Cat with no ears

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Cat with no ears

Postby Stefania » 28 May 2008, 14:41

Calling the animal welfare people....While back in Symi for the social event of the year, Jean's birthday party, May 10, I was concerned to find a new feline friend on the track leading to Villa George, a few layers up from the Kali Strata.

It was a small white Persian cat with blue eyes and NO EARS.Can anyone shed any light on this atrocity? Was it a veterinary amputation? The cat was very thin but friendly.It may, of course, already have been discovered and is being cared for. But I was very concerned about it, as obviously as well as whiskers, ears are a cat's antennae.Can anyone help? Greetings from rain-soaked Yorkshire!
Stefania
Starting Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby Allan » 28 May 2008, 14:52

Hello Stefania and welcome to the chat page from another part of rain-soaked Yorkshire.

You have met "Lugless Douglas"!

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/113/267074109_4d7767ae9e.jpg[/img]

We know him (or her!) well. I've even made his very own photo album at

The amputation was professionally done and it's probably as a result of skin cancer, something that can affect sunbathing white cats. It doesn't seem to have affected his hearing though - he can hear the opening of a tin of tuna from miles away!
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Cat with no ears

Postby Adriana » 28 May 2008, 15:56

Skin cancer is a huge problem in white and predominantly white cats in this climate and amputating the affected ears, if done early enough, can spare the cat a great deal of future suffering. It may look undignified but is considerably less painful than the cancer which creeps down from their ears and across their faces if not treated. Remember that Symi cats, whether domestic pets or 'living rough' are fundamentally outdoor animals and spend most of their lives in the sun.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 29 May 2008, 02:03

Talking of cats, is "Nelson", the one eyed cat still hanging around Les Cats/Pats Bar(rtd.) area?
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby ola » 29 May 2008, 10:24

When I was on the island in April / May I had regular visits from a male one-eyed cat, white with brown patches. He seemed to patrol his borders in the early morning. This was just above the Alpha bank and so not far from the area you mention.
Could have been the same one Geoff but it didn�t say its name so I have no way of knowing.
ola
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 30 May 2008, 03:46

Sounds like Nelson, Ola. But I must bear in mind he would be getting a bit long in the tooth nowdays. :!:

I like your pithy saying. Who was it that said "Youth is wasted on the young"?
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby Miss Exige » 12 Jun 2008, 21:10

Old no ears is fine....who wouldn't be eating at georgio's...
had dinner with us in 06 and last week.... :)
Miss Exige
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby Anthony » 12 Jun 2008, 23:03

[quote="Ozzie Geoff"]
Who was it that said "Youth is wasted on the young"?[/quote]
I don't know - but looking back it was sadly true [img]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/sad/sad0143.gif[/img]
Anthony
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby Calum » 17 Jun 2008, 00:54

I too can confirm Lugless Douglas is well. Not sure, but I think he lives with the lady in the first house along from Villa Voyatizis/Villa George when heading into the village? Anyway, he looks well fed and he enjoyed a few saucers of milk with us when we were there last month! Here's some footage of him hanging around:
Calum
Starting Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby Sandi » 17 Jun 2008, 15:07

Welcome Calum, thanks for the film,I enjoyed that.
Sandi
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby Kojak » 17 Jun 2008, 15:43

I reckon Lugless Douglas has a timetable of who's arriving, when and where they are staying! :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby Joanie » 17 Jun 2008, 18:51

That was lovely Calum i really enjoyed that,thank you,and a warm welcome :) :) :)
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Cat with no ears

Postby MacDuff » 18 Jun 2008, 04:24

Albinos of any mammalian species have reaction to sunlight. Last year when visiting a school in the backwoods of Namibia, I saw an albino boy of about 8 years of age. Clearly he had major problems, but nothing could be done. Very sad and thought provoking.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Noticeboard