***URGENT APPEAL***

Ask questions about the island of Symi

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 03 Apr 2009, 04:51

I do not see how you can be ignorant in cases like this. Even the most primitive among us has some sort of compassion for heloless animals.
I think its a very strong streak of evil, something which they never grow out of.
I bet that fat kid is now an absolute prig of a "man".
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Eleanor » 03 Apr 2009, 22:59

This topic has really upset me. I am a great animal lover having been brought up with cats,dogs,horses and all sorts of pets in my childhood and I have brought up my kids to respect and love animals
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Kon » 03 Apr 2009, 23:43

I also agree that animal cruelty in any shape of form is wrong ,but personaly i think the efforts of vets on an island treating animals is going to be frutless if the pet owners are not educated on proper animal care ,most adopt a cat or dog for their childs entertainment and that probably last a couple of months then the animal left to fend itself on the street resulting in most cases in death,Vets should have kids day at their visit educate the kids on animal care even visit schools have a day of it once you create interest you set a base for proper care of a pet ,a child is always nieve or neglegent in an adults point of view but if he or she is not eduated about it what are we to expect.Vet services should consider even leaflets for school programs for the kids ,again i think they will be fighting a loosing battle if all they set up is to treat animals,before and after care should be implemented too.
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 04 Apr 2009, 05:27

Excellent thought, Kon. I hope both Vets see it and take heed.

On a lighter note...Did Barbie ever have any pups? Before Pat's Mickey had the snip (excuse the Freudian slip) he was a very active romancer and Barbie was a good lookin' gal. Maybe they got together one moonlit night?
It would be nice to think some of Barbies "kids" were around.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby maziemoo » 04 Apr 2009, 13:13

Such a sensible idea Kon and seems to me to be an opportunity missed if the schools can't be targeted in this way.

As you rightly say the issues go far beyond the vet visits and a proper educational programme would go a long way to helping people of all ages to understand responsibilities and appropriate standards of care and it has to be said this doesn't just apply to Symi.

Of course such activities require sufficient funding to enable production of printed leaflets etc., however this may be the sort of thing that the Greek Animal Welfare Organisation would be willing to sponsor for those who are dedicated enough or have sufficient manpower to undertake such activities.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Ange » 04 Apr 2009, 23:43

Kon,
What you have said is so true. Until the local population learns to respect all animals and to care for them throughout their lives things won't change.
Its so different on Skopelos. The headmistress of the local school is a big animal lover and she teaches and passes on her love of animals to the children in her school.
They have a simular vet programme to Symi and there is hardly any stray or feral animals in Skopelos town. The animal welfare charity has a kiosk on the harbour for donations and advise too.
I find animal cruelty very upsetting and this topic has upset me too.
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Previous

Return to Noticeboard