October Ferries

Ask questions about the island of Symi

October Ferries

Postby Buzzy » 20 Sep 2009, 11:45

I am arriving in Rhodes at 3pm Wednesday 21st October with Olympic holidays. Can anyone clarify with me what the transfer to Symi will consist of. I have asked Olympic holidays and they have refferred me to their brochure which inidicates a ferry departing at 6.30pm but as far as I can ascertain there is only one ferry (Proteus) departing at 7.15pm. Is that correct? Also we are on a 5.45am flight out of Rhodes on Sunday 1st November. I presume that we wil have to go back to Rhodes from Symi on the Saturday. Does anyone know what is likely to happen there? The admin team in the Uk don't seem to know how this is being done and can't answer my questions.

Also can anyone tell me where on the harbour the boats are likely to come in. We are staying in the Nireus Hotel just by the clock tower. I wondered if we would just be getting of the ship and walking to the Nireus or if transport would need to be provided. Thanks.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

October Ferries

Postby snoopy2 » 20 Sep 2009, 12:01

[quote="Buzzy"]

I am arriving in Rhodes at 3pm Wednesday 21st October with Olympic holidays. Can anyone clarify with me what the transfer to Symi will consist of. I have asked Olympic holidays and they have refferred me to their brochure which inidicates a ferry departing at 6.30pm but as far as I can ascertain there is only one ferry (Proteus) departing at 7.15pm. Is that correct? Also we are on a 5.45am flight out of Rhodes on Sunday 1st November. I presume that we wil have to go back to Rhodes from Symi on the Saturday. Does anyone know what is likely to happen there? The admin team in the Uk don't seem to know how this is being done and can't answer my questions.
:o I have just come back from Symi. I too arrived on an afternoon flight (travelling independently) and was advised by Adriana of Symi Visitor that the boat would leave from Akandia - very near Mandriki - at 7:30 p.m. If it is from Akandia the ticket office is actually a white van near the port gates. A chap will just turn up about 1/2hr before departure and start up his computor using a small generator. With such an early morning flight on return you will have to leave the day before and go to Rhodes. You will get your tickets for return from the ticket office at the harbour in Symi - near the shops and tavernas at the corner of the harbour near the sunflower laundry. The boats usually go to Rhodes or Mandriki harbour. Leave the boat and cross the road bearing slightly left and the taxi rank is set back ffor a taxi to the airport. We left from the clocktower but that is not always the point to leave from - ask when you get your tickets. Good luck and you will love Symi. :) :)

Also can anyone tell me where on the harbour the boats are likely to come in. We are staying in the Nireus Hotel just by the clock tower. I wondered if we would just be getting of the ship and walking to the Nireus or if transport would need to be provided. Thanks.
[/quote]
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Sunshine » 20 Sep 2009, 12:51

[quote="Buzzy"]

[/quote]

The ferry should drop you off on the far side of the harbour opposite the clock tower. Your luggage will be taken round to the Nireus for you in a truck. All you have to do is wander around he harbour to the hotel, avoiding the many bars on the way, just as we all do! :D :D :geek: :geek: :geek: :D :D :) (not).
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Buzzy » 20 Sep 2009, 14:21

Thanks. It's funny how it's so hard to get info out of the tour operators. It's our first visit to Symi and we are completely new to everything about it. We are very much looking forward to our stay there.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Kojak » 20 Sep 2009, 14:22

The ANES website doesn't give much information on this. Olympic will take you to either Akandia harbour for the Proteus or Mandraki harbour for Symi II. Symi II is doing extra runs to cover for the loss of the Hydrofoil. Certainly for your return trip you will have to leave Symi on Saturday 31st October. The usual procedure is that you will be taken to the International hotel in Rhodes and picked up from there to go to the airport. The map below shows Manraki harbour and the International hotel. I'm sure you'll enjoy Symi. I'll be joining you there on Wednesday 23rd! :)

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2474/3884438412_bbb2ba301e.jpg[/img]
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Richard » 20 Sep 2009, 23:20

Sunshine said: [quote="Buzzy"]

I was about to say "four hours to the clock tower" methinks you may have taken a little detour or 6. I think I have seen reference to Ian the rep before. I wonder if he realises he is becoming famous.
[/quote]
:) Think he does know he is famous! I spoke to him when over first two weeks sept and he is a very helpful chap. told him i recognised him from the forum. It was our first proper visit to Symi and we loved it. Did the beach tour - and went exploring round the houses above the museum. Already planning a walking holiday on Symi next year. Hope you enjoy yourelves as much as we did. :geek:
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

October Ferries

Postby sugardens » 21 Sep 2009, 11:01

:?: :?: If, like me, you prefer a less debauched visit to Symi it is perfectly possible to walk pass all the bars unscathed!!!!
We've just got back from a blissful time on Symi which I am sober enough to remember!

To all of you just about to lug your bags to the airport, I hope you have a wonderful time and if you get to Nimborio do give our best to Manoli (taxi boat) who gave us a special early lift back so we could catch the 4.00 ferry...what a star! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Richard » 21 Sep 2009, 11:11

Welcome back, Su. I'm glad that the denizenss of the Chat Room were right: you did enjoy yourself. Difficult not to, really. Lots of swimming?
Richard
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Kojak » 21 Sep 2009, 18:18

Welcome back, Sue. Delighted you had a good time (if a little sober and boring ;) ) My suitcase is half full, but none of my clothes are in there yet! Tonight I MUST iron something :cry:

Poppet, sorry to hear about your broken leg and missing Symi as a result. Sounds as if a reset operation is in the offing. I've had a couple of those so I hope things go well for you - do let us know! As for Mazie keeping me in order - Hah! quite the reverse m'dear! I will return to my normal mode as a model of sobriety without certain bad influences to lead me astray! :P
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Colette » 21 Sep 2009, 19:23

I'm joining the club Kojak, I also MUST do some ironing tonight. See you on Thursday :D
Colette
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Kojak » 21 Sep 2009, 19:52

Er... Colette... while you're in the ironing mood... any chance...? :)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

October Ferries

Postby muppet » 21 Sep 2009, 20:25

See you on the Proteous Kojak.
I assume it is still going from the old commercial harbour (otherwise known as the end of the world)?
muppet
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

October Ferries

Postby muppet » 21 Sep 2009, 20:27

Just noticed that Buzzy is flying in on Wednesday. Where are you flying from and will we see you on the Proteous too?
muppet
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Kojak » 21 Sep 2009, 20:55

Look forward to it, Muppet. The commercial harbour has been taken over by cruise liners and has a duty free shop to fleece them as they get off the ship so mere travellers aren't allowed in there now. The Proteus has been banished to Akandia harbour - the next one along and it is the end of the world. I was there in May and it looked like an HGV parking lot. One mobile bar van and that was it. Apparently there is a rep there now who looks after the luggage, at least there is for Olympic travellers. So people can make it to a nearby cafe for a seat! I'll be with a couple of friends from Newcastle so if you see a group of 3 people I'll be the handsome one! ;)
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

October Ferries

Postby muppet » 21 Sep 2009, 21:38

Thanks Kojak,

Yep, that is the one we went from in June. Thought that was the Commercial harbour. Good thing I asked.

See you soon,

Muppet
x
muppet
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Eleanor » 21 Sep 2009, 22:21

Hey guys, I am so envious, you all sound really excited. I actually wish I was ironing tonight. Muppet and Kojak I wish I was joining you at the end of the world. x
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Kojak » 21 Sep 2009, 22:31

Reminds me of one of those old romantic films - "He promised to take her to the ends of the earth - so he took her to Akandia harbour" :D What a pity we can't meet up, Eleanor. One year perhaps!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Oor Willie » 21 Sep 2009, 23:03

Have a great time all of you and don't drink all the Mythos ouzo etc.leave some for me in October. Colette the new CD is ready if you are back out next June at the usual time I'll bring one out for you or e mail me your address and I'll send it to you all the best Willie and Heather
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Buzzy » 22 Sep 2009, 10:17

I'll be on the Olympic flight (Monarch) that is going from Gatwick to Symi to arrive at 3pm in Rhodes so I expect it will be the Protues for us.
Buzzy
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

October Ferries

Postby Kojak » 22 Sep 2009, 11:21

Yes, Buzzy, you will be on the 19.15 Proteus. I land at 4pm from Manchester and my friends arrive from Newcastle about the same time. If the baggage handlers take a long tea break we might all be in the baggage reclaim area together!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Next

Return to Noticeboard