Volcanic Ash problems

Ask questions about the island of Symi

Volcanic Ash problems

Postby Andy W » 17 Apr 2010, 12:51

Ironically, given that there is a real volcano right next to Symi, on Nissyros, it is the Icelandic eruption that is causing all kinds of problems to tourists trying to get to Symi or back home again, as well as to home owners trying to get to their properties, seasonal residents arriving, and permament residents with family business elsewhere.

I've been writing a travel blog for Symi Visitor Accommodation which can be found at
http://symivisitor-accommodation.com/blog/
and during the emergency situation I'll be updating it every few hours with whatever accurate information I can glean from many sources.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Volcanic Ash problems

Postby Kojak » 18 Apr 2010, 17:02

It's a very useful update, Andy, thanks for that. I was rather complacent until yesterday when I heard that comment that the eruption could go on for months, and Symi is only a month away (I hope) I suppose much depends on the wind direction. Keep up the good work.
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Volcanic Ash problems

Postby Kon » 19 Apr 2010, 02:58

Perhaps if we could get everyone in Europe to face North and with a deep breath blow as hard as they could we might just get this cloud of dust to turn. :D

I hope it does go away soon so you could all travel to your destinations. ;)
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Volcanic Ash problems

Postby Kon » 19 Apr 2010, 08:22

Just noticed this on the SV camera ,wonder if the ashes are making things dirty?
[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1802/video16248dc.jpg[/img]
Kon
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Volcanic Ash problems

Postby Kojak » 19 Apr 2010, 10:31

My bin men are late - they'll probably blame it on volcanic ash! :D
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Volcanic Ash problems

Postby snoopy2 » 19 Apr 2010, 20:59

:?: Kojak - why do you wait for the bin men or is the reply going to be like a fuller version of War and Peace? We only ever see bin men round once a fortnight - very quiet and obliging. Am i missing something about your blokes? :?:
snoopy2
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Volcanic Ash problems

Postby Ange » 20 Apr 2010, 23:07

Great work Andy. Been following avidly got a friend stuck in Jamaica.

Hope your flight runs on Saturday!
Ange
Super Visitor
Super Visitor

Volcanic Ash problems

Postby Kojak » 20 Apr 2010, 23:28

Snoopy2 - quiet and obliging bin men? :o Where do you live? I must move there! We get bins tossed in the general direction of your house - and that's on a good day. Despite covering my bin with my house number I sometimes don't get one back at all or I get someone elses' dirty old thing. Often they miss me out completely (I live in the upper corner of a small cul-de-sac so presumably they can't be a***d to walk a few steps) There is much more but in deference to War and Peace I'll leave it at that and have a nice cup of tea to calm down grrrrrr. :evil:
Kojak
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Volcanic Ash problems

Postby Adriana » 21 Apr 2010, 08:04

@Kon, We have had sandstorm conditions over Symi for a few days and as there are tourists about (in theory, anyway!) the municipal workers sluice down the harbour with sea water every morning. Helps to settle the dust, even if it does mean that anything on the streets winds up in the harbour... (what happened to our beating head against wall smiley?)
Adriana
Inveterate Visitor
Inveterate Visitor

Volcanic Ash problems

Postby Andy W » 21 Apr 2010, 12:50

Kojak - is the bin men's attitude because you've left your empties for them to take away instead of using the bottle bank?

Adriana - isn't it lucky that the harbour is so exceptionally deep. Centuries of sweeping and sluicing down would have silted up most places.
Andy W
Persistent Visitor
Persistent Visitor

Return to Noticeboard