Symi Genealogy Information

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby nicholas_prakas » 08 Jan 2009, 11:39

Hello to all,
Was wondering if anyone can give me any information as to whether their is a site or a forum where I can find information about my ancestry from Symi. Or of its possible how i can obtain record from the islands public records office (such as marriage/dowery registration). My Great-grandmother (Kalliopi Pahou daughter of Eleftherios Pahos, married to Yiorgos Yiallouris of Kastelorizo Island) was from the Island of Symi and my Grandfather was born there as well. Our Family name on the island was Pahos / Pachos (fairly common name I know) but my mother has not much information about this side of our family as I am trying to prepare our family tree.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
nicholas_prakas
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Kon » 08 Jan 2009, 13:14

Hi Nicholas welcome to the SV chat page ,i too am a Pahos and like you said it was a common name back in those days ,i serched too but got most info from my relos in Rhodes i actually found out that my great grandfather was a ikon Artist (ikonografos) i think they call them.
Good luck with your search and dont worry someone will help out. :)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby nicholas_prakas » 08 Jan 2009, 15:38

thanks!

Why is there not a Genealogy section here under the forum?

I think it would be a very useful. I was able to find many of many relatives through another site organized by Kazzies. You are the second Pahos from Australia to contact me.. the other one was a fellow named Jason I believe..
nicholas_prakas
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Richard » 08 Jan 2009, 15:44

There is a genealogy page on the main SV site. It may well be worth you posting a message on there:
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby nicholas_prakas » 08 Jan 2009, 20:36

Yes i had come across that page once before but seems as if it has little activity. So i figured it might be easier or more useful to post here since it is a bit more active.

I sent an email though, hopefully will be able to get some help.
Thanks for the info.
best regards,
nicholas
nicholas_prakas
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby hilarias » 08 Jan 2009, 22:55

Hi Nicholas Jason is my second cousin, But Pahos is his fathers side of the family I'm on his mum's side.
I always find chatting older family members the best if possible. With all the wars in Greece not many records are kept. The council has some records not sure how far back they go from memory I think WW2. The Panormitis Office in may have church records.
I will ask my parents for you if they know any information. I love loking up this stuff. I have done our tree back to great great great grandparents mostly through word of mouth and am lucky to have photos of them from identification cards from when Symi and the rest of the Dodencanese was under Italian rule :)
hilarias
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby nicholas_prakas » 09 Jan 2009, 01:13

[quote="hilarias"]

Hi Nicholas Jason is my second cousin, But Pahos is his fathers side of the family I'm on his mum's side.
I always find chatting older family members the best if possible. With all the wars in Greece not many records are kept. The council has some records not sure how far back they go from memory I think WW2. The Panormitis Office in may have church records.
I will ask my parents for you if they know any information. I love loking up this stuff. I have done our tree back to great great great grandparents mostly through word of mouth and am lucky to have photos of them from identification cards from when Symi and the rest of the Dodencanese was under Italian rule :)
[/quote]

Hello there,
unfortunately I dont have any contact with older relatives that would know about that side of the family. But I will ask my mom if she can track any one down that might possibly know. My mom left greece over 50 years ago, and i don't know of anyone old enough that would be able to help me out.
nicholas_prakas
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 09 Jan 2009, 11:05

Hi Nicholas, a warm welcome to the noticeboard :) .

I find this sort of thing fascinating......please do keep us informed of your progress in tracking down your relatives. It's great to see that our Greek members with family links to the island may have been able to give you some direction on this already. I wish you the very best of luck.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard