***URGENT APPEAL***

Ask questions about the island of Symi

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby SamanthaF » 21 Mar 2009, 20:02

It saddens me to report that Barbie, is missing, feared dead.

She has been in the care of a couple in Horio during the winter, receiving regular food and love. Lately, she has become very unwell. I won't go into details, but her condition deteriorated rapidly in the past few days, she stopped eating, was hardly able to walk, and her carers said that she seemed to be dieing. They got in contact with the FAROS vets in advance of their visit next week, and an antiobiotic was prescribed. Last night, shortly before the FAROS party in Horio, Barbie followed her carers to Syllogos restaurant where they were going to administer the injection, but in the few minutes while they were preparing it, Barbie disappeared. Despite spending the whole day searching all over Horio and down towards Pedi, her carers have not been able to find her. It is the first day in over four months that she has not come for her food and water.

If anyone has any news of Barbie, be it good or bad, please could they get in contact with ++30 69458 21782, at or by leaving a posting here on the chat page.
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Tove » 21 Mar 2009, 22:24

That is very sad news, I hope somebody will find her just to be sure what have happened. But she has been poor for a long time, maybe it is for the best for her to rest in peace.
Tove
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Kojak » 21 Mar 2009, 23:30

I hope she wasn't poisoned, that has happened to a few pets up there to my knowledge.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby SamanthaF » 21 Mar 2009, 23:37

We are all hoping and praying for the best.

If she has passed on, it would be nice to give her a better send off than poor Lakis got.

And whoever edited my original post to alter the email, you really are the lowest of the low. May you rot.
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby maziemoo » 22 Mar 2009, 00:11

I do hope her carers are able to establish her whereabouts soon and handle the situation as appropriate.

I would appreciate an update as and when you have any news Samantha, I'm going to miss seeing that lovely old dog out and about if she has passed on to doggie heaven.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Adriana » 23 Mar 2009, 07:27

I usually see her in the mornings when I walk to work but with all the road works going on in the lanes in Chorio at the moment I have had to come a completely different route. It is possible that with so many familiar roads dug up at the moment and being half blind and rather deaf these days she has become disorientated. The fact that there are so many people on the lookout for her, however, does give her a better chance than most. :idea:

If I see or hear anything I will let you know. We had a 12 hour power cut on Symi on Sunday so many residents on line would only receive the message this morning, Monday. :evil:

Seems like only yesterday Barbie was the 'puppy from hell', demolishing Jackie and Geoff's Christmas tree at the Valanidia and eating the candles! :mrgreen:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby cazscho1 » 23 Mar 2009, 14:44

fingers crossed she turns up safe and well. Symi wouldn't be the same without her.
cazscho1
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Adriana » 25 Mar 2009, 08:05

No Barbie sightings to report, although I have walked through much of Chorio these last two days. As the spruce up for the season is now well under way and the municipal clean up team is conspicuously active if she did pass away in one of the main lanes she is probably up on Symi's rubbish dump by now. The locals are not sentimental when it comes to animals - I have seen dead donkeys and all sorts of dead animals just dumped up there. :?

When our dog died we buried him in the garden under his favourite rosemary bush where he used to snooze on hot days. A fitting end to a well loved pet - and we walk past his 'spot' every day. :mrgreen:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Symi Animal Welfare » 25 Mar 2009, 10:04

Barbie's disappearance is of great concern to us and we are all acutely aware that this old lady is in need of urgent attention. Any details received will be released on a various websites and I will personally reveal any factual information which is brought to my attention.

Yesterday, a tragic incident occurred in Chorio, near to the Village Hotel. A beloved family pet cat was shot with either an air-rifle or pellet gun at approximately 3pm. The badly injured creature managed to struggle home but died shortly afterwards. As yet, no-one has come forward to either apologise or even admit to witnessing the shooting. Whether it was a terrible accident or a malicious act, this sort of behaviour is abhorrent and unacceptable.

We now have 2 animal welfare organisations on Symi, it is vital that we both continue our efforts to improve awareness and an appreciation of all the animals living here

Melanie Sharp
Symi Animal Welfare
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby SamanthaF » 29 Mar 2009, 20:46

Sadly Barbie has been found dead in a ruin in Chorio.

RIP Beautiful Barbie.
SamanthaF
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Joanie » 29 Mar 2009, 20:57

Poor Barbie, dying alone like that......R.I.P.
Joanie
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Trailer » 29 Mar 2009, 23:19

Yes, this eulogising is all very well and much has been written here and elsewhere about this poor abandoned dog who has now suffered a lonely and horrible death. Is it so beyond anyone's imagination that someone on Symi could have given her a proper home and to have genuinely cared for her? Rest in peace indeed poor Barbie. Run free lovely creature.
Trailer
Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby maziemoo » 30 Mar 2009, 09:06

Thank you Samantha for updating us on Barbie's fate. It's very, very sad news indeed....bless her....however as much as everyone will miss her, the most important thing is that this lovely old girl isn't suffering any longer.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 30 Mar 2009, 12:20

may the person who shot the cat rot in hell....forever...
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby MrsMcS » 30 Mar 2009, 14:41

I am so upset to hear of Barbie's passing. The first time I heard that Jane had left and that she couldn't take Barbie with her I couldn't stop thinking of her going down to the harbour every day looking for Jane. I was upset the whole holiday and ever since it has always upset me every time I see her. It is such a shame the couple who were looking after her weren't able to find her and that she died alone. At least she isn't suffering any more and may she rest in peace.

It will seem very strange this year when we visit Symi with no Lakis and no Barbie.
MrsMcS
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby cazscho1 » 30 Mar 2009, 14:50

What a shame. I agree though, at least she isn't suffering anymore. bless her.
cazscho1
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Ange » 01 Apr 2009, 22:14

Sorry to hear about Barbie's death, she will be missed on Symi.

I'm very upset and shocked about the senseless shooting off a pet cat by the Village Hotel, I hope whoever did this is caught. It happens in this country too and its so distressing for the owners too.

I made friends with a lovely friendly chubby tabby cat when I was taking photos round the hotel area last September hope it wasn't that one.
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 02 Apr 2009, 08:10

Adriana is right about the locals having little respect for animals.

It was in '86 and I was working at the Opera House taverna. It was after lunch and i was having a break sitting on the concrete surround of a tree. I noticed a mother with a fat little boy with her, he about 3/4 yrs. As they approached me a small kitten emerged from under the bridge and was walking along close to the wall. The fat kid slipped his mothers hand and tottered over and kicked the poor kitten. He ran back, grabbed his mothers hand and they both continued on their way. I can still hear the crunch as the kittens body was crushed against the wall. I think I yelled "HEY" as i ran over to the kitten. The little thing looked at me, gave a little cry (which I can still hear) and died.
I took the little fella down passed Nos and managed to dig a hole and I buried it and built a little pile of rocks over it.
I wish the child nothing but bad luck for his entire life. I bet he's a fat brute of a man. as for his mother...best not said.
I think of that inident quite regularly... :cry:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby maziemoo » 02 Apr 2009, 12:47

[quote="Ozzie Geoff"]

Adriana is right about the locals having little respect for animals.

It was in '86 and I was working at the Opera House taverna. It was after lunch and i was having a break sitting on the concrete surround of a tree. I noticed a mother with a fat little boy with her, he about 3/4 yrs. As they approached me a small kitten emerged from under the bridge and was walking along close to the wall. The fat kid slipped his mothers hand and tottered over and kicked the poor kitten. He ran back, grabbed his mothers hand and they both continued on their way. I can still hear the crunch as the kittens body was crushed against the wall. I think I yelled "HEY" as i ran over to the kitten. The little thing looked at me, gave a little cry (which I can still hear) and died.
I took the little fella down passed Nos and managed to dig a hole and I buried it and built a little pile of rocks over it.
I wish the child nothing but bad luck for his entire life. I bet he's a fat brute of a man. as for his mother...best not said.
I think of that inident quite regularly... :cry:
[/quote]

Oh dear Geoffwi....that horrid story has really upset me :cry: .

Humans can be so wicked sometimes :cry: ...I don't know if it's ignorance :? or evil :twisted: that makes them behave that way.

Thank you for the PC by the way :) .....and hot tart :?: ;) ...yes I think that would be the finishing touch ;) .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

***URGENT APPEAL***

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 03 Apr 2009, 04:51

I do not see how you can be ignorant in cases like this. Even the most primitive among us has some sort of compassion for heloless animals.
I think its a very strong streak of evil, something which they never grow out of.
I bet that fat kid is now an absolute prig of a "man".
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Next

Return to Noticeboard