costs?????

Ask questions about the island of Symi

costs?????

Postby sarah » 26 Apr 2008, 07:44

ive spoken to my friend and we are definately going to symi on october 1st 8-)
we have found our flights accommadation even travel insurance but the one question we still have is how much would we spend during 7 days?
As we have to save money its hard to work out how much we need, how much would you say is a minimum?
Last time i went abroad i was with my parents and it was still drachmas i hope you dont think im being cheeky asking but i dont know how to answer jenni
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

costs?????

Postby symivisitor » 26 Apr 2008, 14:59

Where are you staying Sarah?
symivisitor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

costs?????

Postby sarah » 26 Apr 2008, 15:46

we are hopeing to book through this website simivisitor but we are not booking untill we have money behind us first we are hopeing to book the despinas apartment for the first week of october but as i said we wont book till we have the cash behind us plus we have passports to sort out we are just pricing everything up so we have a ball mark figure for how much we might spend during the week there as well we know the prices its just how much money would u think we would need for the week for food drink etc
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

costs?????

Postby sarah » 26 Apr 2008, 16:22

iv spoken to my friend again and she changed her mind about despinas appartments so we will need your help with the accomadation if u wouldnt mind simivisitor my friend is a fussy person and doesnt want to be uphills or too far away from the harbour can u help?
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

costs?????

Postby Allan » 26 Apr 2008, 19:41

Sarah

Your original query about costs is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions! It all depends....

If you don't use taxi boats every day, buy some of your lunches at the supermarket, avoid the more expensive eating places you could have easily managed on around �200 - �250 a week last year when the exchange rate was 1.47 Euro to the pound. Who knows what it will be by October!

If you're travelling independently don't forget to budget for transfers from the airport to the harbour in Rhodes and for the ferry crossing.

Regarding your accommodation, I'd suggest you first contact Symivisitor at symi-vis@otenet.gr with your requirements and I'm sure they will do what they can to help. Early October is becoming a popular time on Symi so book your accommodation sooner rather than later.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

costs?????

Postby sarah » 26 Apr 2008, 20:33

thank you allan thts just what i needed to know i will email about accomidation soon we have remembered most things but you did remind us of the tranfer to Rhodes harbour thanks for that we have everything bugeted now we just need to get the money i will email my questions about accomodation now thanks alot
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

costs?????

Postby Anthony » 27 Apr 2008, 00:21

My apologies to my friend Allan [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/ashamed/ashamed0003.gif[/img][img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/ashamed/ashamed0003.gif[/img](and to Symi Visitor, who are an excellent organisation and among other things do of course bear the costs of running this Chat Page as well as the remainder of the site), but I rather doubt whether they are the right people for you. (If I'm wrong, they will certainly say so and explain what they do actually have to offer somebody like you).

As I understand it, you are young (I assume in your late teens or early 20s) and - as most of us were at that age, irrespective of how well off we might be nowadays - operating on a very tight budget. [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/character0294.gif[/img] You will therefore be wanting to find the cheapest possible accommodation, and won't mind how simple it is so long at is cheap, clean, and the beds are comfortable. Symi Visitor are as I understand it rather more in the business of offering the sort of good-quality accommodation that (say) your parents might be interested in, and at a corresponding price. When I visit Symi, I too am nowadays operating at that sort of price level, and so don't really know what is available at budget cost. But I'm sure other readers will be able to advise you on this.

Usually one reasonably cheap way of visiting Symi is to buy a package holiday from one of the three tour operators who come to Symi: Manos, Olympic Holidays, and [drat, I've forgotten the name of the third and probably the cheapest - old age!! Hopefully somebody else will remember them.]. But I do recall that nowadays they tend to finish their season early, so perhaps you've looked at them and found that they have nothing to offer at the time you need to travel.

One possibility worth following up is the Taxiarchis apartments**, where I often stay myself.
I'm planning to be on Symi myself at the beginning of October (though not this time at Taxiarchis), so I might well see you and your friend there.
8-) 8-)

** I've just re-read the bit about your friend not wanting to be far from the harbour. If so, Taxiarchis probably wouldn't suit as it is up at the top in Hori�, albeit not far from the bus stop.
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

costs?????

Postby Kojak » 27 Apr 2008, 17:30

I was about to suggest that, for two of you, a package holiday may be cheaper if you are on a budget. I can recommend Olympic holidays accommodation at Anastasoula Studios as near the harbour and only a few steps.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

costs?????

Postby sarah » 28 Apr 2008, 19:42

thanks for all your help guys we checked up on package hols and they cost the relitively the same price as going through the sv site so were going back to the orriginal plan of the despinas apprtment by the clock tower in harani i think we are just gonna stop worrying about the money and raise as much as we can
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

costs?????

Postby The Deedle » 28 Apr 2008, 21:30

Sarah, you will be fine. Tuck the pennies away, you have a few months and if need be, You can always get a bar job for the Summer. I can tell you now, it will all be worth it. :)
The Deedle
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

costs?????

Postby MacDuff » 29 Apr 2008, 03:13

Hi Sarah: Allan, the company you were trying to recall was SAGA. They stay at the hotel at Pedi Bay. Sarah I have island hopped the Dodocanese (about a dozen islands)For me Symi is the most attractive and the only one which I would recommend for two weeks. But don't be deterred by the Kali Strata. The views from Chorio are I think unequalled and there are eating places and bars both in Yialos and Chorio. Self catering will save you money, so try to get accommodation where you have the facilities. Have a wonderful time 8-) :D 8-) :D :geek:
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

costs?????

Postby Adriana » 29 Apr 2008, 07:59

Gyros is still excellent value for money! :geek:

You'd better contact us quickly, though, if you are wanting to book Despina's. :?:

The first two weeks of October are almost as busy as September these days.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

costs?????

Postby Allan » 29 Apr 2008, 10:06

MacDuff, the company Anthony was trying to recall was probably Kosmar Holidays.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

costs?????

Postby Mille » 29 Apr 2008, 10:13

Anyway..

Depending on your travel style, Sara, I would bring 450 euros as a minimum.

I know you'll fall in love with the island no matter what you do :)
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

costs?????

Postby Mille » 29 Apr 2008, 12:17

OG, you're not suggesting a young woman getting a loan?! :evil:

I've been to Symi on a VERY tight budget, but I still had a marvelous holiday.
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

costs?????

Postby Allan » 29 Apr 2008, 14:23

Exactly right Mille. You can spend as much or as little as you like while you're on Symi and being on a budget needn't spoil the holiday.

My only suggestion would be to put away enough to pay for the return ferry and taxi as soon as you arrive then go out and have fun with the rest!

You'll have a wonderful time Sarah.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

costs?????

Postby sarah » 29 Apr 2008, 14:38

its gonna be fine we have enough time to sort the money out were not worrying any more just trying to save like mad thank you every one for your help
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

costs?????

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 29 Apr 2008, 15:53

Awe Mille, a financial commitment is character building. I said, don't go overboard. You are, I think, very moderate in booze etc. The girls might be wow, wow party lasses. :geek:

Now, if the said girls were here, Uncle Oz has a real good thing for the 5th at Belmont on Saturday. The big punting guns of the Ozzie stable will be out with all barrels blazing... ;) They have been resting in the holster for quite a while but they are oiled and ready to go..!!
Go you good thing!!!! :)
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

costs?????

Postby sarah » 29 Apr 2008, 19:40

lmao ozzie geoff sorry to dissapoint but we are not wow wow party lasses but we do ejoy our nights out the laid back kind iv not been clubbing in months and jen much prefers her local with a pint than a club i guess were both a bit too laid back for all of that lol
sarah
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

costs?????

Postby Mille » 29 Apr 2008, 19:43

[quote="sarah"]

lmao ozzie geoff sorry to dissapoint but we are not wow wow party lasses but we do ejoy our nights out the laid back kind iv not been clubbing in months and jen much prefers her local with a pint than a club i guess were both a bit too laid back for all of that lol
[/quote]

Aw, Sarah. You're my kind of girl. :D

You remind me of myself 20 years ago :o
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Noticeboard