. The only number for Thanassis is 00 30 6946 568731 which is his mobile number. Thanassis speaks a little English but he's a very nice guy indeed and I'm sure he will help if he can. This is the email from my friend:-

"Dimitri is supposed to be coming this summer according to Thannassi the taxi driver who sees him every year in Grevena when he goes on holiday, he is now married. Christo is in the army but should finish soon and Di Di has just finished school. They are 21 and 18 now. Thannassis has a mobile number under taxi in the Symi Visitor. Maybe a phone call could give you a telephone number but when I saw Christo 3 years ago he had forgotton his English but Dimitri is still ok. I think thats all I know hope its helpful."

I'm sure the Symi Visitor office will help if you have any problems. Their email address is on the home page of this website
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby sarah » 23 Apr 2008, 01:57

oh my gosh i dont know how to thank you for what you have done for us i have to take a while to talk everything over with dad and brush up on greek tht i do know i thought id have months of work ahead trying to find them i am but wow sorry im in a bit of shock you have no idea what this means to us all THANK YOU so much
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby sarah » 23 Apr 2008, 05:23

does this man thanassis know i will call by the way? just thought id check see if he knows
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 23 Apr 2008, 07:28

I am pleased everything seems to be falling in place for you, Sarah.
Young Kojak is certainly a font of knowledge and is only too happy to impart it. :geek:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby sarah » 23 Apr 2008, 07:36

well i have sent our thanks to you too geoff i did apriciate any information that was given id been looking for a few weeks and i never thought that id get anywhere maybe someone who met her maybe but that was all
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Joanie » 23 Apr 2008, 08:08

thats great that Sarah.i'm glad you found out so much.Its quite exiting let us know how you get on
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby sarah » 23 Apr 2008, 08:11

i will do i promise
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 23 Apr 2008, 11:39

Sarah, I do hope the information is helpful - it's not very much I'm afraid but I wish you and your father the very best of luck. As I said before, do contact the Symi Visitor office if you have any problems. As far as I know, Thanassis doesn't know of your search yet but I'm sure the Symi Visitor can let him know. We are all interested in this so do keep us up to date. It would be wonderful if you and your father managed to contact your half-cousin after all these years.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 27 Apr 2008, 17:16

Sarah. I've just heard from my friend in Symi! Dimitris' mobile phone number is: +30-6948496838!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby sarah » 27 Apr 2008, 19:48

thank you kojak i only just found your post my dads asleeo at the mo but i will tell him as soon as he wakes up hes been very busy this week so hes very tired lol
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Return to Noticeboard