Hydrofoils - where are you??

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby D and E » 27 Jul 2009, 20:27

We remember a bar that was open quite a few years ago just on the next bend after That House (on the way up) that was an excellent stop between Yialos and The Rainbow - was it called The Donkey Bar and was it run by none other than Nikos or are we subject to joint hallucinatory recollections ?????
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 27 Jul 2009, 21:53

No, it was called the Donkey Bar and it was run by Dinos. Last heard of having married a German lady. I was to have been his best man when he was engaged to someone else - two or five girlfriends ago. It was a handy stop, but sometimes a deadly trap, especially when the "Special Raki" came out... :geek: :(
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby gregl » 28 Jul 2009, 02:25

Ok, back to the topic ... since it looks like I'm going to be spending a night on Rhodes, no late ferries to Symi and my flight arrives like 4pm on August 31st, what's a good cheap hotel within walking distance of the ferries?
gregl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Kojak » 28 Jul 2009, 09:52

Assuming you will be taking Symi II, Greg, which goes from Mandraki, the nearest hotel would be the Hermes, which is just across the road from the ferry landing. It's a while since I stopped there but their prices were reasonable.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby gregl » 29 Jul 2009, 02:53

Funny Kojak, that's the hotel my parents recommend and always use when they have a layover in Rodos, August rates seem to be about 65E, breakfast included. I found another cheap hotel that's nearby, for 35E that includes breakfast, called the AFRICA Hotel. It may be a bit of a walk to the ferry from Africa, but figure a cab can't be all that much.
gregl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby ola » 29 Jul 2009, 11:54

According to a review / home page at: it's a mere 600 meters from Mandraki. Might be a good choice.

You could call the Hermes (+302241027677) and ask for an "update" on the prices if your quoted prise is off a web page. The price used to be �50, season or no season. And a few rooms with low standard goes even cheaper....
ola
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Colette » 30 Jul 2009, 23:02

Oh Kojak, happy memories, I remember coming across you in the Donkey bar one afternoon about ten years ago when I was walking back from Pedi ( the old green bus before last having broken down)and you telling everyone it was my fault you had been in the Meltemi until 6.00 am, when I'd left at least 2 hours before you. :geek:
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 31 Jul 2009, 00:19

Hush Colette! One should never drink and tell! :geek:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Adriana » 31 Jul 2009, 09:22

At the moment the Hermes is quoting 80 euros for a double and 50 euros for a single. Well, it IS August.... :o
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby sugardens » 31 Jul 2009, 20:06

I've been away for a week and you're still on the same subject - well nearly!! Re where to stay on Rhodes, we're booked into the Attiki hotel which has good reviews on Tripadvisor. The owner will also collect from airport for 15 euros - cheaper than taxi.
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Richard » 31 Jul 2009, 22:03

Welcome back, Su. I hope you enjoyed your week on Bishop Rock.

The TA reviews are indeed pretty good and the refurbished Hotel is only a few yards from the Street of the Knights. I just hope you aren't kept awake by the ghosts of the Knights' horses galloping down the Street at midnight each night.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 01 Aug 2009, 00:03

I find that the spirits have a lot to answer for on Symi - the late Donkey Bar's "special" raki in particular
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 01 Aug 2009, 00:39

:o When myself and my children(adults) were last in Rhodes we trecked round the fortification to the 'English' gate where the 'Scots' knights would have been. Far from the madding crowd and having read ancient snippets of history - the whole bit of Street of the Knights and Sulamin and Richard the turd - i mean third is fascinating and to walk the walk as these guys did without the threat of an opposing army - spooky but thrilling and exciting at the same time. Maybe in a past life i was a knight!!! (Scottish of course1)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby sugardens » 01 Aug 2009, 10:18

Ooh! Can't wait! Are these spooky Knights tall dark and handsome??
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 01 Aug 2009, 11:25

Er... what's wrong with being short, fair and bald?
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Richard » 01 Aug 2009, 12:45

I see that the Aegli has finally disappeared from the MarineTraffic map of Mandraki this morning although she still appears on the photo search page.
Has she finally succumbed to the Attack of the Crabs, like the Maria or has she switched off her Decca Navigator? If she had two of these, would she be a double-Decca?
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kon » 01 Aug 2009, 12:49

[quote="Kojak"]

Er... what's wrong with being short, fair and bald?
[/quote]
Not scary :D :D :D :P
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby gregl » 08 Aug 2009, 16:20

I thought it was 12e from the airport to rodos town, I gave the cab driver a real dirty look when he asked for 18e ... funny! woops

The Africa Hotel wasn't that bad at all for 38e for a single, breakfast included, I took a cab to the ferry with 2 suitcases for I think roughly 6E.

[quote="sugardens"]

I've been away for a week and you're still on the same subject - well nearly!! Re where to stay on Rhodes, we're booked into the Attiki hotel which has good reviews on Tripadvisor. The owner will also collect from airport for 15 euros - cheaper than taxi.
[/quote]
gregl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Previous

Return to Noticeboard