YOGA!

Ask questions about the island of Symi

YOGA!

Postby sugardens » 22 Jan 2010, 14:50

:?: :?: Does anyone hold yoga classes on Symi? Or Pilates? I know some of our contributors will be horrified at the thought of anything more energetic than lifting their arms with glass in hand - yes you know who you are - but nevertheless may know what's going on behind closed doors (or outdoors). :?: :?:
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

YOGA!

Postby Kojak » 22 Jan 2010, 17:52

Exercise? :o :o :o :o :(
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

YOGA!

Postby Eleanor » 23 Jan 2010, 20:19

Hi Sugardens, I spend at least 2 hrs a day doing yoga and have been for the last 30 yrs (oh I started in my grannys womb) When on Symi I just like to do some gentle stuff and breathing but yoga is always with you wherever you are. x
Eleanor
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

YOGA!

Postby sugardens » 23 Jan 2010, 20:31

:) Eleanor I'm soooo impressed that you do yoga for 2 hrs every day! I manage half an hour tops + some pilates and I've only been doing yoga for the last 6 years. I totally agree with you that it's with you wherever you are - yogic breathing in busy supermarkets is especially helpful!! :)
As for Kojak - at least you've been digging!! :D :D

But reason I asked is because my spouse was sure he saw a group of people practising yoga on flat roof a couple of years ago.....I think he's got the wrong island myself but I could be wrong??
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

YOGA!

Postby Sunshine » 25 Jan 2010, 13:37

...I think that a Scandinavian tour group used to do yoga on the flat roof next to the Aliki hotel (just below the Dorian studios)...
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

YOGA!

Postby Mille » 25 Jan 2010, 13:53

There's a Danish woman who used have yoga classes on Symi as a part of a package deal.

Holistic holiday was the name as far as I remember.

I've searched the internet, but I think she's out of business now.
Maybe Adriana can help us here!
Mille
Administrator
Administrator

YOGA!

Postby peterv » 25 Jan 2010, 19:27

The Symi "body shop" just up from Sylligos restaurant was offering some alternative therapies last autumn so it may be worth asking there. :(
peterv
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

YOGA!

Postby sugardens » 25 Jan 2010, 22:32

Thanks Sunshine for helping my husband feeling extremely smug cos he's right - again! I just hate that!
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

YOGA!

Postby Kojak » 26 Jan 2010, 10:20

Su, we men can't help being right all of the time.... :P
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

YOGA!

Postby Jan » 26 Jan 2010, 10:56

I'm pretty sure that Mille's right - the classes you're thinking of were indeed run by a Danish lady but I recall them being exercise/stretching/gymnastics rather than yoga. We used to refer to them as the Women's League of Health and Beauty - those of a certain age will know what I mean.

I think the venue may have moved to Nos - if I'm up early enough I sometimes see sportily-clad people heading in that direction armed with yoga mats.
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

YOGA!

Postby Sunshine » 26 Jan 2010, 15:48

[quote="sugardens"]

Thanks Sunshine for helping my husband feeling extremely smug cos he's right - again! I just hate that!
[/quote]

...I aim to please :) :) :) ...
Sunshine
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

YOGA!

Postby sugardens » 26 Jan 2010, 19:27

I shall ignore Kojak's comments as he's only a bloke. :idea:
But Jan I remember being taken to see my aunt perform on stage as she was a member of the League of Health and Beauty in Isleworth. She and her co-performers were all women wearing aertex vests and long baggy green shorts, white socks and pumps. I remember my mum telling me not to laugh. I didn't know why she thought it was funny - I was about 10 years old at the time - but I do remember feeling really embarrased seeing my auntie gavortting on the stage!!
Maybe it was just an exercise class that we saw - I think it would be a great idea if Kojak set an example and rose at dawn to go on a jog followed by long swim, stretches, etc.....and then maybe a healthy diet of fruit and yoghurt. No alcohol of course. I'm sure all the chaps would love this regime - they just need some encouragement! :) :)
sugardens
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

YOGA!

Postby Kojak » 26 Jan 2010, 23:06

Er... I'm often up at dawn, but it's usually on my way home! :P :geek: :geek: :geek:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

YOGA!

Postby Jan » 27 Jan 2010, 11:04

The one(?) September Kojak was around when we were I expected to see him on every 'Hugo walk'. And was disappointed each time :cry:

Sue - there are some wonderful pics of the WLfH and B on the web. It was bad enough having to wear gym kit at school (and I liked sport, just not the baggy knickers) but the thought that consenting adults did so in public...
Jan
Senior Visitor
Senior Visitor

Return to Noticeboard