New old documentaries on Symi

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby ola » 10 Apr 2009, 13:05

An American friend of mine made me aware of two documentary films that are out now. They where shot in 1975 and '76, just a few years after my first visit and I will certainly send an order for both films even if I found them a bit steep at $36 a piece.
I am looking forward to seeing the island as it was back then. I do have a romantic memory of the good life and the friendly people that will never fade but I have not forgotten the poor conditions, the ruined town and some of the locals despair and struggle.

I have on occasions made a point of several changes that have taken place on Symi and other small Greek islands. Most changes has been for the better and a few for the worse but overall most have made the life of the locals easier and certainly economically improved.
ola
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby ola » 10 Apr 2009, 20:01

I sendt an e-mail juniperfilms asking if there were two films or an album with the two short stories. I was pleased to get an answer today stating that it is indeed three films for the price of one and I'll share the content with you all as I think it's of public interest, at least within our flock of Symi enthusiasts. Here goes:

Thankyou for your email. It�s good to learn that this new Symi DVD is making itself known already. We embarked on this DVD project because we received some enquiries about the idea last year. It�s self financed with a limited release and we are hopeful it will recoup the production costs. The subject is a nostalgic look at Symi in the 1970s. So thankyou putting the news out further.

Yes the one DVD runs for 38 minutes and contains 3 short programmes: Ten Times Empty, Symi reflections, and a History of Sym . The cost is $36(Australian dollars) and is PAL format. It can be purchased from our web page

You may have been there when we filmed. We regularly ate at Kyriacos restaurant which you will remember. Is it still there?

Regards
James Wilson
ola
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Allan » 10 Apr 2009, 21:28

Well spotted Ola.

Do let us know what the films are like. Now I know the prices are in Australian dollars they don't sound as bad and I may be tempted to buy a copy if you think it's worth it.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 11 Apr 2009, 04:23

Robert Juniper is a internationally renowned artist.
It could have been partly funded by the Symi Club of Sydney.
You could ask Jean if she has ever darkened its portals.
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Postby bill » 11 Apr 2009, 10:13

Dear Allan, Juniper Films featured on another Symi based website this week. This was due to another Alan making enquiries regarding releasing the Symi films on DVD, which they have now done. Thank you Alan!
Regards.
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby ola » 11 Apr 2009, 18:28

Dear Bill,
I might of course be mistaken but do I sense you imply I stole the information from SymiChat, made up a story and posted it as my own find?

Although I make a point of visiting the other Symi page almost every day to keep track of the chat and view the excellent pictures I had failed to see Alan's posting. It had probably fallen down the page due to lack of comments and I usually don't scroll much. I I'm pleased that the word is spread around to all interested no matter what Symi site is the favorite.

I feel confident that my American roommate from the Watford College days in the early '70s had no knowledge of this posting either and as he said had found the information by chance as he is interested in Polynese culture and Juniper Films seem to be specializing in that field.

I have ordered the documentary (AUS$36 + $11 postage) and will let you all know what I think in due time.

Regards
ola
ola
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Adriana » 12 Apr 2009, 08:24

I have seen Ten Times Empty, courtesy of Dr Walter Blumberger who put together the highly successful Daniel Spoerri exhibition at the Symi Visitor building in 2007 and who has a vast collection of historic Symiana. :D

It is a poignant little film and many of the people in it are still to be seen on the island. Little did the narrator know that one day one of his family would be mayor of Symi. :D

By the way, if you set up a selection of Google alerts on Symi in relation to various topics of interest it is easy to keep abreast with everything that comes up on the internet to do with the island, and that includes DVDs... ;)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 12 Apr 2009, 13:11

:D :D :D thank you for those really useful pointers Adriana and Ola.....it's always nice to see people willing to share interesting information without being inappropriately possessive about it.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kon » 12 Apr 2009, 13:16

Because it says Au as in Aussie dollars does that mean the company is here down under or? :idea:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby bill » 12 Apr 2009, 16:03

MazieMoo,
give credit where it's due, "inappropriately possessive" is rubbish.
You don't criticise or make negative comments against your clique, so why me?
:D :D :D :D :D
bill
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 12 Apr 2009, 16:31

Now Bill my dear, why do you assume I was getting at you :idea: .... now if I was as paranoid as someone with psychopathic tendencies, I might be inclined to think you were getting at me for some reason, though I really can't think why that would be :?:

As for me having a 'clique', you totally misunderstand me, as anyone who really knows me would tell you, I'm a rather single minded person not given to hiding behind a close knit group of individuals.

Incidentally surely any credit due is to be claimed by those who produced the footage not by those who have chosen to make known it's presence :?: ...

Best wishes Mazie
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby ola » 12 Apr 2009, 23:53

[quote="Kon"]

Because it says Au as in Aussie dollars does that mean the company is here down under or? :idea:
[/quote]

Yes Kon - in the city of the grand opera:

Juniper Films Pty Ltd
Box R55 Royal Exchange
Sydney NSW 1225
Tel (02) 95500858
ola
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kon » 16 Apr 2009, 13:55

Just placed my order can't wait to see it. :)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard