Hydrofoils - where are you??

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Postby Janie » 24 Jul 2009, 15:44

Maziemoo - the Ierapetra docks by the Clocktower rather than the other side like the others which may be why you've not spotted it - although it is vast and hard to miss! You must have had your ouzo specs on!
Janie
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 24 Jul 2009, 15:58

:D :D :D .....highly likely Janie!
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Adriana » 24 Jul 2009, 16:06

It's also possible that it wasn't running when Mazie was here - the big boat contract changes from month to month and some months there isn't one at all...
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby ola » 24 Jul 2009, 16:48

The C and A Ferries with Marina had the contract in early May.
ola
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Postby Kojak » 24 Jul 2009, 17:50

I can vouch for the fact that Mazie wouldn't have noticed a really late ferry arrival in May - I was probably propping her up in some bar or other... :P
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby maziemoo » 24 Jul 2009, 19:40

Someone around here is going to get such a slap next time I see him ;) :P ....assuming I can strike straight after all that ouzo ;) !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 25 Jul 2009, 00:38

On past performance... I reckon I'm safe ;)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Colette » 25 Jul 2009, 14:34

I've often wondered why the taxi drivers don't organise a rota so a couple of them work later each night.Staying up in Chorio always results in a mad scramble for everyone to get away from the harbour before the last taxi.It's a good job there's plenty of places to continue the evening's jollities up in the village.I'd happily pay an after hours premium to the taxi driver avoid the long haul up the Kalistrata after a few shandies :geek:
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby Kojak » 25 Jul 2009, 14:53

Good idea, Colette. When I think of the times we struggled up the Kalistrata in the August heat at some unearthly hour of the morning. A taxi service even up to 2am would have been a blessing. We were saved by a friend's wife who cajoled us up the steps with words like "It's just around the next corner"!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 25 Jul 2009, 16:53

:geek: :geek: so what time do the taxis stop? We are staying in Chorio so wouldn't like to be caught out!! It would take me until the next morning if i had to tackle the steps!! :geek: :geek:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby gregl » 26 Jul 2009, 05:50

Worst part of those steps, you sober up when you reach the top.
gregl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Kojak » 26 Jul 2009, 14:31

That all depends how much "dutch courage" you needed to face the Kalistrata. As I recall from our August holidays in Symi we needed rather a lot. This was not helped by George at the Harani bar coming out with a tray of B52s just as we were ready to leave... :geek: :geek:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby gregl » 26 Jul 2009, 20:10

Isn't there a nice breeze at the top though? Keep telling yourself that with each step!
gregl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Mille » 26 Jul 2009, 20:17

[quote="gregl"]

Isn't there a nice breeze at the top though? Keep telling yourself that with each step!
[/quote]

Or just stop and enjoy the view! Take a few photos, drink a little water and you'll be fine.

Maziemoo and I did the same several times last year :)
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Colette » 26 Jul 2009, 23:08

Hi Snoopy2, from my recent experience in June and September the last bus is 10.00 and last taxi somewhere between 11.00 and 11.30., hence the Chorio scramble! Mille, I've tried the stopping to take photos of the view excuse but nobody believes me because it's dark and my point and press camera is obviously not up to the job, works very well during the day though ;) Never mind,however we all get back "upstairs" it's all part of the rich tapestry of a holiday in Symi.Friends who were in Symi a few weeks ago were waiting in vain for the last taxi that didn't arrive and Lakis went and got his bus out again and took everyone to Chorio and Pedi,this is a prime example of what makes Symi so special :D
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Postby snoopy2 » 27 Jul 2009, 11:13

[quote="Colette"]

Hi Snoopy2, from my recent experience in June and September the last bus is 10.00 and last taxi somewhere between 11.00 and 11.30., hence the Chorio scramble! Mille, I've tried the stopping to take photos of the view excuse but nobody believes me because it's dark and my point and press camera is obviously not up to the job, works very well during the day though ;) Never mind,however we all get back "upstairs" it's all part of the rich tapestry of a holiday in Symi.Friends who were in Symi a few weeks ago were waiting in vain for the last taxi that didn't arrive and Lakis went and got his bus out again and took everyone to Chorio and Pedi,this is a prime example of what makes Symi so special :D [/quote]
:) :) Thanks for the info Colette. Doing my chicken run every morning - 1 mile away - i am pooped so have now an early bed body clock so the times given by you should suit me very well - to bed early and up early with the local chickens in Symi :) :)
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Postby Adriana » 27 Jul 2009, 12:35

There are also excellent late night/early morning watering holes in Chorio so it is easy to start the evening the harbour, migrate upwards on the last bus or taxi and spend the rest of the night within comfortable reach of home.

:D
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Richard » 27 Jul 2009, 19:35

We have counted the steps on a few occasions, taken the average and I think the following figures are about correct:

From the Trata.

That House .... 139
Embassy .... 191
SymiDream .... 329
The Rainbow .... 384 (by which time we had to sit down for a while and get my fluids up to normal).

Has anyone else been silly enough to count them? If not then perhaps Mayor Lefteris should walk up with a pot of red/blue paint and mark them occasionally, just to depress anyone on the way up. Would the Archaeologia object? The occasional brass plate every 100 steps, perhaps.
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby Kojak » 27 Jul 2009, 20:12

No brass plates or numbers even, that would just depress me. After several shandies I'm gullible enough to believe someone telling me "it's just around the next corner"
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Postby D and E » 27 Jul 2009, 20:27

We remember a bar that was open quite a few years ago just on the next bend after That House (on the way up) that was an excellent stop between Yialos and The Rainbow - was it called The Donkey Bar and was it run by none other than Nikos or are we subject to joint hallucinatory recollections ?????
D and E
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Noticeboard