Ferry Times

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Ferry Times

Postby Deano44 » 13 Jun 2009, 14:29

Not been to symi for a few years, looking at the ferry times, has the 1800 ferry from rhodes stopped running on a Wenesday, i can only see the 1915. can anyone help me as we are arriving on a wednesday, do we now have to wait for the 1925 from rhodes ?
Deano44
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby D and E » 14 Jun 2009, 12:11

Hi Deanno - we went out on Wednesday 3rd June and were on the Symi II from Mandraki at 18:00 but things do change quick on the ferry front and I am sure those closer to the action will give you an update.
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby snoopy2 » 14 Jun 2009, 23:25

:idea: We are also worried about ferry times as we get into Rhodes 16:45 on the Wednesday 2 September. If the 19:?? is on then we are delighted and laughing as we will be showered changed and on our way to a local eatery before ten. Otherwise do we envisage a night in Rhodes??? Nice though it is i hope not - we just want to get to our villa. :o :o
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby Richard » 14 Jun 2009, 23:52

Only God and ANES know when the ferries will be running in September and I'm not at all sure about ANES. They don't usually publish their schedules more than one month ahead if you are very lucky. Wednesday is the major changeover day for Symi and it is almost certain (but see above) that there will be a ferry from Rhodes at c. 19:30'ish on that day. This will probably be the very reliable and hard-working Symi II from Mandraki but may just be the Symi or even the Proteus.

You must check nearer the time to make sure.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby snoopy2 » 15 Jun 2009, 08:48

thanks for that Richard will start checking end of July on.
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby Mille » 15 Jun 2009, 11:23

That is so true, OG! :)
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Ferry Times

Postby snoopy2 » 15 Jun 2009, 12:48

:mrgreen: Thanks Mille and Snoopy. You are right. Believe you me when i get to Symi you will never have witnessed a more 'chilled dude' but not good at the travel bit - always waiting for another airline to go bust etc. will enter therapy for travel anxiety as well as therapy for snakes. 8-)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby maziemoo » 15 Jun 2009, 14:22

I'd thoroughly echo everything that OG has said snoopy2 but also understand your concern having been part of the last airline (Excel) collapse and having to find an alternative flight very quickly.

It actually changed my whole travel schedule and if you are relatively untravelled like me and still trying to get to grips with some aspects of where you are going, can make for a bit of a stressful start to your holiday, mine was compounded by the fact that only when I reached Rhodes, did I realise I'd left the key to my suitcase padlock at home :twisted:

I arrived on Symi in a somewhat anxious state but thankfully was met off the hydrofoil by my lovely mates Allan, Julie and Deedle and fairly promptly whisked away for a destressing gin and tonic in Llapitas Village garden bar :geek: .
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby Andy W » 15 Jun 2009, 17:13

Wednesday evenings are a bit of a no-win situation for ANES because charter flight arrivals from the UK are spread out over the whole afternoon. If the boat leaves too late, earlier arriving people worry about where to leave their luggage, if it is too early it fails to connect with some flights altogether and some passengers bite their nails if there are flight delays, baggage delays, or transfer coaches that stop en route or don't know which harbour to go to because they have only just enough time at best.
In past years the ferry often went at 18:30 because it had to arrive from a day trip run to Symi, unload and reload. Now they use the Proteus because of the increasing demand for vehicle movements and erratic calls by "big boats" on their way to Athens, which helps to keep the island's food and drink supplies topped up for the new arrivals. Proteus goes to Kastellorizo on Wednesdays, it isn't back till 18:40, explaining the 19:15 departure.
This is actually helpful to people who have arrived on the 18:00 scheduled flight arrival from Athens, which has connections from all over Europe. With faster baggage reclaim from domestic flights, and a taxi to the port, the connection works.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby Kojak » 15 Jun 2009, 17:56

The "Marina" from Pireaus is often late. Last September we left on the 19.15 Proteus and the Marina was still loading and in fact followed us to Symi despite advertising an 1800 departure!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby snoopy2 » 15 Jun 2009, 23:49

:geek: Maziemoo - my faith in human kind is restored and a gin and tonic will restoreth me when i reach Symi - hope i meet at least some of all you forum folks :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby Snakey » 16 Jun 2009, 09:31

iona?
Snakey
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby Andy W » 16 Jun 2009, 10:23

I think OG means Rhodes Old Town
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Ferry Times

Postby benedetti » 17 Jun 2009, 15:16

[quote="Ozzie Geoff"]

Hells Bells and Buckets of Blood, can't somebody have a bit of harmless fun?
[/quote]send me a private message of what you have done now you rascal you.
benedetti
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Noticeboard