costs?????

Ask questions about the island of Symi

costs?????

Postby MacDuff » 03 May 2008, 02:21

So I guess I've got about 5 (five) years on you. It may not sound like a lot, but it has you (just) still on the better side of the BIG 70. :idea:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

costs?????

Postby Kon » 03 May 2008, 03:05

Age is but a number i hope to see you both visitng Symi even in the late future :geek: and still take some great photos Anthony. ;)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

costs?????

Postby Richard » 03 May 2008, 21:11

Which is the better side of 70?
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

costs?????

Postby Anthony » 03 May 2008, 23:51

[quote="Richard"]

Which is the better side of 70?
[/quote] Fair point - though as somebody with a few years still before I get there, my vote is for the lower side :) . But I must admit I was almost relieved when my 60th birthday arrived - having had the enormous good fortune to get early retirement at age 56, I felt rather embarrassed about admitting to my real age[img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy0037.gif[/img] until I reached 60 :oops: .
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

costs?????

Postby SamanthaF » 05 May 2008, 02:12

[quote="Adriana"]

It's important also to check arrival and departure times as if they are cheap night flights you can find that you lose two days of your holiday camping in hotel foyers or in transit. Happened to my mother the first time she came to visit, travelling with Kosmar. They wound up with only 5 nights on Symi out of the week :cry: and were at the mercy of the package company when it came to their transfer arrangements. That was back in 2002, mind you, so things may well have improved since then, I hope! :idea:

One advantage of travelling independent is that even if your flights are at inconvenient times you have some control over which connections you catch to and from Symi and where you go in between. :D
[/quote]

I think also, if you are to come as an independent visitor, you must also be a seasoned traveller. To be a just above teenager, arriving at a Greek airport not knowing the next move must be fairly daunting.

To be fair, I know that SV offers a "pick up service" , but surely, once the cost of that is factored in. you may as well have gone on a brochure holiday .

We are coming up to our 7th holiday to Symi, we are doing it with Olympic.

2 years ago, some pals decided to meet us there. They decided to stay in Patini after being told it was just a "few" steps from the harbour. It was infact far more than that, and it totally ruined their holiday as the lady actually had a replacement hip. She explained that she could do a "few" steps. I personally don't think that the lazy steps constitute a "few" steps.
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

costs?????

Postby Adriana » 05 May 2008, 08:13

We always enquire about mobility problems when people book as many places on Symi are not suitable for those with joint problems, heart conditions or asthma :o and people often don't think to mention these things when they book, particularly if they haven't been to Symi before.
:D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

costs?????

Postby Anthony » 05 May 2008, 23:27

[quote="SamanthaF"]

I think also, if you are to come as an independent visitor, you must also be a seasoned traveller. To be a just above teenager, arriving at a Greek airport not knowing the next move must be fairly daunting. [/quote]
With respect, Samantha, I think that underestimates the resourcefulness and adventurousness of today's young people. Like so many of her age, one of my nieces took an independent 'round the world' trip with a friend during her 'gap year' last year. It was, I think, the first time they had ventured abroad on their own - the challenges they must have had to face up to and overcome are to me amazing. :) :)
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

costs?????

Postby MacDuff » 09 May 2008, 06:03

You are correct Anthony! Young Canadians set off to Europe, with only the bare minimum in their back packs and fairly low funds. But they are resourceful and with the maple leaf on their packs get on famously. I mention the maple leaf, because there are many verified reports of young Americans using the maple leaf rather than the stars and stripes. Sad really. On the other hand I have friends of my age group who are scared to take the "risk" of going to Europe as couples and imagine all sorts of problems. Oddly, some will go to Australia as they seem to think that it will be more like Canada and they imagine that everybody speaks English there. The linguistic thing is a major imagined difficulty :(
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

costs?????

Postby Kon » 10 May 2008, 02:28

Well the American $ is on par with the Aussie dollar so as a holiday budget wise Australia would be a wise choice.
Personally Europe has far more to ofer . ;)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

costs?????

Postby MacDuff » 10 May 2008, 04:06

Yes Kon, and our dollar is just about on par with the U.S. one. The Euro is becoming really expensive. But yes, as one living in part of the new world, I have to say that Europe wins in terms of ambience, history and scenic variation. We Canadians - especially those of us who live in Alberta, are a touch amused by the Democratic candidates for the Presidency talking about re-negotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement. Alberta is the single largest supplier of energy to the U.S. -yes, exceeding Saudi Arabia - but most Americans don't realise. Also Canada imports more U.S. product than the whole of the E.C. So, yes, we look forward to a re-negotiation, just hope Barack or Hillary can hack it! :) :D 8-)
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Previous

Return to Noticeboard