Watersituation

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Watersituation

Postby Edmon » 09 Aug 2009, 21:54

Hi. How is the watersituation at the moment. Is it still rationed?

Edmon
Edmon
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Watersituation

Postby Allan » 09 Aug 2009, 22:05

That's a good question Edmon and I don't know the answer but I thought I'd take the opportunity to welcome you to the chat page.

Maybe Adriana can enlighten us tomorrow when she's in the office.
Allan
Administrator
Administrator

Watersituation

Postby snapperjon » 09 Aug 2009, 22:08

We were there a couple of weeks ago and Symi was surrounded by the stuff, so no worries there. And welcome to the forum, Edmon!
snapperjon
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Watersituation

Postby Adriana » 10 Aug 2009, 07:42

Most of the more populous areas such as Yialos and central Chorio are getting water at least some of the time but the upper parts of Chorio and Lieni are still on short rations of an hour or so a day except on Sundays when there is none at all. I look after a few gardens up there and we are having to jerry can water in to keep the trees alive which is quite a business, particularly as we are running short of water ourselves now.

Meanwhile they are running sample tests on the desalination plant and the quality of the water produced is reported to be good. :) They ran the tests using the power station as the wind turbine still isn't operational.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Watersituation

Postby Kon » 10 Aug 2009, 12:06

Well done Symi even though with the utmost respect you are but a dot in the ocean in comparison to Australia you are doing something about your water situation unlike here in Australia they are still squabbling on what to do and we are about to have green sludge come through our taps :evil: :evil: .Maybe we should look and learn from you. :)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Watersituation

Postby Bluenose » 10 Aug 2009, 13:47

I remember one year when the water went off, just as we were about to have a shower to go out in the evening, no problem says shower partner, just open a bottle of water and lets go, we both showered, washed hair, with a bottle of mineral water between the two of us.
Bluenose
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Watersituation

Postby Adriana » 10 Aug 2009, 13:51

I believe it was Lawrence Durrell who, on being told that Cyprus was perennially short of water, said that he was quite prepared to bath in wine if necessay :D :)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Watersituation

Postby Kojak » 10 Aug 2009, 17:31

One year in Yialos, the morning after I arrived, I was soaped up in the shower when the water dried up. I had a bottle of water in the fridge but being August, by the time I got it most of the suds had dried to a crust!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Watersituation

Postby sugardens » 10 Aug 2009, 21:36

As long as you use Bodyshop shampoo it's ok to wash in the sea!
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Watersituation

Postby Kojak » 10 Aug 2009, 23:35

Hmmm - makes a note to avoid floating suds and warm spots! :o
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Watersituation

Postby Adriana » 11 Aug 2009, 08:27

Whenever we have water to spare I fill up all the empty drinking water bottles and put crates of them in the bathroom and kitchen for emergencies, as well as a few stashes in the shed for the chickens and cats. :P

Down in the office the water from the air con drains into a bucket from which we fill empty water bottles for the irons in the laundry downstairs and also for flushing the loo and watering the plants on the balcony. :) :oops:
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Watersituation

Postby sugardens » 11 Aug 2009, 17:43

Adriana you are an example to us all.....remember doing the same in the 70's in the UK when there was a water shortage. I slung a hose over the washing line and let it trickle on me and the kids - water collected in baby bath (in which we were standing) and was used to water the tomatoes! No aircon in my day so lay on cold floor at night!!!! Ah, those were the days...........
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Watersituation

Postby maziemoo » 11 Aug 2009, 18:39

[quote="Adriana"]

I believe it was Lawrence Durrell who, on being told that Cyprus was perennially short of water, said that he was quite prepared to bath in wine if necessay :D :)
[/quote]

Sorry folks but I'm about to digress.....Ahhh yes, beautiful Northern Cyprus :mrgreen: and in particular Kyrenia and Bellapais. I recall Durrell's account of Bellapais Abbey and the sound of the swallows as they chirp when flying around the huge hall where they now hold wonderful concerts. Even though he wrote his account in the Bitter Lemons of Cyprus many years ago, the atmosphere was just as he described it when I last visited about 5 years ago.....such a magical and romantic place....so far it's the only place that has tugged on my heart strings in the same way in which Symis does....I still get goose bumps when I think of it :mrgreen: !
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Watersituation

Postby Adriana » 12 Aug 2009, 09:15

Kyrenia and Bellapais are indeed quite something. :mrgreen: I was there about 18 years ago with sailing friends. We weren't allowed to take our boats around but there was an arrangement whereby foreign passport holders could cross the Green Line at the Ledra Palace Hotel UN check point as long as we were back before nightfall.
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Watersituation

Postby Edmon » 14 Aug 2009, 13:36

OK, seems like there will be water enough for us when we arrive at the 23 of August. Next problem may be finding a ferry. They seem to be a bit erratic at the moment, don't they?

Edmon
Edmon
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Watersituation

Postby maziemoo » 14 Aug 2009, 16:16

As it's part of the busiest time of the year Edmon, I'm sure there will be something....

Not long for you now....do enjoy yourselves :)
maziemoo
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard