Hotel near Port in Rhodes

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby Andy W » 24 Jun 2008, 10:23

Hi again Ange
The Nissos Kalymnos runs 3 times a week from Kalymnos to Astypalea. (yes, it's still afloat, just never gets south of Kos these days) The once a week ferry from Rhodes that calls at Astypalea also stops at Kalymnos so that's by far your best bet in the mainstream Dodecanese chain. The downside is that the NK leaves at 7 am, so you'd need an overnight on Kalymnos.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Kojak » 24 Jun 2008, 11:08

I saw the N. Kalymnos on the shipping chart but imagined that it must be a newer ship. I can't believe the old rustbucket is still afloat!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby valr » 24 Jun 2008, 20:23

Now home from our holi to Tilos and Symi and feel like I'm in a time-warp - Yorkshire is so miserable, grey and windy I can't believe there's another world out there! Holi was perfect - Tilos and Symi are so different from each other but are equally as beautiful in their own right. (Ange if you want any info on Tilos, let me know).
Spent the last night in Rhodes in the Plaza - perfect as ever - and managed to beat the travel company coaches in the airport to the Gate, for once we were the 1st in the line so therefore had plenty of time to buy our dutyfree and snacks (not to mention the last Greek beers and Retsinas!). Got taxi to airport and then hovered outside the departure hall (getting the last of the Greek sun) till the coaches arrived (knowing that they open the Gate when the coaches arrive) listened to what the FC reps (we were on their flight)told their clients on the coaches and managed to get to the appropriate Gate 1st. Awful to join the rat-race again I know, but needs-must when you're on the journey home. Unless we can manage a late summer fix that's our quota till next June - but, where there's a will there's a way! Anyone who's about to go - have a great time.
valr
Symi Visitor
Symi Visitor

Postby Kojak » 24 Jun 2008, 23:26

Pleased you enjoyed it Valr. I've been ever so slightly cheesed off by others swanning off to Symi but I'm entering the "smug" period now as I still have September to look forward to. I'll try not to gloat too much before I go but I'm not promising anything... :P
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Ange » 25 Jun 2008, 15:43

I know just how you feel, Kojak! Everyone at work seems to go in May and June and I'm desperate to go, it seems ages to September!

Thanks Andy, for the ferry link to Astypalea. We really want to go there. Haven't considered Kalymos before, but we'll look into it. We survived using The Romilda the Nissos boat sounds like her sister! Hopefully they'll put more ferries on for September, or is it usual the lack of ferries there? A few days there and Tilos then the rest of the fortnight in Symi is what we want to do, ferries permitting.

Val, I'd love some info abou Tilos, I'll PM you!
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 26 Jun 2008, 07:46

Hi Ange, Kalymnos is quite a big island so you'll need some transport.We hired a motor cycle and toured around, is very pretty and has huge citrus orchards, you can actually smell the oranges and lemons as you are riding along.
I'd suggest 2 days on the island. :geek:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby Adriana » 09 Jul 2008, 10:31

There are actually some pleasant walks on Kastellorizo and the views are magnificient. We often used to stop off there when we were sailing between Cyprus and Symi.

It all depends on what you want to do while you are on holiday.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Ange » 09 Jul 2008, 23:24

Thanks Adriana,

It does sound and looks very nice, we enjoy each others company and like walking. We like the quieter islands like Iraklia and Amorgos.

Its just the ferry connections and lack of nearby islands to visit what put us off. If we had longer than 2 weeks we would go.
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Previous

Return to Noticeboard