Glasgow flight changes

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Glasgow flight changes

Postby Eleanor » 14 Jan 2010, 16:45

Just got letter through today from Olympic Hols telling us about ourflight changes. Carrier no longer British Midland but now Thomas Cook also change to flight times, no longer arrive Rhodes Wed 2pm but now 11.30pm so overnight stay on Rhodes till ferry Thurs morn but hey ho should make lunch ( I hope, dont know which ferry or what time on Thursday morn) anyone got any idea?)
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby peterv » 14 Jan 2010, 19:01

This is based on observation only, but it could be Symi 2 or if you are really lucky Proteus!! :geek:

My flight is due to arrive at 15.00 on Wednesday so with luck there will be no overnight stay :)
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby Oor Willie » 14 Jan 2010, 20:10

Eleanor, this is the flight we got last June and the one we;re booked on for this June. Last year we had time for a quick drink and a snack in Rhodes town got a few hours kip and made the 08.30 Dodecanese and were sitting in Yialos having a "coffee" with Pat and another couple of friends by 09.30
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby Eleanor » 14 Jan 2010, 20:19

Hi Willie, thanks for your info, I hope that is whats going to be. Dont mind spending night on Rhodes Olympic putting us for some kip. You sure about early ferry Thurs morn, thats my concern. ta much
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby muppet » 14 Jan 2010, 23:51

I thought that last year, those staying over on Rhodes were not necesarily on the early ferry but had to go on the one which went to Panormitis first, as this was a cheaper ferry. Hope I am wrong Eleanor .... and I usually am ;)
muppet
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby Oor Willie » 15 Jan 2010, 00:26

Olympic may well want to put you on the later cheaper slower Symi2 Eleanor whih goes via Panormitis and takes about 3 hours all in to get to Yialos, but if you don't mind spending your own cash you can pick your own ferry. The 08.30 Dodecanese has been running for at least the last 2 years. Heather and I have been traveling independently for the last few visits and one of the advantages is making your own shedule, as much as I like a visit to Panormitis I prefer to go during my stay not on the way over after a day traveling.
Oor Willie
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby Adriana » 15 Jan 2010, 11:41

The summer ferry schedules are usually out by April but are subject to change (remember the off-on-off-on-off never to be seen again Aegli for example? :evil: )

If you check on line about a week before travelling you should have a reasonable idea of whether you can catch the 08.30 Dodecanese Seaways or have to take the tourist route via Panormitis.

The Dodecanese Seaways boats lost a lot of credibility after they discovered Halki and suddenly left Symi in the lurch last summer with no boats from Kos on Mondays after years of providing a reliable twice daily service in both directions. This winter they are ignoring Symi completely apart from Sundays. So it is no longer safe to presume that they are a safe bet. :? :idea: :o
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby Jan » 15 Jan 2010, 13:52

I can second that - last year we booked a Sunday flight months in advance confident of the Spanos to get us over on Monday morning but it was not to be. In the event we caught the Proteus and were still in Yialos in time to have a coffee with the landlord, dump our bags and catch a taxi boat to the beach.

That said, I'd prefer the Spanos to run Mondays in September this year if at all possible. Only another 34 weeks to go!
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby Eleanor » 15 Jan 2010, 22:00

Hi ,Willie,Muppet,Adrianna and Jan and everyone else who has posted
and e-mailed I think I will organise my own ferry crossing.
Thanks , after years of visiting Symi I still panic about ferries.
Thanks again xx
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby muppet » 17 Jan 2010, 20:36

We will have the coffees ready and waiting for when you dock at 9:20 :)
muppet
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby Eleanor » 17 Jan 2010, 20:48

Thanks M, does that mean Mr M and Mr T takes the
bags to Irini and leaves us girls for a good well earned chat.
xx :geek:
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Glasgow flight changes

Postby Kojak » 18 Jan 2010, 00:50

Poor fellas - all those steps while you sit gossiping over coffee!
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Return to Noticeboard