Flights landing at Karnayo!!!?

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby tim.lx » 16 Nov 2008, 11:15

Hi to you all... am planning to visit the island next year with Sarah for a couple of weeks...either beginning or end of season (May or Sept) ....any thoughts?..(can't be mid-summer coz of an awkward thing called work)...am trawling through the various websites for flights to Rhodes from Newcastle upon Tyne, as you do, and wonder if anyone has a magic formula!!! gotta say guys and gals, this web-site is great, and I really enjoy dipping into the chat...and feel I sort of know the place already!!....can't wait to get there. Thinking of staying at 'Karnayo' if poss....anybody got experience of it?
tim.lx
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 16 Nov 2008, 12:31

Hi Tim..... :D welcome to the website.

I'm pleased :) to hear that you get pleasure out of it and of course you're not alone which I guess is demonstrated by the frequency of which some of us post here...I do hope you will feel inclined to join us some more ;) .

I see you and your lady Sarah are looking to visit beautiful :mrgreen: Symi in May or September, as someone who does both, I can thoroughly recommend those times.

The weather can occasionally catch you out but rain doesn't usually last long and the temperatures are pleasant enough to go to the beach :!: . You may need a jumper/cardigan in the evenings although this isn't always necessarily so. The other benefit of going in May or September is that you avoid the peak tourist times which can be hectic particularly in the tavernas...of course you may prefer a more busy feel to the place.

I can't comment on your potential accommodation but there is a lot of nice accommodation to be found on Symi.

I'm sure you'll love Symi whatever time of year you finally decide to choose and you never know, we may bump into each other. Good luck with your planning :) .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 16 Nov 2008, 12:56

One major piece of advice, Tim. Don't go for a night flight if you can possibly avoid it. You end up hanging about for hours in Rhodes waiting for ferries to Symi or flights home! Also take the following:

a) If you like your tea, take a travel kettle. Some accommodations supply one but many don't.

b) A plug in mosquito repellent.

c) A bottle opener (essential!).
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby mikegadd » 16 Nov 2008, 13:09

Stayed at 'Karnayo' a couple of years ago: lovely house with gorgeous views. Bit of a climb up but worth it. :)
mikegadd
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby SueO » 16 Nov 2008, 18:11

Hi Tim...sure you'll love Symi and, if you go end of May/September, you're bound to bump into a few of the site regulars. Whether you consider that to be an incentive or not depends on your point of view :twisted:

Looks as if you will have to take a Wednesday flight from Newcastle but, as so many UK flights are on a Wednesday that won't cause a problem at the Symi end. We book on line through Travel Republic http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk and have always found that they offer all available flights and are very efficient. They are ABTA members which I find reassuring too.

Best of luck with your arrangements.
SueO
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby tim.lx » 17 Nov 2008, 18:12

Thanks all for your responses.....much appreciated....sounds as though May/Sept visit plan is a good'n....we are looking for a chance to have a bit of a 'getaway' time during day... with evening opportunity to quietly pickle ourselves in beverage of choice in local, friendly hostelry.....I work frenetically all hours in theatre-land with artistic types, bless'em,so genuinely relish times spent with people not of 'the Biz'!!!
Dunno why Karnayo appeals...just does, from the pics on this site...
I am assuming it is in area well within stumbling distance of the hoped for taverna(s)...anyway, will find out soon enough..thanks again, hope to cross paths later...cheers..
tim.lx
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Kojak » 17 Nov 2008, 23:39

"well within stumbling distance of the hoped for taverna(s)..."

I have a feeling you'll go down well with most of us Tim! 8-) :geek:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Richard » 17 Nov 2008, 23:44

And it is quite difficult stumbling more than about 50 yards in any direction without encountering a taverna (so they tell me).
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard