hello

Ask questions about the island of Symi

hello

Postby caro » 04 Mar 2009, 15:06

hello symi. I would like to live in symi, can somebody contact me for rent prize of houses or appartment. and are little shops for rent in the habour area. I am looking forward to hear from you maybe I am lucky and somebody can give me information
caro
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

hello

Postby Allan » 05 Mar 2009, 13:40

Hello Caro and welcome to the chat page.

If you are looking for long-term accommodation rather than just for a holiday it is best to arrange that while you are on the island. You will be able to meet the landlords, view the properties and negotiate the rent in person over a coffee.

The same goes for renting a shop. These are rarely advertised, relying on word of mouth and personal contact.

Perhaps you should spend some time on the island talking to people to find out what is available. Symi Visitor Accommodation should be able to help you with somewhere to stay while you look round. You can email them at: symi-vis@otenet.gr

If you intend opening a shop for the tourist season you will have to be quick!

Good luck with your plans.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

hello

Postby Kojak » 05 Mar 2009, 15:51

Hello Caro. A lot depends on what you intend to sell in the shop. Don't forget that Symi is a very small island and tourist numbers are limited. Also this year, tourism is generally down and this will directly affect every business. I would think very carefully before you spend any money on opening a shop. Allan is right to say that you should spend time talking to people. I've seen many businesses on Symi open and close over the years because there wasn't enough trade to support them.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

hello

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 06 Mar 2009, 01:47

Yes Caro, I can only echo the advice of Allan and Kojak.
The present traders cater for just about everything, clothes, nic-knacks, souveniers, beauty salons etc...and don't even think of opening anything to do with food, there are scores of them.
You must have a business plan to provide a unique service which would REALLY appeal to the masses.
A sea change could easily turn into a financial and personal nightmare.
Tread your own path...
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

hello

Postby caro » 06 Mar 2009, 05:14

thank you so much for your reply ok I SEE the best way is to visit the island. I am living in turkey so it,s easy
to go to rhodos but at the moment the stormy sea does not allow me to do so. let,s see. thank very much for your time.
regards from a little village from here I can see symi xxx love caro
caro
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

hello

Postby Kon » 06 Mar 2009, 05:58

Merhaba Caro ,welcome to SV chat ,another angle i would look at your idea is take a few trips at different times of the year and look at the crowds around that time ,are the shops busy or not ,also make sure you check the Greek tax system to see if it suits your needs ,Cafes are always the best places to get ideas of whats happening around Symi.Locals are more than happy to chat.As a business owner myself i would defer from any business adventure for now due to the unstable global economy.Think of the pros and cons and decide thoughtfully ,it could be a adventurous nightmare.Gunayden :geek:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

hello

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 07 Mar 2009, 01:50

Well said Kon.
Caro, why not a business in Turkey? Why do you want to "cross the road" to Greece? Turkey is very popular with Germans so as far as communication goes it would be a real plus.
Just a thought........
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

hello

Postby MacDuff » 08 Mar 2009, 02:20

Hi Caro, I think you have been given good advice, opening a business in another country at a time of world recession could be expensive. (Spanish for expensive is caro!) Caution.
MacDuff
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Noticeboard