Laskarina

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Laskarina

Postby Shadrack » 07 Jul 2009, 14:20

Has the collapase of Laskarina in 2006 had much effect on tourism in Symi and islands such as Tilos and Halki?
Shadrack
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Richard » 07 Jul 2009, 15:37

The much-missed Laskarina introduced me to staying on Symi as well as to two other islands, for which much thanks. I continue to return here, as do three other people I have known for years.

Fortunately many of their properties (and reps) are still around in other guises. I fear that the present fall in number of visitors is due more to economics than the sad loss of Kate and Ian Murdoch.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Kojak » 07 Jul 2009, 17:37

I think the same has happened on Halki, someone has taken over managing and letting some of the properties but inevitably there has been an effect. The current economic downturn will unfortunately make things worse.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laskarina

Postby maziemoo » 07 Jul 2009, 21:03

Hi Shadrack,

Laskarina didn't collapse so much as Ian Murdoch took an educated decision to call it a day before things took a downward turn.

For me personally, although I loved Laskarina (so much so that I wanted to work for them), where Symi is concerned, their disappearance hasn't prevented me from visiting this beautiful island.

Frances the ex Laskarina rep still works on the island for George Kalodoukas and if anything the properties available are in better shape than they were in Laskarina days.

The standard of accommodation through Symi Visitor is also really excellent so I think there's no reason to worry on that score and there is no shortage of support and advice when it comes to booking your own flights.

As Richard says, if anything the current financial situation is having some impact on tourist trade generally but as Symi is so unique, I'm sure it will be able to ride the storm.
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Liz » 07 Jul 2009, 21:20

The Laskerina propeties on Halki have been taken over by Nissia Holidays who seem to be doing very well ( whenever I've enquired the one I want is always booked :?: )
Liz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Kon » 08 Jul 2009, 01:58

I agree the current financial situation that most countries are in at the moment is having a massive impact on most businesses but in saying that some savings and bargins are to be had if you look around. ;)
I was going to make a surprise visit this month ,airfares for us are so cheap at the momment and our dollar was on the rise to the Euro ,we looked around in accomodation in certain places in Greece and some had cheaper prices than 2006.
Anyways planning is one thing but my wifes work decided to give only half of the time off to what we needed which was no where near enough so i cancelled everything. :evil:
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Ozzie Geoff » 08 Jul 2009, 04:13

What a bummer Mate. :?
Yes air fares are cheap. Some friends of mine are off to the UK next week on that Asia AirX, under $1000 return. Perth-KL-UK. I know it does not land at Heathrow, Stanstead (?) I think.
The airline got a very good write up in a weekend paper. Only negative was the quality of the meals you had to pre-order and pay for.
What do you expect for under a grand for a seat? :idea:
Ozzie Geoff
Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Adriana » 08 Jul 2009, 07:35

The demise of XL has had a bigger impact on British tourism to Symi and Halki than the closure of Laskarina in that it means fewer affordable flights to Rhodes :( , particularly for those people flying from places other than London or Manchester. My mailbox is full of emails from frustrated would-be travellers who've discovered that by the time they have booked their flights there is nothing left over in the holiday budget for accommodation so they are forced to look for a cheaper destination and give Symi a miss. :cry:

Laskarina had a core of regular clientele to Symi and Halki who now come independently and many of whom still stay in the same houses that they did before with Laskarina. :D :D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Shadrack » 08 Jul 2009, 09:37

A bit off topic, but I was particularly wondering about Lipsi. As far as I know (but could of course be wrong) Laskarina was the only operator to go there.
Shadrack
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Eleanor » 08 Jul 2009, 22:40

Thank you Adrianna,We fly from Glasgow and can only afford to holiday on Symi through Olympic and have done for many years and hopefully many to come.
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Adriana » 09 Jul 2009, 07:57

At the moment Olympic doesn't seem to be doing anything about increasing their number of beds on Symi but perhaps in the present economic climate they are playing it safe and sticking with 40 to be sure of filling them.

Somebody emailed me recently complaining that Olympic has opened booking for 2010 and some options are already full for June! :D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laskarina

Postby MrsMcS » 09 Jul 2009, 14:40

Eleanor you must be rich, we have always found Olympic to be quite expensive! :) Certainly what they were charging to stay at the Nireus this year was ridiculous. :(
The demise of Excel/Kosmar has certainly been a blow to us. Having said that the last twice we have travelled with Manos as they were very competitively priced and offered day flights from Glasgow. They have now been taken over by Thomas Cook, so not sure how long they will remain competitively priced!! We certainly seem to have got a very good deal this year through Manos/Thomas Cook (will have to wait and see how it pans out), although booked it at the time of the demise of Excel so are flying from Manchester as the scottish flights had not been sorted out at that time.
As Adriana says us Scots don't get cheap flights to Rhodes and if it wasn't for package deals Findlay and I certainly wouldn't be able to visit Symi. Here's hoping none of the other package companies go bust as I couldn't bear the thought of not seeing Symi again :cry: !!
MrsMcS
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Kojak » 09 Jul 2009, 16:51

It's not just you bonny Scots, MrsMcS. I'm lucky, living within easy reach of Manchester. I met old friends from the North East in May. They'd had to come down to Manchester as there were no Olympic package deals from Newcastle until June!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laskarina

Postby snoopy2 » 09 Jul 2009, 16:59

:cry: When XL collapsed we had a job and a half to get flights from Scotland. Eventually got a Monarch flight from Edinburgh but booked through Thomas Cook. Cost an arm and a leg!!!! Never mind i am sure September will make us forget the 'ouch' in our pockets. :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Kojak » 09 Jul 2009, 18:31

I think Thomas Cook are cashing in on the demise of EXCEL. The prices quoted for flight only from Newcastle were nothing short of outrageous!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laskarina

Postby sugardens » 09 Jul 2009, 20:35

Well I hope someone's got some accommodation somewhere as I'm able to get away after all! I'm happy to contribute to the economy of either Halki or Symi (have already emailed to find out if there's room at the inn....) :D :D :D :?:
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Richard » 09 Jul 2009, 21:08

Well done, Su. I'm glad that you will be able to manage a trip after all. I expect someone will be able to find you a bed somewhere.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Kojak » 09 Jul 2009, 23:18

Really pleased for you Su! :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Oor Willie » 10 Jul 2009, 18:20

Re the earlier posts about flight price variations ; just booked flights for October 17th but we are going from Manchester as no Glasgow or Edinburgh flights were available and Newcastle was over �250 more expensive i.e. Monarch from Manchester �499 for 2 returns to Rhodes, Thomsons from Newcastle �770 !!! What a rip off
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Laskarina

Postby Kojak » 10 Jul 2009, 18:42

Thompsons are really taking advantage here!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Next

Return to Noticeboard