moving to symi

Ask questions about the island of Symi

moving to symi

Postby Antoniou » 18 Feb 2009, 17:09

YahSU

I am a new visitor to the site, so hello all! I am hoping to move to the island and wondered if anyone could suggest some long term accommodation to rent. and maybe a job to get me started.

���������
Antoniou
Starting Visitor

moving to symi

Postby Joanie » 18 Feb 2009, 18:27

Hi Antoniou and a warm welcome to the chat page,lovely to have you here.Your lucky moving to such a beautiful place, i cant help you with your question but there are lots on here who will be happy to help.We also have live chat, they seem to get in from 10pm onwards. Good luck in your new venture :) :)
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

moving to symi

Postby Kojak » 18 Feb 2009, 19:34

Hello Antoniou. Advice on long term property rental would be better coming from people actually living there. I suggest you email the Visitor office initially. As for a job, there is very little year round employment available on Symi. A great deal is seasonal and tourist based and jobs are generally not that well paid. I'd advise checking employment opportunities carefully before committing yourself to any accommodation rental. I do wish you success, but you need to be very sure that any wages will be enough to support you.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

moving to symi

Postby maziemoo » 18 Feb 2009, 19:45

Welcome Antoniou, I wish you all the best with your exciting new venture....one you've established yourself, be sure to update us on your progress :) !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

moving to symi

Postby Kon » 18 Feb 2009, 23:49

Antoniou yia sou,welcome to the Symi Visitor chat page ,i too would say call the guys at the SV office for long term accomadation as for work depends what you like doing i think targeting tourism areas such as Hotels and/or restraunts-cafes Greece as you know relies on tourism for its large portion of income so i think you will find work there pretty easy.I also echo the reply Kojak said about your income being sufficient enough to cover your living costs .I envy you its been my dream for years too to live on a beautiful Greek island ,we would love to hear your progress when you get a chance to come on the chat page ,best of luck with your endevours. :geek:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

moving to symi

Postby Dave » 19 Feb 2009, 22:19

I once met someone who rented - he was happy with the deal but fortunately for him, was protected by a pension and some funds. Don't forget that the economy is relatively tourist driven ... and probably not well paid - and, unless you have two or three jobs that can bring money in during the "off" season ( and the Symi people need those just as much as you will) it is maybe not the "escape" that you imagine. And any winter job you get is one that is no longer available for a Symiot.
But good luck with your dream and ambition - I wish I could do it ! Keep us posted on your progress !
Dave
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Noticeboard